Spare wheel release mechanism

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Spare wheel release mechanism

Post by Harold »

Undoubtedly the worst thing on a Hilux and probably the worst of any other vehicle is the spare wheel ratchet for raising and lowering the spare wheel.
I have had countless problems. The ratchet mechanism is exposed to dust, water and mud and often does not work. It jams and then takes considerable effort and patience, plus a few tins of Q20, or similar, to get the dam thing to release the spare wheel. If one mounts a long-range tank then you have a huge problem, as it is then impossible to get near the mechanism. Imagine sitting in the middle of the Kalahari with a flat and unable to get your spare wheel.

Has anybody know how to change/modify the system so that it works?

I know that mounting the spare on a swing bracket at the back of the vehicle is an option. As far as rear mounting is concerned, what is the best method?

I have seen a mounting made by Frontrunner but it looks flimsy to me. Is it capable taking the pounding of poor road conditions?

Harold
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “The Workshop”