Starting 2L-T Engine

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
heresjohnny
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Phnom Penh
Vehicle: 1998 Hilux Tiger

Starting 2L-T Engine

Post by heresjohnny »

Hi,

My truck is a 1998 Toyota Hilux, with a 2L-T engine.

I usually have to crank the engine over for about ~5-10 seconds to start the truck in morning. The temp in the morning is usually 25-30C already, so it's not very cold. ;) After it's up to operating temperature, it will start after cranking for ~2 seconds. This is my first diesel truck, but this seems like an excessively long time to have to crank the engine - both when cold and at operating temp.

I assume this isn't normal...? Any thoughts on where I should start looking to get this fixed? It's not a big deal, but I'm concerned about it being part of a larger problem, and it must be hard on the starter to have to crank like that so often.

I'll try and get a video in the morning.

Cheers :)
1998 Hilux Tiger with 2L-T 2.4L.
dantjie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: kuilrivier
Vehicle: HILUX SFA LTD 2.4 EFI

Re: Starting 2L-T Engine

Post by dantjie »

I would suggest you have a look at your glow plugs and timer relay due to that is one of the main components helping you to start in the morning or first start of the day. By the way welcome to the hilux family and truck looks great too. :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If the motor is warmed up there is no need for glow-plugs - should start right off the bat. I'm certainly no diesel fundi, but you might want to have a look at the injector pump and timing. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Citrusdal
Vehicle: 84 SFA Hilux

Post by IndianaJones7746 »

+1 on the glow plugs and timer, would check that first, the 2L's I have and had, does want to be glowed with each start.

But there could be other faults.
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

The simplest way is to take a thick wire from the battery + and hold it on the glow plug rail for 6 to 10 seconds and then start in the morning(so you will need a assistant).Be careful that the wire does not burn your fingers as glow plugs pull allot.

Return to “The Workshop”