Maximum Roof Weight

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Maximum Roof Weight

Post by WayneMan »

What is the maximum weight that can be loaded onto your roof ?
I drive a KZ-TE and want to install a RTT using load bars.
My concerns are the maximum weight that the roof can handle without causing any structural damage.
I cannot find any information in the owners manual about maximum loads weights, but going on other manufactures, Im sure it pretty similar, and they recommend no more than 75kgs to 100 kgs.
Why then does it appear ok to install RTTs and no one complains about structural damage ?
Has anyone ever expeirenced any damage to their vehicle from a RTT or roof rack ?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Maximum Roof Weight

Post by CasKru »

70kg for a load on the roof while the vehicle is in motion. This is when you will ecperience the most stresses on the roof as the stresses are in all directions.

When you are stationary and in the rooftop tent, all the stresses are downwards onto the pillars so it can handle much more weight
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

WayneMan wrote:What is the maximum weight that can be loaded onto your roof ?
I drive a KZ-TE and want to install a RTT using load bars.
My concerns are the maximum weight that the roof can handle without causing any structural damage.
I cannot find any information in the owners manual about maximum loads weights, but going on other manufactures, Im sure it pretty similar, and they recommend no more than 75kgs to 100 kgs.
Why then does it appear ok to install RTTs and no one complains about structural damage ?
Has anyone ever expeirenced any damage to their vehicle from a RTT or roof rack ?
This is not an uncommon practice ..... as Cassie says, when stationary it's OK to kip up there. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

If the kzte has gutter rails on the roof, then use the beading around the doors, which has a metal section between the rubber, under the feet of the roof racks, that fit onto the gutter rails. Most people use two roof racks, I used four on my 1994 2.4 Lux D/C. I have heard of the roof racks cutting through the roof gutter rails on corrugated roads & the RTT ending up on the roof of the vehicle & the roof racks feet preventing the doors from opening until the RTT is moved up & out the way again. Good Luck
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Post by WayneMan »

I have managed to aquire what i think it African Outback load bars and fittings.
There are 2x long aluminium rails with a rubber lining underneath. These bolt onto the roof from front to end and fit 'over' the channeling. In my mind this 'spreads' the weight over a larger surface area.
The other type I have seen is a small 3 or 4 inch block which also bolts into the channel. The rack and fittings then bolt onto these blocks. There are 4 of these 'blocks' one at each corner of the roof. Again, in my mind these put weight or stress on a MUCH smaller surface ara of the roof.

Whic is the better one to go for ? Taking into account that the 'rail' system does not fit directly into the channel but spreads the load more evenly over the channel.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2007 4l V6 Hilux Raider D/C A/T

Post by Giovann »

Old post but I've of got a similar question...

I've got hi-lift, spade, axe, spare tire, 2x Jerry cans, max Trax and camping chairs on my dessert racks mounted to the cabin roof... I rekon it's close to 100kg is that over doing it?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I assume that's with the jerry cans filled. Not overdoing it for normal driving and general over-landing but when it gets to the rougher stuff and the vehicle is jolted from side to side, that's where I think you will be getting 'close to the wind'. I wouldn't load any more up there if I could help it.. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2007 4l V6 Hilux Raider D/C A/T

Post by Giovann »

Mud Dog wrote:I assume that's with the jerry cans filled. Not overdoing it for normal driving and general over-landing but when it gets to the rougher stuff and the vehicle is jolted from side to side, that's where I think you will be getting 'close to the wind'. I wouldn't load any more up there if I could help it.. :winkx:
Is that a no for something like potential sand dunes on the coats of Mozambique
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

IMO sand or dune driving is softer and less jolting than hard terrain, so the roof stress would concern me less than the COG issue. The lower side wheels on a sandy side slope are more likely to sink in to the sand (it will be bearing more weight) and exaggerate the side angle and possibly result in a side roll. You would have to try maintain straight lines perpendicularly relative to the slope.

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I would not advise riding around with full jerry cans on the roof.
As soon as you have space in your tank, transfer the fuel to the tank.
Solve the problem by fitting long range tanks.
This is a lot safer and easier to manage.
Your centre of gravity will be much lower and less chance of roll-over problems.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I agree with Edge.Not only does the full gerry cans create a higher centre of gravity but also a causes a mess every time they are either emptied or refilled.The extra tank is the way to go.

Return to “The Workshop”