Adjustmentscrew on steering

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Adjustmentscrew on steering

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

There is an adjustmentscrew on the powersteering colom at the bottom. Does it take up play on the steering and is it's adjustments coarse - one turn inwards has little effect ?
4*4 regards
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Adjustmentscrew on steering

Post by Mr_B »

Everdt, there's 2 adjustment controls/screws on the steering box, the first being the big screw nut where the steering column comes out the box, this one must not be tampered with! it has to be set to a specific preload with a torque gauge(special tool)! You get this one wrong and your steering with never be right! The second is towards the bottom of the box, left hand side(radiator side). The screw is locked in place with a size 17 nut. This screw sets the tension on the worm/nut gear assembly, too lose and your steering will be all over the show with play in the center position, too tight and your steering will be too... and you will damage/wear the box internals down fast... very expensive indeed! To setup the bottom screw 100% you need to jack up the front of the car on tressle stands... turn the screw out so you can feel it's free, then screw it back in until you can feel it's touching(taken up the play)... check if you can feel a little drag/friction on the steering wheel, if not turn the screw in a little(1/2 turn), do this until just a little drag can be felt on the steering wheel... lock the nut back in place... take the car of the stands and take it for a test drive... it the steering is a little tight, turn the screw 1/4 back... whatever you do, don't fiddle with the big adjustment screw on top, else you going to have endless problems! Note: when you tighten the lock nut back in place, keep the screwdriver in place, so that the screw doesn't tighten further!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

This is a exploded view of the box internals, the adjustment screw is bottom right:
steering_box_exploded_view.jpg
Note as well that it is possible for one of the worm gear ball bearing to jump out of the worm/nut assembly(if there is too much play between the worm/nut), if this happens no amount of external adjustment will help, the box will have to be stripped down and rebuilt by a professional, I don't think it's a DIY job, because it's a pain/difficult to get all the 5mm ball bearing back into the worm gear channel! I done it, won't do it again easily!

Mr B
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Thanks alot Mr T much appreciatted
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Is this applicable to power steering too :?:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Yes, I was referring to the power steering box! But believe non-power is the same! If you look at an exploded view of each, the mech components are just about the same! But but but... this is for the SFA steering boxes, not sure if the newer boxes are the same!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Adjustment on the steeringdrag link also reduce steeringwheel play.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Lollie wrote:Adjustment on the steeringdrag link also reduce steeringwheel play.
Dawie

Waar is die steering drag link?

Groete
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

louis fourie wrote:
Lollie wrote:Adjustment on the steeringdrag link also reduce steeringwheel play.
Dawie

Waar is die steering drag link?

Groete
Hi Louis
Ek het nou ongelukkig nie n prentjie vir jou nie,miskien sal een van die ander manne kan help.Ek praat van die steering drag link op die sfa,ek weet nie of jou bakkie so iets het nie.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Louis, I don't know if your model has an adjustable drag-link, but the drag-link is the linkage between the steering arm (attached to the wheel hub assembly) and the Pitman arm (the arm that is attached to the steering box). Th attached pic is off a different vehicle but shows the different components.

steering links01.jpg
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
tim_warner
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Nampula
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux SFA 2.8l

Post by tim_warner »

Hey guys. Up in Mozambique and need a hand. I just had a mechanic help me with the oil seal for my steering box and after he took everything apart and put the new seal in and then put it back in the car there is a lot of steering wheel play. 3 inches when I turn the steering wheel before the wheels move. I lifted the car but the adjustment screw won't go in any more. It's in all the way or something. I know that my tie rod ends are worn but when I feel the play in my steering wheel the pitman arm doesn't even move. What now?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Have you released the locking nut before trying to adjust the screw?
To God be the glory
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Hi. I realise this is an old thread, but what is acceptable steering play on the Kzte?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides