Bumper mod

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Bumper mod

Post by Mud Dog »

I just bought the Warn stainless spots that BenRich had to offer (same as the standard ones on the LTD), and the idea is to change this .....
IMG_6310.JPG
(86.94 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
..... to look like this.
IMG_6309.JPG
(77.63 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

I measured and they should fit in. At the same time I want to tilt the 'nudge bar' section of the bumper forward a bit. It's too straight up and I think it will look better. More importantly the tilt will give more space between the back of the spots and the grille, not only for better airflow after fitting the extra spots, but also for access to the winch change-lever. Basically going from this .....
IMG_9069.JPG
..... to something like this.
IMG_9070.JPG
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Bumper mod

Post by The Legend »

Andy,
Dit sal baie mooi lyk :thumbup: ,maar ek sal net n bietjie bang wees dat daar nie genoeg lugvloei na die verkoeler toe gaan wees nie.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

While you're at it Andy, cut the legs of top loop a little shorter to lower the top bar. That will look lots more streamlined as well. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The 4 spotties will work fine there,and you shouldnt have problems with air-flow too much.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Cool, looks hot! ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Going to look good,keep us updated.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
ROOFER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Great new look you going for Andy :thumbup:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Andy, I'm curious to see your idea for welding the nudge bar back, or are you just going to cut a slit onto the uprights to tilt it?

The one on my LTD's bumper has cracked around the the welding...was contemplating some form of bracket iside the bumper with a collar on the outside that bolts the nudge bar to the inside bracket.

Something you might wanna consider with 4 spotties on there...but I like your idea, will look awesome
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Just another thought....maybe put the clear lensed ones in the middle and the normal ones on the sides, should give better light for normal driving conditions ...and the clear ones maybe on their own seperate switch :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

No cracks in mine, Stef, but I will have a closer look at everything once I take it off and strip it. Yes, the plan was to just cut a wedge out at the base and re-weld it back at an angle that more or less corresponds to the angle of the bumper next to the winch box. (I think it will look stupid if I tilt it too far like a stinger, unless one modifies the rake of the bumper as well.
Stef wrote:Just another thought....maybe put the clear lensed ones in the middle and the normal ones on the sides, should give better light for normal driving conditions ...and the clear ones maybe on their own seperate switch
Mine are clear as well, so all four will be the same. The only thing that I'm apprehensive about, is getting access to the winch control lever ..... Might have to move the spots forward a little more on their brackets, which should give me a further 20mm besides what I should be able to get with the tilt. I'm just not sure that it will be enough.

I'm in no hurry at this point .... don't have a lot of time available at the moment anyway .... so I still have a lot of grace to consider other options. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

I suspect the vibration cracked the bumper's top plate all along the welds, hence the idea to reinforce the bumper on the inside.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Another option might be to cut away the cross-bar on the nudge and just mount the spot brackets straight to the bumper .... could get them even further forward that way. :think:

MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Mud Dog wrote:Another option might be to cut away the cross-bar on the nudge and just mount the spot brackets straight to the bumper .... could get them even further forward that way. :think:
Now that sounds like a good plan...
So show us what it would look like..... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

MOFASA wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:Another option might be to cut away the cross-bar on the nudge and just mount the spot brackets straight to the bumper .... could get them even further forward that way. :think:
Now that sounds like a good plan...
So show us what it would look like..... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sumpting like dis ....
BB.JPG
(26.68 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

:twisted: :twisted:

Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Is die 4x spotlights nou al op???
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Nee, nog nie Trevor. Die ander twee spots sit nog met my seun in JHB en hy sal hulle eers saam met hom afbring einde Dec waneer hy besoek kom aflê. Dis nie die ergste nie .... ek sal êrens tyd moet kry om die werk te doen en my werk skedule is klaar tot einde Januarie 2014 vol geboek! :crazy:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Some thing just get put on the back burner and forgotten. This project was one of those. :D:

Anyway, we eventually did it. Tilted the nudge bar forward and mounted the extra spots. No issues with radiator obstruction - needle still stays just below half where it's always been, even under full load.

IMG_6131.JPG
IMG_6132.JPG

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Mud Dog wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:01 pm Anyway, we eventually did it. Tilted the nudge bar forward and mounted the extra spots. No issues with radiator obstruction - needle still stays just below half where it's always been, even under full load.
Andy,

something to keep in mind is that the automotive industry in general stabilise the heat gauges with a "deadzone" which is usually from 74 °Cto 105 °C, which means that even if the needle still is below half on the gauge the vehicle might actually be working much closer to the 105 range and when it usually goes to 3/4 it is all ready well on its way to 110 °C and by the time it hits the red or you notice it damage could possibly be all ready done to the engine.

Personally, I try to keep all accesories well away from the grille that can cause a air flow disturbance and even a air pocket which could lead to negative cooling issues. The SFA does have a marginal radiator in keeping cool under very high temps. With a winch, replacement bumper with reduced air flow and 4 spots im thinking you might be tempting fate here, but it is only my own opinion.

I did the test once with my 4Y and mounted the spots in front of the radiator flow and could hear the fan and viscous working much more.
Moved them back next to the headlights and redid the test and the fan barely worked even when pushing hard.
Johan Marais
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The ECU reads temp directly from the gauge and we did a couple of dynos, both before and after fitting the extra lights and the temp remained stable on both scenarios between 87 and 89°

We also set an overheating protection target in the ECU so if it does go up too high the ECU will cut the motor.

Return to “The Workshop”