Hilux Raider SFA Radiator

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
TKM
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Toyota hilux raider d/c, 3,4L Ford V6, Dual Tanks, OME springs, Gas shocks, Custom Exhaust

Hilux Raider SFA Radiator

Post by TKM »

Hi all,

I have a 1993 Hilux Raider D/C SFA with a 3,4 V6 Ford conversion.
My radiator is leaking and has been repaired many times before so I would like to replace it.
Any recommendations? Suppliers? Upgrades?
I am based in Port Elizabeth.

Many Thanks!
TKM
Go Hard or Go Home!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux Raider SFA Radiator

Post by Mud Dog »

If you were still using the original radiator without any heating problems, then replace with a standard one.

You can get a copper core like the original for close onto 2K but the aluminium core is a lot cheaper at about r900 from guys like Midas, AutoZone and Queen motor spares (If they have a PE branch). The alu unit is also considered to be more efficient but might not last quite as long as the copper one.

IIRC the alu radiator comes with the mounting brackets detached - just be aware that the brackets can be fitted inversely, so if you make a mistake fitting them the overflow at the cap faces the battery / washer bottle instead of the radiator reservoir - (in which case just switch the brackets over). :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
TKM
Vehicle: Toyota hilux raider d/c, 3,4L Ford V6, Dual Tanks, OME springs, Gas shocks, Custom Exhaust

Post by TKM »

Thanks for info Mud Dog.
I bought it with the conversion and I believe the core was upgraded. I have a mother of a fan pulling air through it when it warms up, so cooling hasn't been the most efficient until the fan kicks in. Under heavy towing the temp does climb, so I need the most efficiency possible.
I even had my number angled to get more air in, which worked well until the cops got hold of me!! :beg:
Go Hard or Go Home!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

OK then, if it's been upgraded 2nd but easiest option is to take it to Silverton and ask for a quote to re-core it. Better option is to fit a BMW alu radiator like the guys do when they do a Lexus conversion - this will be more efficient and overcome your heat issues but fitting it will be a little more than a straight in/out replacement. Not sure what model Beemer radiator is used but there are enough threads about it, just do a search. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
TKM

Post by TKM »

Many thanks Mud Dog! Appreciate all the info!
Go Hard or Go Home!!
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

I fitted an aluminium radiator from a 3RZ (R900) when I did my 5VZ conversion and never had any issues with cooling. And it was a straight in/out swap. M2CW.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
sir shrek
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: '09 Hilux D/C 4.0 V6 AKA 'BULLET' Hilux D/C 7M-GE aka SIR SHREK(SOLD) Jetta MK5 2.0TFSI

Post by sir shrek »

I use the BMW 540/740 manual radiator for the 7m conversion with two smaller fans that cover the radiator from side to side and i have never overheated. not even when game viewing or crawling.
Cost about R1200 from Commercial
3" suspension lift 31" bfg muds dual fuel tanks custom bushbar 7M-GE
Rear Diff Lock Custom made snorkel
UGLY LIKE SHREK,STRONG LIKE RUSSIA

Return to “The Workshop”