Klap geluid

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Smurf
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: '93 hilux 4x4 d/c (2.2).31"bfg muds,long range fuel tank,tjm front bumper,canvas canopy,duel battery system,tnt branch+ss exhaust.

Klap geluid

Post by Smurf »

Het onlangs n klap geluid agter gekom as ek stuurwiel vinnig draai :eh: Die klap geluid is nie BAIE hard nie en klap net so half draai voordat stuurwiel lock (vol draai). Het geklink asof dit by regter voorwiel is en begin toe uitmekaar haal om te kyk. Als het reg gelyk behalwe 2 seels wat biekie "uitgeware" was. Het 2 seels by toyota gaan koop R190 vir altwee, 1 seel wat olie van diff en hub skei en 1 wat op hub sit om grease in te hou. Bearings lyk goed, cv lyk goed, als skoon gemaak en weer grease gegee en weer aan mekaar gesit. Klap geluid nogsteeds daar :think:

ImageImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Klap geluid

Post by Mr_B »

I've also heard a klap geluid when insulting the wife while driving in the bakkie... and it hurts!

Could be a worn CV joint??
Smurf
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: '93 hilux 4x4 d/c (2.2).31"bfg muds,long range fuel tank,tjm front bumper,canvas canopy,duel battery system,tnt branch+ss exhaust.

Post by Smurf »

Ive learned not to insult the wife while driving! :lol: CV looks fine. It also only happens when turning the wheel quickly :think:
ImageImageImageImage
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Is daar nie n ball-joint wat dalk begin grease kort nie :think: :think:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Smurf wrote:Ive learned not to insult the wife while driving! :lol: CV looks fine. It also only happens when turning the wheel quickly :think:
Then it must be the wife's head knocking the grab handle when turning quickly........happens all the time in my van....and is normally followed by the other "klap geluid" mentioned by "B"!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry, :crazy: if it's not the CV or ball joint..... I've got no idea!!!
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Check the ends of the drag link, they sometimes run dry cause binding on the balls. It's also possble that either the j-arm or pitman arms balls are worn out of round, in which case you can have them re-engineered and replace the drag link(quality aftermaket ones are available). A common klap noise on the SFA hilux is from the leaf springing 'rubbing' vertically under strain(turning), most often when the U-bolt nuts are not tight enough... check them with a torque wrench, IIRC 120nm...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Oh... and one last thing... if you've replaced/modified your suspension, or put in extended shackles... check that the j-arm side(wheel hub) of the drag link is not fouling against the top of the U-bolt, this is common on SFA's with lifted suspensions. The draglink can be bent up, on the j-arm side, a bit to correct this... with no negative after effects... just be careful to bend it in the correct axis/plane!

Kulula is much preferred over One-Time! :twisted:
Last edited by Mr_B on Tue May 10, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smurf
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Smurf »

Initially thought it was the leafe spring rubbers, but they all good. Will start again by checking the u bolts. thanx MR B ..
Hopefully not something MAJOR. Will let jou know what i find after the weekend. :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Check the leafspring bushes. Also the Torque rod bushes(between axle and chassis).
Kat
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kraaifontein
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Kat »

Hallo mr B
If the pitman arm balls are out of round, how do they fix this, do they weld it up and re-machine it?
Thanx Eugene
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Kat wrote:Hallo mr B
If the pitman arm balls are out of round, how do they fix this, do they weld it up and re-machine it?
Thanx Eugene
Ja, that's basically what they do. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

No, on mine they drilled out the old ball and shaft, and then engineered and welded in the new ball and taper shaft... it's like brand new again... this is better that welding up and machining... the also used a high grade steel for the ball so it should last another 20 years! I had this done on the pitarm and well as the j-arm, and then installed a new draglink... all in all the whole fix-up cost around R800(incl new draglink)
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

Was die bakkie voor die klapg.. opgetel vir ander werk. My bakkie was vir iets in kan nie onthou nie. Het ook so gemaak. Dit klink dom maar vat wap en spyt die leafsprings soos in goed skoon. Wat vir my vertel was is daar kom maar sand grond en baie klien goed tussen Leafsprings in en wanneer jy draai en die vere beweeg gebeur dit.

Return to “The Workshop”