New Brake Shoes... and leaking Diff

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

New Brake Shoes... and leaking Diff

Post by Mikie »

My Brake shoes are shot, I cant adjust the cable adjuster thingymabob any more. So I popped over to Toyota and enquired to how much new shoes are, R940 a set. Called Midas and they quoted me R199 a set so I am going for the Midas set.
They guy did say i should remove one of them and bring it with to make sure he give me the correct one, no problem I said.

Now I am always up for a challenge but I hate surprises, so can anyone give me tips on how to get the shoes out and put the new ones in, I am guessing its not rocket science but is there anything I should watch out for etc?
Anyone have a manual on doing this??
Last edited by Mikie on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Re: New Brake Shoes

Post by AM Racing »

Just chech those shoes we have not come across a pirate set yet. I had mine rebonded and the drums skimmed. About R350-R450 depending on who you take it to. Have you checked the shoes? It may just be adjustment. Follow the adjustment portion below if necessay...

How to:

1. Release handbrake adjustment
2. Wheels and drums off
3. If you can take a photo of the brake shoe assembly this will help you get the springs in the right place on assembly
4. Remove the springs with a side cutters or brake spring pliers, carefull not to damage the springs with the side cutters
5. Remove the brake shoe retainer clips
6. Unclip the hand brake cable off the brake shoe
7. Once stripped, make sure the adjusters are free and screw them down
8. Wash the backing plate and springs with water, yes water. The best thing for brake dust!
9. Assemble in reverse of above
10. Fit brake drums on
11. Adjust brakes through the hole in the back of the backing plate until the shoes just touch the drum
12. Give the brake pedal a pump or two and check your adjustment, repeat if necessary
13. Fit the wheels and tighten
14. Adjust handbrake until it takes on 4-6 clicks
15. Check the wheels turn and are not biting tightly
16. Go play......
ImageImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

If you need to take your current set in when you buy the new ones (they sometimes give you discount that way) make sure to take the handbrake lever of the shoes as the new ones won't have that
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes, take the old ones in with you .... there is a 'core deposit' that you will benefit from.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Fantastic advise, thanks Dylan, I wasnt aware there are other adjusters, the only one I know of is on the cable under the bakkie, around about the rear door area.
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

lways deadjust the handbrake first before the footbrake adjustment
ImageImageImage
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

AM Racing wrote:lways deadjust the handbrake first before the footbrake adjustment

I was intending to. :picknose:
Stubs
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

if the brake drums are not too worn can these just be re-skimmed etc....I also need to do my brakes !! front and back...gonna be fun trying to adjust the handbrake !!! its non existent at the moment....on the side, I parked outside steers on a hill in malmesbury, went in to order, watched a audi park in front of me, all cool, 2 mins later theres my truck sitting in the arse of the Audi......R22,000 worth of damage to the audi later, me just one foglight from midas, I was just glad it was parked there otherwise my hilux would have been straight across the main road and into the engine garage opposite....
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Stubs wrote:if the brake drums are not too worn can these just be re-skimmed etc....I also need to do my brakes !! front and back...gonna be fun trying to adjust the handbrake !!! its non existent at the moment....on the side, I parked outside steers on a hill in malmesbury, went in to order, watched a audi park in front of me, all cool, 2 mins later theres my truck sitting in the arse of the Audi......R22,000 worth of damage to the audi later, me just one foglight from midas, I was just glad it was parked there otherwise my hilux would have been straight across the main road and into the engine garage opposite....

I always leave mine in gear just to be sure

I havent even considered skimming my drums, just the fact that I have to end up sitting with my truck for a day irritates me, I prefer t do it all myself, but I cant skim
Stubs
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

yeah i do always leave in gear NOW !!! I have a local engineering guy here in caledon who says he can skim the brake drums for me, its a quick job I believe....its all the dismantling and reassembling I am not looking forward to....but its a nitemare off road not to have a handbrake, that I know.....
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Stubs wrote:if the brake drums are not too worn can these just be re-skimmed etc....I also need to do my brakes !! front and back...gonna be fun trying to adjust the handbrake !!! its non existent at the moment....on the side, I parked outside steers on a hill in malmesbury, went in to order, watched a audi park in front of me, all cool, 2 mins later theres my truck sitting in the arse of the Audi......R22,000 worth of damage to the audi later, me just one foglight from midas, I was just glad it was parked there otherwise my hilux would have been straight across the main road and into the engine garage opposite....

So Stuart, did you invite the Audio owner to become a member of the forum... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Royco
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

I think Stubs made a good impression on his car though....
"It'll buff right out..." :mocking:
Image Image Image Image
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Hilton
Vehicle: 92 Hilux D/C 2.2 4x4

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

I would suggest taking the vehicle to a brake place, it won't cost much to have them fitted. And ask them if you can bring the vehicle back after a week or two so they can re adjust your handbrake. I hate skimming anything it is just never the same after. New drums are not that expensive. I now have a warped drum from overheating and a poor skim. Either that or a bent axle. There is also an adjustment inside the drum that you adjust and then refit the drum until it just catches the drum but still spins freely. This also has a major impact on your handbrake.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

I had a look at it yesterday after work, I think I am going to take it in, a hell of a job and if you have no clue what you are doing you are bound to mess something up.
Calling around today to find someone in the 4ways area that does relining and skimming
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

If it's just the handbrake, maybe all that's required is an adjustment if there's still enough lining left on the shoes. I definitely wouldn't skim the drums if it's not necessary (drums warped), and even then replacement drums don't cost much more and a far better option that skimming.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

When I got the drum off yesterday I saw the shoes, worn unevenly and the lowest section is probably under 1mm thick.
Handbrake adjuster wont go further, I checked that.
So I definitely need them either relined or new shoes, as far as the drum skimming goes I will ask them to check and see whether its needed, there doesnt seem to be much of a ridge on the drum that I got off so not sure.

Anyone know of a place in the Fourways area that can help me?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If there's no ridge or they're not warped then don't skim, but 1mm is time to change the shoes.

Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

If you do a search on brakes you will find alot of info regarding places to get them done etc but ill give you a bit again here......

Gemini Parts (0113341417) in town sell new drums @ R300 a piece and new shoes @ R350 a set. Not a bad price for piece of mind. (prices may be higher now, this was a while ago)

One thing to remember with skimming is that it decreases the thickness of the disc or drum, which in turn creates a weaker unit.
Another thing to remember with drums is that if you skim them then you will need the shoes to be relined instead of replaced as standard shoes will now already be slightly to thin, meaning you will have to adjust your handbrake more to get the same effect. And a millimeter makes a difference in rear braking adjustment.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

So I went off to ASAP motors at Pineslopes shopping centre in Lonehill yesterday and asked for a price on rebonding and if required, skimming of drums.
I think I confused the poor guy, he must have thought I wanted the gold plated shoe lining
R1549 - Ka-Ching!!!!!! :crazy2:
I think he must have thought I look stupid.

Going on Saturday to CBF, R790 in Strydom park.
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

Yuslikeit! Thats expensive!
ImageImageImage
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

AM Racing wrote:Yuslikeit! Thats expensive!

the first second or both??
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Gemini quoted me R399.00 for rear shoes on the Tuna. Did not get a price on drums.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

OOOOMS wrote:Gemini quoted me R399.00 for rear shoes on the Tuna. Did not get a price on drums.

Nope, just new shoes fitted and dums skimmed. This is labour included so doesnt sound that bad to me, I decided I better not attempt it myself for fear of messing it up
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

SO I went off to CBF fitment in Randburg and had my brake shoes done on Saturday morning, the drums did need skimming, one was very oval, took quite a bit of skimming time to get that right.
While the guy was busy adjusting the handbrake adjuster, he noticed that my gearbox was missing all the mounting bolts at the rear mounting, he even showed me how he could lift the gear box which was just resting on the mounting, unbelievable, who messes with those things and doesnt put the bolts back?? Its more than likely been that way since I got the bakkie which is nor a year and half ago, dont think its damaged anything, they luckily had bolts available and kindly screwed my gear box down.

While the bakkie was up in the air I decided to inspect a little underneath, I noticed the Diff has signs of oil leakage, not too serious but a leak nonetheless.
Is there a seal at the back there? I am assuming its nto a serious fix, new seal and new diff oil. Anyone else have experience with leaking diffs?

Overall, I am very happy with the service from CBF, brilliant service and my brakes work so nicely now again too

Return to “The Workshop”