Quick clutch question

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 88 Hilux DC/4x4, 77 Jeep CJ7 V8, 2010 Jeep Rubicon Unl, 2011 Rubicon 2dr

Quick clutch question

Post by BlindBeggar »

The clutch master cylinder on my '88 SFA is leaking. Are the clutch kits (or new master cylinders) still available? I would like to do the slave cylinder as well, are they available?
BlumTRD
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: Quick clutch question

Post by BlumTRD »

YIP midas does sell master en slave . But have a look at slave first as the unit are more prone to leakage and worn seals . They sell repair kits too :thumbup:
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 88 Hilux DC/4x4, 77 Jeep CJ7 V8, 2010 Jeep Rubicon Unl, 2011 Rubicon 2dr

Post by BlindBeggar »

Thanx, that is the answer i was hoping for!!. I think the slave is leaking (it is wet).....but the master cylinder is also leaking...it is leaking into the footwell inside the cab.
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

The pirate ones start leaking again after 6 months. Do yourself a favour and go and buy the OEM one its not that much more expensive.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Gunta wrote:The pirate ones start leaking again after 6 months. Do yourself a favour and go and buy the OEM one its not that much more expensive.
yep that also the experience that I have had
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Van
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: centurion
Vehicle: 91 SFA Hilux.manual Lexus v8. Ironman Suspension. 30 inch BF Goodrich AT's

Post by Van »

Hello all i trust you are well.
I need to replace my clutch master cilinder.
Toyota quoted me R1857 for an original
Gemini quoted R307.00????

I know original is better but is it R1550 better?
Cheers H
Addicted to Recoil.
Grip it and Rip it, should apply to all things in life!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

AFAIK there are seal kits available. Did a seal kit replacement on the 2x4 about a year ago .... all still OK. If memory serves correctly it was about R200 for the kit.

;-)

When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Van
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 91 SFA Hilux.manual Lexus v8. Ironman Suspension. 30 inch BF Goodrich AT's

Post by Van »

Thanks Mud Dog. The master cylinder is still the original and looks pretty beat up.....
For piece of mind i might go original unless other members have success stories with generic cylinders. :think:

Cheers H
Addicted to Recoil.
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

I had bad luck with the cheapies and eventually bought the OE.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Van wrote:Thanks Mud Dog. The master cylinder is still the original and looks pretty beat up.....
For piece of mind i might go original unless other members have success stories with generic cylinders. :think:

Cheers H
Beat up you say? Usually just a little pitted from the atmospheric moisture absorbed by the brake fluid. Most often nothing that a little hone won't cure.
Then without trying to sway your decision, to be truthful, I've heard more positive feedback from the generics than negative. Not that it may mean much if the comments were made in the "six month" period before they started leaking.

Good luck all the same! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Van
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Van »

Thanks for the feedback Mud Dog.
By Beat up I mean leaking like a "sif" :problem:

a seal kit retails for R400 odd from the stealers.

I think this will be my first option if not successful, I will try a generic.....

Thanks once again
Cheers H
Addicted to Recoil.

Return to “The Workshop”