Various Special Tools required to work on a SFA Hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Various Special Tools required to work on a SFA Hilux

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes special tools make the job so very much easier, but normally just a hammer and chiesel work for most of us, however I will be explaining as I go along, I will post photo's of the various special tools that are required when you work or maintain your Hilux, what altinative tools can also be used

I will not be discussing the price that these tools cost, some of you may have special prices or contacts where you can buy them cheaper. And I do not wish to boast what we paid for them :wink:

Here we have a basic "cheese cake" puller set, we use this type of puller set to remove bearings and it can also be used with the help of a hydraulic press for various applications.

Sometimes water contaminates (sp) the front wheel bearings on your Hilux, thus rust and corrosion prevent the bearing from been removed, this is when a half moon puller set comes in handy, no damage will be done to the other parts of the axle end or bearing hub

We had to remove the right front bearings on my Hilux, due to water contamination.

A selection of newton metre torque wrenches come in handy, depending on the job that you are busy with, various torques are required, thus here we have a torque wrench that measures from 10nm to 50nm, some people do not use these torque wrenches, they just use the term (FT)

You must remember that you must Never drop a torque wrench, if you do, you will have to have it re-calibrated.

Bedtime now will continue tomorrow :)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Re: Various Special Tools required to work on a SFA Hilux

Poured another glass of coke, found this photo.

This socket is used to loosen or tighten the front wheel bearing nuts, this socket was purchased from the Toyota Dealer, but only afterwards we found that a geyser element socket is the same size and will also work, all that you have to do with the geyser socket is weld a 1/2 " old socket of any size to the rear of the geyser socket, so that you can use your torque wrench when you tighten the nuts, if I remember correctly the size is a 55mm, will check to confirm

This is a bigger torque wrench, which is been used to tighten the wheel bearing pre-load nuts

Getting my hands dirty, there is only one way to re-grease wheel bearings

1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

:oops: This is how it is done

Do not wipe your hands on your pants, your wife will LOVE you if you do when you go inside for a cup of tea or coffee :twisted:

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

A two post vehicle lift, single phase is a must if you intend working on your vehicle's at home in your garage, the two post is better than a four post that you drive the vehicle onto, this two post lift is manufcatured by Clarke, it was imported from England, via an agent here in South Africa, a very usefull piece of equipment "special tool" for many applications

When we were busy fitting the front and the rear ARB Lockers to my Hilux, we also completely overhauled the axles, my Hilux was on this lift for two weeks, yes we did not work on the Hilux everyday, we also had other things to do.

simoan
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Very interesting and I hope you will post more.
Question: I your experience what are the most common problems that are likely to occur with a pre-99 Hilux?
If I was to do a Cape to Moscow trip what preventative maintenence is advisable?

Lastly: when should one replace a timing chain, or do they last forever (almost)?
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Hello Harold

First of all I would recommend that you fit a new clutch kit and have the propshafts reconditioned.

Have all the fluids replaced.
Fit new V- belts
Fit new jockey pulley bearing
Fit all new wheel bearings
Have the radiator cleaned and use anti-freeze
Fit a new fuel pump
Fit a new battery
Have the altinator and starter motor serviced
Fit a new clutch master and slave cylinders
Fit a new brake cylinder
Carry a spare set of keys
Carry an extra spare rim on a tyre.
But if these items are in an excellent condition, just make sure that the fluids are correct, fill the fuel tank up and enjoy your journey

Whatever parts you have replaced, keep and store the old parts in a box and they will be available to help somebody else in need along the way or to swop for an item that you need. :)

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

You can replace the timing chain when you start it up in the morning and you hear a rattling noise, which goes away once you have slightly reved the engine, otherwise you can change it every 200 000km, but this will also change depending on what terrain and use you are using your vehicle.

simoan

Return to “The Workshop”