Battery drain problem finally sorted

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Battery drain problem finally sorted

Post by smokintyres »

Can't remember if I had ever mentioned it, but my Bullnose's Battery wouldn't last more than three days with out being charged or driven in between. Had narrowed the bad circuit down to the "dome" circuit/fuse by checking the amps drawn in each of them. Due to the rather time consuming job that is taking the dashboard apart, I had never braved finding the actual culprit. But some thieving bastard that decided to steal my radio's face plate one night, pushed me into taking on the tedious job eventually. I started unplugging one thing after the other, starting with the immobilizer, only to find that the LCD clock was the culprit all along!! The current draw was somewhere around 300 to 400mA and is now down to not even 50mA with the clock unplugged.
Has anybody else got the problem on their Bullnose Hilux?
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Re: Battery drain problem finally sorted

Post by yotaman »

I have indeed. Mine just takes 5-6 days to drain. Problem I have is that I'm completely clueless when it comes to auto electrical issues. Tks for sharing
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

smokintyres wrote:Can't remember if I had ever mentioned it, but my Bullnose's Battery wouldn't last more than three days with out being charged or driven in between. Had narrowed the bad circuit down to the "dome" circuit/fuse by checking the amps drawn in each of them. Due to the rather time consuming job that is taking the dashboard apart, I had never braved finding the actual culprit. But some thieving bastard that decided to steal my radio's face plate one night, pushed me into taking on the tedious job eventually. I started unplugging one thing after the other, starting with the immobilizer, only to find that the LCD clock was the culprit all along!! The current draw was somewhere around 300 to 400mA and is now down to not even 50mA with the clock unplugged.
Should the LCD clock not to be off when keys is out of the ignition?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Should the LCD clock not to be off when keys is out of the ignition?
it should,but even 400ma cant drain your battery in 3 days.
I have one of these stop rust units that draw close to that or more constantly and my battery last for more than a week if I let it stand
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

I just quickly did the maths.
Lets say at 500mA it going to us 1 amp every 2 hours.So that is 12 amps per day.So in 3 days 36 amps.
Theoretically you should be able to start you car after 3 days,but it is still a lot.
I think my systems only draws 50mA then.
Mine used to draw more but that was because of an old tracker unit with a faulty battery
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

george wrote:I just quickly did the maths.
Lets say at 500mA it going to us 1 amp every 2 hours.So that is 12 amps per day.So in 3 days 36 amps.
Theoretically you should be able to start you car after 3 days,but it is still a lot.
I think my systems only draws 50mA then.
Mine used to draw more but that was because of an old tracker unit with a faulty battery
Had done the calcs back then and also had my doubts that it could actually draw it flat enough to prevent starting. But I must add, the battery was never completely flat, in fact all that was needed to get the car started was a mere spark, which would bring the electronics back to life and it could actually start by itself. I haven't quite figured that one out yet, but it seems the electronics shut down when the battery reaches a certain voltage?
yotaman wrote:I have indeed. Mine just takes 5-6 days to drain. Problem I have is that I'm completely clueless when it comes to auto electrical issues. Tks for sharing
I must admit, fixing the one problem brought about a few things I have yet to figure out: the 12V power socket/cigarette ligte is without power since then, have checked for lose connection; nada. Another odd thing after all the fiddling I seem to have a headlight on warning buzzer all of a sudden! Gave me a hell of a fright; switched off the engine only to be greeted by a sound I had never heard before! Turning off the headlights cancelled the noise, but it had not done that before.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I was wondering. When you say you unplugged the clock, did you actually unplug the clock itself or unplug the fuse for the clock circuit?

I was just wondering because generally speaking the radio is also on the same circuit as the digital clock
To God be the glory
Cinco
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Marloth Park
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Club VHF Licence: HC243

Post by Cinco »

Lollie wrote:
smokintyres wrote:Can't remember if I had ever mentioned it, but my Bullnose's Battery wouldn't last more than three days with out being charged or driven in between. Had narrowed the bad circuit down to the "dome" circuit/fuse by checking the amps drawn in each of them. Due to the rather time consuming job that is taking the dashboard apart, I had never braved finding the actual culprit. But some thieving bastard that decided to steal my radio's face plate one night, pushed me into taking on the tedious job eventually. I started unplugging one thing after the other, starting with the immobilizer, only to find that the LCD clock was the culprit all along!! The current draw was somewhere around 300 to 400mA and is now down to not even 50mA with the clock unplugged.
How did you measure this current of 300 to 400 mA?
i think I may have a similar problem , regarding battery drain.
Wishing my life away till the next trip!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

bad circuit down to the "dome" circuit/fuse by checking the amps drawn in each of them
What I find interesting about this post is; remember when Tumelo's Hilux almost caught fire and he burnt his harness, it was also the "dome" circuit. :shock2:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Cinco wrote:How did you measure this current of 300 to 400 mA?
A colleague of mine had found this write-up somewhere. It proved to be most helpful!
Attachments
Uncovering battery drains.doc
(138 KiB) Downloaded 835 times
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

pietpetoors wrote:
bad circuit down to the "dome" circuit/fuse by checking the amps drawn in each of them
What I find interesting about this post is; remember when Tumelo's Hilux almost caught fire and he burnt his harness, it was also the "dome" circuit. :shock2:
Definitely worthwhile investigating it seems! :shock:
Cinco
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Marloth Park
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Club VHF Licence: HC243

Post by Cinco »

smokintyres wrote:
Cinco wrote:How did you measure this current of 300 to 400 mA?
A colleague of mine had found this write-up somewhere. It proved to be most helpful!
Thank you for the write-up.

I used it tonight and found my NL intelligent solenoid was the culprit. As soon as i disconnect it I don't show the drain.
Wishing my life away till the next trip!
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

My Toy heep don't have a lcd clock but the battery drain overnight when connected :smile: .
With Battery disconnected it can survive easily the week when I am away and start every time when back on the farm.

It has only a few gauges and head lights connected thr the ignition switch. So either the ignition switch or the alternator is the culprit.

Till now did not find the time to eliminated the culprit.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Johan, if you are not the only owner that the vehicle has had it could be that a previous owner had a tracking device fitted - the device's battery is too old to hold a charge so it constantly draws off the main battery to try charge it - can easily drain a battery overnight to the point where the vehicle won't start in the morning. Other similar culprits are old alarm / immobiliser units that are not functional but still connected to the power. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Johan Kriel »

Andy, no other devices in that vehicle, that I know. The vehicle was stripped completely apart and rebuild recently. Only the basic electrics for farm use. When I pulled all the fuses it still drew current from the battery, that's whats puzzling me. At first I thought the temp gauge was connected directly from the battery, but that seemed not to be the case.

I think one grease monkey assistant has done the electrics, so I need to disconnect more wires to get of the bottom of it.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmm ... that's strange, even with all the fused pulled .... does that include the fuses in the engine compartment? Is this a petrol or diesel motor? :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Johan Kriel »

Diesel motor and all the fuses! :D:
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Johan I had a similar problem recently. Not being a mechanic's @ss, I had no clue how to find the fault.
At the same time my starter started giving problems.
When I replaced the bushes in the starter motor the problem stopped ?????
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Wonder if the glow-plug timer relay is not faulty and 'leaking' to earth. :think: Whatever it is, it gas to be something with a direct feed from the battery - hope you track it down.

Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Johan Kriel »

Thanks will check :thumbup:
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

how can i identify if i have more than one tracking device on vehicle.
when i just bought the vehicle i contacted the trackign company to transfer tracking details, and then soon after that i got email to say system is working , then next day sms to say it not.

phone them then they said i actually got two in there but the inactive one giving the error on their system
buddy then says it will drain your battery. emailed them to ask if i can have old one removed. then they said it actually was removed.

Now did they just say this to save on the effort and/ or cost of removal, or is it actually out of the vehicle ??
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE

Return to “The Workshop”