Negative battery Pole when Charging

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Cinco
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Marloth Park
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Club VHF Licence: HC243

Negative battery Pole when Charging

Post by Cinco »

Is it really necessary to disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal before connecting a battery charger?
Wishing my life away till the next trip!
chopper

Re: Negative battery Pole when Charging

Post by chopper »

Ian
I charged my "cranking battery" without having disconnected it - I wondered about the same :wth:
My common sense tells me it should be disconnected :?:
I did the same with the deep cycle battery (after I observed no negative effects)
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

According to me the only time you need to disconnect the battery is when you work on the electronics or weld something on the chassis.
To God be the glory
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

CasKru wrote:According to me the only time you need to disconnect the battery is when you work on the electronics or weld something on the chassis.

+1
Grootseun
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 1988 SFA DC Lexus

Post by Grootseun »

No need to disconnect
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Many battery chargers now come with leads that you can permanently bolt to the battery, and quick clips to attach the charger - while the battery is linked to the car.
Cinco
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Marloth Park
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Club VHF Licence: HC243

Post by Cinco »

The Hilux manual as well as the owner booklet says disconnect but it is a pain in the butt.
My bakkie stands most of the time and the cranking battery and the deep cycle are usually close to 12V after about two weeks and I then need to charge using a battery charger. Is this drop in voltage normal over this two week time period?

I must say i don't disconnect the deep cycle negative cable when charging this battery and have had no problems so far.

I am a bit nervous to do it with the cranking battery (because of what the manual says) but obviously would prefer not to disconnect the cable every time.
Wishing my life away till the next trip!
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Haboob, here on the forum, has a d4d which he purchased new in 2010.His d4d stands in his garage without being started, sometimes for weeks on end.His a lucky fellow as his d4d is dedicated for overlanding and is not his everyday run-about.He has an intellegent charger permenently connected to his d4d without disconnecting any battery terminals on either his main or secondary battery.He hasn't experienced any adverse issues with his electrics at all.I suppose the type and quality of the charger used may be a contributing factor.

Return to “The Workshop”