Testing Diff Lock

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kidds Beach
Vehicle: 97 Hilux D/C 2.4l 4x4

Testing Diff Lock

Post by Tristan »

:? :? I am a bit suspect as to whether my diff lock is working or not.
Anyone have a good way of testing it? :idea: :idea: :idea:
Besides!! trying my utmost to get stuck (I dont have friends in the area with a vehicle that can pull me out) :(
ImageImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Testing Diff Lock

Post by CasKru »

Which locker do you have fitted? (and your bakkie?) :)
To God be the glory
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

Sheesh!!!! I already replied on this post but it seems to have just dissapeared :shock: :shock:

So if it is found some were floating around on the forum, Sorry!! :oops:

I think my diff lock is a gear max, as far as I know it came standard on the vehicle (2.4l 97 Hilux Raider 4x4 D/c)
ImageImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Do you want to test it in the field under load or do you just want to see if it engages etc?
To God be the glory
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

CasKru wrote:Do you want to test it in the field under load or do you just want to see if it engages etc?
:shock: I guess all of the above

Trying to figure out how effective it is and if its not working/working propally if its worth while getting it fixed or maybe replaced with something better.

Just finding out if it is actually engaging would be good for a start.
ImageImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

To test if it engages is quite easy. Jack the bakkie up and support it on decent stands so that all 4 wheels is in the air. Make sure your free wheels hubs are locked.

Start the bakkie and let it idle. Put the transfer lever in 4H and in 5th gear. The wheels should now rotate at more or less the same speed (just remember to release the handbrake). Take a piece of would or something and brake one of the wheels at the back and the other one should pick up speed. When happy with the results engage the difflock and do the same test again. This time round you the rear wheels will turn at the same speed even if you try and brake the one.

This is a very simple test (or at least that is how I tested mine with no load).
To God be the glory
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Maybe the easiest way to test whether the diff lock engages is to jack up the rear of the vehicle and get both rear wheels off the ground. Preferably place jack stands under the rear axle on both sides, and chock the front wheels.

If you have the Gearmax locker, it engages using the vacuum from the running engine, so you need to start the vehicle and let it idle. With the handbrake off, you should be able to rotate one rear wheel by hand and the other wheel should turn in the opposite direction.

With the vehicle idling in neutral, engage the diff lock switch. I think it has an LED that indicates if it is locked.
Now go rotate one of the rear wheels by hand. The other wheel should turn in the same direction.

My2cw
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

What I tried to say but just more clearer :)
To God be the glory
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

:cry: :cry: :cry: I gave it a try and it appears s if it's not working :( :(
With diff lock off I rotated one wheel and the other didn't move much at all, sometimes just a little in the opposite direction.
With diff lock on I rotated one wheel and the other just did nothing :x
ImageImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Did you have the engine running and the vehicle moving forward somewhat after engaging the difflock before you tested it? Remember the difflock is engaged via engine vacuum and some movement of the wheels may be required for the mechanism to lock into place.
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

BenHurBul wrote:Did you have the engine running and the vehicle moving forward somewhat after engaging the difflock before you tested it? Remember the difflock is engaged via engine vacuum and some movement of the wheels may be required for the mechanism to lock into place.
Eish!! :? I reversed about 30m in my yard, then switched off and spent maybe 10 to 20min jacking up the vehicle (still a bit afraid of the high lift jack :shock: )
With axle mounts in place I then switched the van back on and started the process mentioned above.

Is there something else I should try :?:
ImageImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Nahh if thats the case i amsure its not working. Start by testing the vacuum line. See this thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2049
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

Tristan, try this.

Use a normal hydraulic, jack and place it under the rear axle nearest to one of the rear wheels. Jack just this one wheel up so that it is clear off the ground.

Leaving the Hilux in 2H, engage the difflock switch. When the diff lock engages, the grean light should light up, and the Hilux should drive off the jack. If the diff lock is not working, the lifted wheel will just spin.
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Tristan, If you are going to use the method wade suggested, I would recommend using a bottle jack or any other type that can topple over fairly easy as the hydraulic trolley jacks might damage something.
To God be the glory
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

:D :D :D Well Im pleased to say my diff lock is now working.

I decided instead of fiddling with something I know nothing about to rather take it to Gear Max and see what they can tell me.
It turns out that the solanoid was kla!! R250 for a new one and all works fine :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just for interest sakes and maybe to help anyone else who has the same problem I did, Im going to explain how they tested to see if the diff lock was working and how to tell if the solanoid is working.

For the solanoid just turn the ignition on (dont run the engine)and get someone to switch the diff lock on and then off again. If the solanoid is working you should hear a click each time it goes on and off. If you hear nothing then its broken and needs to be replaced.

Their method to test if the diff lock is engaging is very simple.
Simply jack up one of the rear wheels and make sure the front wheels are secure because the vehicle must be in neutral.
Start the engine and with the diff lock disengaged turn the raised wheel by hand it should turn by its self easily.
Still with the engine running engage the diff lock and then try to turn the raised wheel again, if all is working then it shouldn't be able to turn because it is locked with the wheel that is still on the ground.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this :wink:
ImageImageImage
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Shot! Glad it's working again!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

shady
Town: Kempton park
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0KZTE DC 4X4

Post by shady »

What I did to test mine was to find a patch of softish sand on a gravel road, park it with the wheels turned to almost full lock, drive forward while turning and feel what it feels like.
Then repeat the process but engage the diff lock first. If it works , than you should feel a sustantial difference in that it "bites" a whole lot more and you can even hear it.

Remember though that this is technically not be the best way of doing this, (but certainatly the easiest) because it puts strain on the outer side shaft so dont do this too regularly (or with any more power than is needed to pull away). Remember to disengage the diff esp once back on harder gravel!

Return to “The Workshop”