4Y Head Gasket

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

4Y Head Gasket

Post by Scooter »

Morning Ladies and Gents

It is that time in my 4Ys life when things start happening for the worst and I am now sitting with a mayonaise factory for an engine :thumbdown:

I would like to know from those that have had the headgasket blow before if there is anything special as far as parts go that I should be replacing besides these:

Headgasket kit
Hydraulic Lifters
Water Pump
Thermostat

Perhaps the timing chain whilst Im stripping?

Anything I have missed?

I would like not to have to skim the head but maybe after the 340 000 kms it has done it might be a good idea. Anyone know of a decent engineering firm on the west rand or out woodmead/midrand way?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: 4Y Head Gasket

Post by Hoppy »

It gave such good service, do it properly, strip it down and rebuild it, the parts are not expensive.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Hoppy, are you suggesting I strip it all down and rebuild the entire motor?

I wish I had the finances to do that right now but alas life is not so kind and I will have to make do with only doing the head for now.

What's the average pricing for a skim and pressure test these days?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Scott, if resources are a bit tight at the moment, then just do the head gasket. Put a steel straight-edge on the head and see if it's got any warps (probably not - they're tough heads). If there are any corrosion depressions they can be built up and skim the head only lightly (a clean-up) - that way you don't need any oversized gaskets to compensate.

If the hydraulic lifters are noisy you have to do them at the same time, otherwise leave them be. The timing chain can be left for a later stage - it's not an OHC motor. Water pumps don't just sommer give hassles - only replace if there is a problem and this too can be done as and when required independently of the head job. Same applies to the thermostat. I'm a firm believer in not scratching where it doesn't itch.

That all said, what worries me is that you're getting water into the oil. This can be indicative of a gasket problem, but then in most cases you will get compressing into the water jacket as well. So there is a possibility of a cracked head, although there is also a strong possibility that it's just corrosion between a water and oil port. Check it out carefully to find the cause of the problem. A pressure test might be necessary if it's not an obvious fault.

;-)

When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Hey Guys,

Headgasket has been replaced :thumbup: found a fair amount of water in the oil and had a leak on cylinder four and between 3 & 4 as usual.

I replaced the gasket using a Victor Reinz, I am sure it will do the job. I also replaced the lifters and the thermostat (OE) and all the relevant gaskets on the head as well as the 10mm water pipes that get nice and brittle with time and heat.

A few price comparisons for those up in JHB.

The List from Toyota Honeydew

1) Gasket Kit R1034.00 (PN 0411273043)
2) Hydraulic Lifters R393.22 each X 8 = R3145.76 (PN 1375071020)
3) Timing Chain R261.20 (PN 1350673010VP)
4) Timing Tensioner R363.96 (PN 1354025010)
5) Timing Damper / Guide R202.52 (PN 1356125010)
6) Water Pump R1521.34 (PN 1610079037)
7) Thermostat R232.91 (PN 9091603046)

List From Gemini Parts JHB

1) Gasket Kit, Victor Reinz R454.86 (PN FSG73011)
2) Hydraulic Lifters R446.88 (PN CF71010)
3) Timing Chain R125.40 (PN TC25010)
4) Timing Tensioner R125.40 (PN TS25010 )
5) Timing Damper / Guide R55.86 (PN TCG25010)
6) Thermostat R285 (PN T9091603090)
7) Seal for Thermostat R17.10 (PN T1632563011)
8) Vacuum Hose R74.10 (PN T9099992004)

Gemini supply OE thermostat and vacuum hose and all other parts are ex Japan except for the lifters which are from the USA and seems to be good quality.
Time will tell of course. I bought the timing chain and tensioner and will replace at a later stage but for now all is good.

Drove to work this morning with no issues so hopefully all is well.
Next job is to remove the gearbox as the rear main seal is pissing oil badly.
So maybe a clutch replacement too :crazy:

Return to “The Workshop”