KZte battles to start after a few days of being parked

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Kzte

KZte battles to start after a few days of being parked

Post by Drifter X »

Hi Guys, I am an avid reader of this forum and I think that it is absolutely awesome, I decided to request some assistance today. I have 2003 Hilux Kzte that has a SAC intercooler and chip. The vehicle has been performing fine up until a few weeks ago when I noticed that if it stood for a few days than it battled to start. It cranks fine which eliminates the battery or starter and after about four attempts the engine fires up with a puff of black smoke. If I start it daily then there isnt an issue with it starting up, once it has been started in the morning, it starts perfectly fine the rest of the day. The vehicle generally stands for about a week without being started and I have on occassions had it stand for up to 3 weeks without starting it and if I then started up after 3 weeks it started perfectly on the first attempt, something is definitely on its way out. I have since tested and replaced the glow plugs, I have also tested the relay that supplies the glow plugs, all of these test fine. I suspect that it could be related to insufficient fuel in the ignition chamber but I am not sure what else to test or replace to resolve the issue. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Last edited by Drifter X on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJBotes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Re: KZte battles to start after a few days of being parked

Post by JJBotes »

Hi Ranesh
and
Welcome :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

I had similar symptoms on my KZ some time ago, but mine would struggle to start after standing of only 24hrs. At the end I had to recondition the diesel pump. If the seals in the diesel pump start to get old they don't hold the pressure any more and you have crank the engine more than usual to get diesel to the cylinders.

Might be that yours are on their way out to.
:thumbup:
Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Drifter X »

Thanks very much for the quick reply JJ, whats the cost of recoditioning the diesel pump?
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Check the fuel lines with a fine tooth comb - a small crack will cause the fuel to drain back to the tank and cause hard starting.

Also check the seals on the diesel filter - the filter may even be blocked?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Does the radiator water dissappear?
JJBotes
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by JJBotes »

Around R10 000 to R14 000, but like Thabo said, check the fuel lines first .
:thumbup:
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

I had similar problem on my KZ. Found a leak on the pipe between diesel filter and pump. Problem solved! Check your fuel lines before opting for the expensive choice.
Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Drifter X »

Thanks Guys, I have checked fuel lines and the filter, these seem in order. I havent checked the radiator will give that a check.
swaziboy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Maun
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux 3.0 KZTE

Post by swaziboy »

Thought it better to revive an old thread as am having a similar issue here and would appreciate some knowledgeable advise. Lux just back from service at a local shop here in Maun where they replaced alternator and cleaned up the turbo amongst other things. The day I was to collect it, mekanik advised that they couldn't get it started and asked if there was a trick to the immobiliser? something I hadnt used in many years. It just cranked and cranked with no fuel going to the engine. I have never had a starting issue with this bakkie. Two days later they reported that the engine earth was a problem and reported it to be fine. I collected the car yesterday and it is not starting how it used to. Sometimes on the second turn, sometimes crank for 30 seconds. It also seems to want to die at low rpm (below the turbo) and is sluggish. I have sent the car back with instructions to check for leaks in the pump. Anything else that would cause this?

Another question - I seem to recall that when you first turn the ignition there is the sound of the diesel pump running for a second or two and then it goes quiet. There is no longer a sound like this and all that one hears is the click of the coils. However, i have been driving my wifes pajero for the last month and could be getting confused here... could another KZTE owner confirm that the pump runs before start or not?? Thank you all!
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

swaziboy wrote:Thought it better to revive an old thread as am having a similar issue here and would appreciate some knowledgeable advise. Lux just back from service at a local shop here in Maun where they replaced alternator and cleaned up the turbo amongst other things. The day I was to collect it, mekanik advised that they couldn't get it started and asked if there was a trick to the immobiliser? something I hadnt used in many years. It just cranked and cranked with no fuel going to the engine. I have never had a starting issue with this bakkie. Two days later they reported that the engine earth was a problem and reported it to be fine. I collected the car yesterday and it is not starting how it used to. Sometimes on the second turn, sometimes crank for 30 seconds. It also seems to want to die at low rpm (below the turbo) and is sluggish. I have sent the car back with instructions to check for leaks in the pump. Anything else that would cause this?

Another question - I seem to recall that when you first turn the ignition there is the sound of the diesel pump running for a second or two and then it goes quiet. There is no longer a sound like this and all that one hears is the click of the coils. However, i have been driving my wifes pajero for the last month and could be getting confused here... could another KZTE owner confirm that the pump runs before start or not?? Thank you all!
Pump is gear driven and does not run before you start the engine. What you hear is the throttle body "initializing". The KZ-TE is fly-by-wire, i.e. no throttle cable.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Remove the diesel filter. Check that the seal is not damaged, nor 2 seal on top of each other or that there is indeed a seal.

Fiter might also just be loose.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
swaziboy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Maun
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux 3.0 KZTE

Post by swaziboy »

Thank you gents... will try this afternoon. So confirm there should just be a click when turning ign on, not a buzz? Where do you earth your ECU to the engine? It looks like they have put the earth in a different place as i do not recall a cable mounted where this one is now...
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

The cheapest way I found is put a electric in line fuel pump and connected to ignition this way it will deliver fuel to pump.My stepfathers ML270 had very similar issues and this solved it.

Return to “The Workshop”