Clutch pedal bracket??

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
mldave
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Angels Camp
Vehicle: 1986 Toyoyta Hilux 4x4

Clutch pedal bracket??

Post by mldave »

Hi,on my 1986 Toyota truck 4x4 2.4 EFI 5 speed the clutch pedal can be moved side to side and also up to the right by hand with a noisy squeaking sound.Shifting can be very difficult,smooth as butter,notchy or not at all.Have a new master clutch cylinder and slave cylinder,machine bled of air.rods adjusted on the cylinders and new proper weight transmission oil.Could this be the clutch pedal bracket assembly which are known to crack/break on these older trucks?Don't think the clutch pedal should have any side to side play,should it...thanks,Dave.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Clutch pedal bracket??

Post by Mud Dog »

Your gear shifting problem is varied and intermittent, so definitely not in the box. You've done almost everything else, so that can be ruled out as well. The broken bracket you speak of is something new to me .... never come across it before, but the side to side movement certainly indicates a problem with the pedal pivot. It could be loose / broken or even badly worn. This could possibly result in you not getting enough clutch (and no, that's not what I mean "Mr B"! :twisted: ) which would explain the intermittent difficulty in shifting. The pedal assembly is what I'd check out first in your case. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mldave
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mldave »

Mud Dog,this a known problem on the mid 1980's-mid 1990's trucks.4 & 6 cylinders.Here is just one lonl of many on a Toyota forum discussing this....4 pages..Thanks for your reply.http://www.yotatech.com/f116/beware-clu ... ndex3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BlumTRD
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by BlumTRD »

Worn bushes on pedal .

You can replace them , white poly

Sent from my BlackBerry
mldave
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mldave »

Had the clutch pedal bracket checked,all good.The fellow pulled the rubber boot by the slave cylinder and said the clutch fork is floating by itself,not attached I guess?This would cause non-shifting/hard to shift?What are the causes of this loose(floating) clutch fork? thanks.

Return to “The Workshop”