2001 2.7 IFS will not start

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
davauc
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Toyota SFA 4Y Jeep & 2.7 IFS DC Raider

2001 2.7 IFS will not start

Post by davauc »

Hello gents,
I need a bit of help and guidance. I have purchase a 2001 2.7 IFS.
For a bit of history.....
It did not want to pull properly and was sluggish. After Allen services it he recommended I take to be tuned at Dynatech as it was chipped. Isak at dynatech assisted and found that the chip was not working or connected. He told me that the fuel pump was problematic. He replaced the fuel pump, re-chipped the bakkie and walla the bakkie drove like a dream. He obviously had to remove the fuel tank to install the new pump. The bakkie also has a extra long distance tank.

Now here is the problem. On Sunday (2 Jan 2914) I went to the garage and filled up the tank. Bakkie still pulled like a dream. On Wednesday I tried to start the bakkie but with no avail. The battery turned the motor fine but will not start.
I checked all fuses just in case. How can I check if the engine is getting fuel? I took the pipe of the top of the fuel filter and so very little petrol in the pipe. This does not look right to me.

Please any assistance would be great. If Alan (Hoppy) is on line maybe he can assist.
Dawie
davauc
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: 2001 2.7 IFS will not start

Post by davauc »

Tested voltage at Fuel pump. Found it to be 12V. This is a new fuel pump. I have found that no fuel is coming through the fuel filter though. Could the fuel pump be blocked? Could the fuel filter be blocked?

Please assist.
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

the best is probably phone the guy who fitted the new pump and have him have a look at it again :thumbup:
davauc
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by davauc »

Checked all fuses. All OK. Connected battery directly to fuel pump and pump started pumping fuel. This is now looking like it could be the ECU. Has anybody had experience with their ECU?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Hi David,

Did you replace the the fuse of the fuel pump with a new one?Sometimes the old fuse looks 100% but it does not work.Just make 100% sure it is not the fuse
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
davauc
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by davauc »

Hoeray! I got the bakkie going. I suspected the circuit that fires up the ECU or the ECU. The EFI relay coil is the first to be activated via the ignition switch. The contacts of the EFI relay then activates the Open circuit relay via and earth from the ECU. The fuel pump is fires up via contacts of the Open circuit relay.
I started from the most basic ensuring that the battery is fully charged and terminals are clean and make good contact. I the embarked on ensuring all fuses and relays/connections in the appropriate circuit paths are clean and make good contact. Electroclean was used.

The following could be possible problems If you engine turns but will not start.
1. Engine ECU power source circuit
2. Ignition signal circuit
3. Fuel system circuit
4. Spark plug
5. Injector circuit.

Due to the fact that I knew that fuel was the problem I concentrated on checking and cleaning the paths of circuits 1, 2 & 3.

After cleaning these circuit pathways the bakkie started.
Attachments
2.7 IFS Injector Circuit.JPG
2.7 IFS Injector Circuit.JPG (42.39 KiB) Viewed 28745 times
2.7 IFS Ignition Signal Circuit.JPG
2.7 IFS Ignition Signal Circuit.JPG (47.73 KiB) Viewed 28745 times
2.7 IFS Fuel circuit.JPG
(39.14 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times
2.7 IFS ECU Power source circuit.JPG
(42.74 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times
Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: '00 Hilux 2.7i D/Cab IFS.
Club VHF Licence: HC108

Post by Ultred »

Now that's what i like. If you cant get straight answers you make your own. Good on you. This thread is going straight to my " things to consider" folder.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I MAY GET LOST, BUT NO WAY IN HELL WILL I GET STUCK
davauc
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by davauc »

Details of actual fault found
When checking and testing (with multimeter) the fuel system circuit the following was found:

1. The circuit opening relay was removed.
2. The wires feeding the contact were shorted out. (This was to power up the fuel pump without the relay)

The way that the previous owner did this was the problem. The wires were skinned slightly and the just roughly twisted together. This was obviously an accident to happen. This was a dry joint and due to corrosion would cause a intermittend connection or a high resistive joint. This relay (Circuit opening relay) is situated close to the ECU and were Dynatech installed the Unichip. The slightest movement in that area could have caused this joint to be more loose.

I have temporary soldered these wire together to ensure the Bakkie will not let me down. I will commence to get the appropriate relay get the wiring to standard/
Attachments
2.7 IFS Fuel circuit strapped.jpg
(55.81 KiB) Downloaded 1296 times
Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: '00 Hilux 2.7i D/Cab IFS.
Club VHF Licence: HC108

Post by Ultred »

Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:
I MAY GET LOST, BUT NO WAY IN HELL WILL I GET STUCK
davauc
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by davauc »

I went to the stealers and they wanted R400+ for a teeny little relay. I told them I will come back to them. I went to the scrapyard on Saturday. (Barnetts Brackenfell) They have plenty holders/containers full of relays. They allowed me to go and dig for relays with the correct footprint. Although they are known to be expensive, I found three which they charged me R250 for all three. I figured it would be good to have a couple spare.

I then removed the connection between the wires and inserted the relay. The bakkie's wiring is now again standard with no starting problems.
posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=34322#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Post by Mars67 »

Great post!
Jannas
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux DC 4x4

Post by Jannas »

Thanks for a good post!!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hallo David, where does this circuit opening relay sit? I hear the EFI relay click and when I measure it with a multimeter I can see the EFi relay is working. I am not sure which one is this opening circuit relay you are referring to.

My Hilux is dead since Saturday. If I remove the plug on the fuel pump I only measure 5.4 Volts, maybe that is why the fuel pump don't work.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Got her going again.
Do not know what was wrong, so it must be a loose connection somewhere.

The fuel pump still measures 5.4 Volt when I turn the ignition on. Can this be? It shows 5.4 Volt but is running?
I am glad that she is running again but I am worried that I did not find the problem. This means the problem can re-appear anytime again.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

5.4V makes me think that it could indeed be a relay contact that is not conducting well anymore.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

I'm am not sure how the Hilux's fuel system works but on a petrol cruiser there is a resistor that halves the voltage to the fuel pump on lower engine rpm but will supply full voltage(and full pressure) at higher rpm. This is a fuel pump saving mechanism but they do sometimes give trouble.
Image Link Broken
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

That is interesting. SO I must find a way to measure the voltage at high RPM as well.
PietBeton
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: 2.7i 3RZ

Post by PietBeton »

Morning all, thank you a very detailed thread.
I am having the same problem.
I replaced the HG and had to deal with timing out by 180, that is sorted but i now have an identical problem in that the motor turns well but zero spark. I have checked the coils, they good, but there is no current to the coils.
Excuse my being a complete noob here but where do i find the ECU in the vehicle?
Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Kzte

Post by Drifter X »

Excellent thread. Thanks for all the details

Return to “The Workshop”