ABS kicks in every time I brake...

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

ABS kicks in every time I brake...

Post by Samurai »

I own a 2002 2700i D/C Hilux 4x4 IFS, and had the right wheel bearing replaced approx a week ago. Since then, I have noticed that when I brake, the ABS kicks in. It has never done this before. I phoned the company that did the wheel bearing replacement and the mechanic said that it could be due to a bit of grease that is causing the ABS to kick in and that I should give it some time... Well, it's a week later and nothing has changed. Apparently there is some or other thing around the bearing or somewhere that also needs to be replaced when the bearings are done... Could anyone please advise me if this is normal or should I be concerned? The ABS light does not come on when braking, only initially when the ignition it switched on, then it goes off, as normal. I am aware that the front brake pads need to be replaced in approx 4000km as well. Any help / advice would be much appreciated. :thumbup:

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: ABS kicks in every time I brake...

Post by Hoppy »

I've had that problem before, the rear wheel bearing retainer and ABS ring is pressed in too deep, it wll most probably start leaking oil on that backing plate
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Re: ABS kicks in every time I brake...

Post by Samurai »

Hi Hoppy!

Many thanks for the advice. I had the problem fixed, there seemed to be grease on the ABS sensor that was messing it about... Just a proper clean and all was sorted! Thanks once again! :celebrate:

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."

Return to “The Workshop”