4y to 4ye conversion help!

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1984 yn65 daily driver and 1982 ln46 hilux donor/project

4y to 4ye conversion help!

Post by Yupiman663 »

Hi all first post on this forum!

Just to the haters I have looked up this information as hard as I can and sadly have found nothing or don't have a community like this for assistance , that's why I'm here!

Here's the story,
I've got a 1984 yn65 4y carby that I'm converting to efi from a 4ye out of a ln46 hilux which the previous owner gave up on the swap, I'm stuck on the final stage of getting the loom integrated into my yn65 but the efi loom has been hacked up and I'm having difficulty and a rookie to this type of system.

Everything is good except for the two yellow ecu plugs inline next to the three that plug into the ecu I need to know what they control and then I think I'm 99% and can run the system to diagnose the last few loose vacuum lines etc...

I'm asking for any pointers, diagrams, pictures, links and any other help you guys can give me.

I also see that the "dicktator"" system is popular does this have a loom that would be relatively plug and play and what are the benefits / cons of this system.

Many thanks for your help in advance!
:beg:
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: 4y to 4ye conversion help!

Post by The Legend »

David,Louis is a member of the hilux club and has done many efi conversions.He also uses the dictator management system.He can do an efi conversion with closed eyes.

Just hang on soon or later he will reply to this link.

Louis come in please!!
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Thanks lollie!

Hopefully he comes on soon!
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Bump ladies and gentlemen really need some assistance on this please :thumbup:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

David, most of the guys here are on holiday at the moment so only check in when the beer runs out.

The Dicktator system is a locally produced (in SA) stand-alone system which comes with it's own loom and can be wired up by anyone who has a little grey matter and can read instructions. (this might prove beyond the grasp an Aussie..... :surrender: )

The benefits of this system is that it can run both spark AND fuel in a stand-alone setup, or either one of the two, if fitted in tandem with an OEM electronic system.

It's fully mapable on a laptop but best results when set up by a knowledgeable tuner with a dyno.

The only con for you, I think, will be the availability of the system over there BUT it comes in kit form with a software CD for the mapping so shouldn't be too much of an issue to ship one over.

Sorry but can't help you with the elusive wire issue.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Sounds excellent should be plenty tonight I hope!

Haha more like what are holidays!? :banned: but that does sound like good news for me as I have emailed dicktator but there beer must not have run out yet.

Kit form is such a rare thing for these model hilux's feels like Christmas all over again!

Another thing I cannot find out over here is the approximate cost of the dicktator system and then there will be postage etc of course. But a rough idea might be a bit settling as I'm a bit lost as the loom is only half there and she is my daily driver and I'd hate to put that dam carby back on just to take it off.

But thanks for the reply and have a great new year and best wishes for the new year to you and your family :boss:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

zepplin wrote:The Dicktator system is a locally produced (in SA) stand-alone system which comes with it's own loom and can be wired up by anyone who has a little grey matter and can read instructions. (this might prove beyond the grasp an Aussie..... :surrender: )

The benefits of this system is that it can run both spark AND fuel in a stand-alone setup, or either one of the two, if fitted in tandem with an OEM electronic system.

It's fully mapable on a laptop but best results when set up by a knowledgeable tuner with a dyno.

The only con for you, I think, will be the availability of the system over there BUT it comes in kit form with a software CD for the mapping so shouldn't be too much of an issue to ship one over.

Sorry but can't help you with the elusive wire issue.
I agree, Dicktator very easy to do, Spitronics and Gotech also good systems. The problem with OEM ECU is that they are quite finicky w.r.t. the correct sensors etc. With the Dicktator you can basically use any temp sensors, you can set the gradient yourself. I don't know how much knowledge is available w.r.t. the original OEM ECU for the 4y, I know Louis had a huge battle to do a 22R OEM, but Dicktator conversion had been done many times and all the issues have been sorted. It is a very basic system, no bells and whistles but reliable, that is what one needs for a daily runner 4x4.

I think a Dicktator ECU with ignitor will be in the region of between R 3000 to R 4000, (AUS $315-375 more or less).

Good luck,

Cheers,

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

As Chris says, easy to set up & use with no frills.

Dicktator use a network of agents in SA for sale & set up. I know the Cape Town agents so let me have a word with them & see what getting one to you will entail - but plan on around spending approx. AUS 400 plus postage/courier.

Enjoy the celebrations.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Forgot to say welcome to the forum and season's greetings!!
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Focus Chris...........FOCUS! :twisted:
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Oh awesome fellas! Thanks for the great advice I've got 6 original engine and year model hilux/4 runner workshop books so hopefully that will be enough to help this noob get all the wiring sorted but I'd love the advise from the salesman you know to import one because who knows if the original ecu will be upto the standard I'm hoping for :)

:yahoo:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi David,

Maybe have a look at systems available in Australia as well: Microtech, Halltech, Link etc. Not an easy decision, but good luck!

Cheers,

C
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Will do mate, looks like the books givesme the ecu pinout which is a big help so will be a long process I think!

Does have a lot of information for later on with diagnostic codes from the ecu and voltage and resistance tests for a lot of components!

I'm pretty keen on the dicktator really based on all the reviews/ conversation on this site sounds like an excellent peice of equipment!
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi David,

The only reason I suggested you look at the products available in Aus, is for you to have local back-up, if you run into a problem, but I guess with the Interwebs help is only a click away!!

Cheers,

C
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Oh I totally agree I can never get help with my hilux because its almost forgotten about when I have a totally specific problem..! I'm still having bundles of trouble with this loom :/

Might be just too much for this Aussie to handle :/ really need a full loom diagram with wire colour codes etc because the bloke I got it from chopped it half up when he tried to convert it. All thoes manuals aren't really helping. Hopefully 'dicktator' can get back to me because I'd hate to pull it out and put that prehistoric carby back in. :s
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

David, I had a chat to my mates. Dicktator does sell abroad but nit through a dealer network. The deal direct so I think the delay in response from them might be due to the holidays.

A standard Dicktator ECU - which works on the 4Y - plus an ignitor (for the spark) - sells here at the moment for AUS 350 equvalent. If you like, I can pass on the contact details for the local agents here in Cape Town for you.

The only other part you might need to source over there is a suitable distributor (from a 4YE) as the one off a carbie motor will have to be modified.
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

zepplin wrote:David, I had a chat to my mates. Dicktator does sell abroad but nit through a dealer network. The deal direct so I think the delay in response from them might be due to the holidays.

A standard Dicktator ECU - which works on the 4Y - plus an ignitor (for the spark) - sells here at the moment for AUS 350 equvalent. If you like, I can pass on the contact details for the local agents here in Cape Town for you.

The only other part you might need to source over there is a suitable distributor (from a 4YE) as the one off a carbie motor will have to be modified.

I'd really appreciate that Steve I think I have the right distributor I just cannot sort this wiring it's just too many things wrong to piece it together! Jeez at that price it's less then an auto electrician to even look at it!
Attachments
image.jpg
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brisbane Australia
Vehicle: 1985 4 runner sr5 3y engine

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Yupiman663 wrote:Oh I totally agree I can never get help with my hilux because its almost forgotten about when I have a totally specific problem..! I'm still having bundles of trouble with this loom :/

Might be just too much for this Aussie to handle :/ really need a full loom diagram with wire colour codes etc because the bloke I got it from chopped it half up when he tried to convert it. All thoes manuals aren't really helping. Hopefully 'dicktator' can get back to me because I'd hate to pull it out and put that prehistoric carby back in. :s

Hi David . Looked at my manuals same as you no colour code for wiring :eh:
Perhaps worth a try . You might get some local help re wireing here . Good luck . :thumbup:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/aushiluxowners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No one has ever made it out alive yet .
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

4 runner oldie wrote:
Yupiman663 wrote:Oh I totally agree I can never get help with my hilux because its almost forgotten about when I have a totally specific problem..! I'm still having bundles of trouble with this loom :/

Hi David . Looked at my manuals same as you no colour code for wiring :eh:
Perhaps worth a try . You might get some local help re wireing here . Good luck . :thumbup:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/aushiluxowners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the advise made some pleas on there too haha this is bloody frustrating all the hardware is in and should be sweet to run just a small hitch which is turning major.. :/
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

David,here is a photo of my electronic dizzy.It looks the same like the one in your 4y.My dizzie is the same one which I used on the carb before the EFI conversion.But I know there was a few changes to do on it before it works with the EFI conversion.

Louis will be the man to explain what changes to do on the dizzie before it will work with the EFI.
Attachments
dizzy2 (Medium).JPG
(87.44 KiB) Downloaded 240 times

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Sorry David

Here is the correct photo of dizzie on my my EFI.Previous pic was with the carb
Attachments
DIZ1 (800x600).jpg
(264.61 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

David ,Sorry to confuse you.Louis did not use the same dizzie what I use with the carb.I remember now he use a dizzie which come out of a 4y EFI imported motor but he still have to do some changes to let it work with the Dictator system.

cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Lollie wrote:David ,Sorry to confuse you.Louis did not use the same dizzie what I use with the carb.I remember now he use a dizzie which come out of a 4y EFI imported motor but he still have to do some changes to let it work with the Dictator system.
Changes are usually to remove vacuum and mechanical advance (timing advance done by the ECU now, and there musn't be any movement between the 2 dissy shafts).

Is it a magnetic pick-up dissy? Then one would need the magnetic adaptor (from Dicktator) as well. The magnetic adaptor converts the saw-tooth/sine wave from the pick-up to a square wave that the ECu can read.

Cheers,

C
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Lollie wrote:David,here is a photo of my electronic dizzy.It looks the same like the one in your 4y.My dizzie is the same one which I used on the carb before the EFI conversion.But I know there was a few changes to do on it before it works with the EFI conversion.

Louis will be the man to explain what changes to do on the dizzie before it will work with the EFI.

Dawie, that's a different dizzy to mine mine has an electric advance I think Mabey a close up photo would be the go? Also is it just me or is that your carby fuel pump? Have you used that for the efi or just a filter?

What psi pump does everyone use/recommend? Something about 35-45 psi I think I understand?
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

cprinsloo wrote:
Lollie wrote:David ,Sorry to confuse you.Louis did not use the same dizzie what I use with the carb.I remember now he use a dizzie which come out of a 4y EFI imported motor but he still have to do some changes to let it work with the Dictator system.
Changes are usually to remove vacuum and mechanical advance (timing advance done by the ECU now, and there musn't be any movement between the 2 dissy shafts).

Is it a magnetic pick-up dissy? Then one would need the magnetic adaptor (from Dicktator) as well. The magnetic adaptor converts the saw-tooth/sine wave from the pick-up to a square wave that the ECu can read.

Cheers,

C

Hmm gonna have to simplify for me as I'm only a beginner to timing etc, it doesn't have a mechanical advance it's fully electric, it has a little wheel with saw like teeth on it?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Hi David

Did you read this link?

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=1172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Yupiman663 wrote:
Lollie wrote:David,here is a photo of my electronic dizzy.It looks the same like the one in your 4y.My dizzie is the same one which I used on the carb before the EFI conversion.But I know there was a few changes to do on it before it works with the EFI conversion.

Dawie, that's a different dizzy to mine mine has an electric advance I think Mabey a close up photo would be the go? Also is it just me or is that your carby fuel pump? Have you used that for the efi or just a filter?

What psi pump does everyone use/recommend? Something about 35-45 psi I think I understand?

David,It is the carby fuel pump in the 1ste pic,but you will see on the 2nd pic it was removed and blank of.I use a Bosch electric fuel pump on my efi which is mounted on the chassis near the the fuel tank.

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Pic of dizzie with cab removed
Attachments
open dizzie (800x600).jpg
(250.36 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

ok.

the dicktator you can import if you like. just as mentioned aftermarket ecu can be better and look in auz too.

the oe ecu from year to year is different so it will be difficult to get pinouts or wire colours. one mistake and you loose the ecu.

the dizzy is from the 4ye type motor but is a double magnetic pickup. 4 fins top and 4 bottom. the bottom is where the 2 magnetic pickups are. this dizzy give a stronger signal. but not all one have to change the rotor angle also to 45 degrees manually.

just to show I attach a diagram of the dicktator to show you how easy a aftermarket ecu can be. but some can be technical too.
Attachments
ECU Wiring.jpg
(162.29 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

zepplin wrote:David, I had a chat to my mates. Dicktator does sell abroad but nit through a dealer network. The deal direct so I think the delay in response from them might be due to the holidays.

Still looking out for those contact details please, I'm getting fed up with this bloody loom so I hve put the tools down for now :/ want my car back not enjoying driving the mrs hyundai getz :'(
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Lollie wrote: David,It is the carby fuel pump in the 1ste pic,but you will see on the 2nd pic it was removed and blank of.I use a Bosch electric fuel pump on my efi which is mounted on the chassis near the the fuel tank.

Oh okay am I right about the pressure or what pump specifications should I be looking out for?
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:ok.

the dicktator you can import if you like. just as mentioned aftermarket ecu can be better and look in auz too.

the oe ecu from year to year is different so it will be difficult to get pinouts or wire colours. one mistake and you loose the ecu.

the dizzy is from the 4ye type motor but is a double magnetic pickup. 4 fins top and 4 bottom. the bottom is where the 2 magnetic pickups are. this dizzy give a stronger signal. but not all one have to change the rotor angle also to 45 degrees manually.

just to show I attach a diagram of the dicktator to show you how easy a aftermarket ecu can be. but some can be technical too.

Yeah I just don't think it's worth the time to get the genuine ecu going as its very outdated and really not optimum.

I had a look at a few recommended Aussie ecu sites and products, a lot more expensive in retrospect I think and they definately look to be more race related rather then a ecu suitable to upgrade a BEAUTIFUL but none the less 30 year old ute :cooldude:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

:ttwwp:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Yupiman663 wrote:
Lollie wrote: David,It is the carby fuel pump in the 1ste pic,but you will see on the 2nd pic it was removed and blank of.I use a Bosch electric fuel pump on my efi which is mounted on the chassis near the the fuel tank.

Oh okay am I right about the pressure or what pump specifications should I be looking out for?
You'll need a good quality high pressure pump. Bosch, Walbro etc. 4.5 - 6 bar. Another option is an "in-tank" pump (from a newer model, not too familiar with mods required). If you go for a exterior pump, I highly recommend installing a surge tank with LP (Facet) pump as well, those HP pumps don't like low pressure on their intakes, cause cavitation and eventual failure.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

The Fuel pump I use is the Bosch 3 bar. How ever all of all the Efi's I done so far I had to change the piping inside the tank from 6mm to 10mm. This eliminates the fuel cavitation that Chris mentioned.

To add I put a normal inline fuel filter in the low pressure side (feed), this protects the pump from any ingress from the tank side. Near to the high pressure side(delivery) a decent inline high pressure filter.

The Pricing on the Ecu(Dicktator std), Igniter and mag adaptor for the dizzy is R3300 here in Sa.
Its a nice system and anyone can learn it if you like to do things like that. Always save a map before you start playing, if you don't your ute wont even start. :lol:

Well the dizzy will be the most important setup that you do on the whole conversion, get it half wrong and the Whole conversion wont perform.

Other things you saw in the Diagram is the Idle control valve and airsensor, it is not a must but especially with starting the Idle control valve it make it a bit easier to start on a cold day. Airsensor a add if you really want to fine tune the system but can do without.

Then the 2nd watertemp must be used. it is a std Toyota part.

I post a bit pics later.
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

cprinsloo wrote::ttwwp:
Sorry my phones picture size is too high for this website:/
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

cprinsloo wrote:
Yupiman663 wrote:

You'll need a good quality high pressure pump. Bosch, Walbro etc. 4.5 - 6 bar. Another option is an "in-tank" pump (from a newer model, not too familiar with mods required). If you go for a exterior pump, I highly recommend installing a surge tank with LP (Facet) pump as well, those HP pumps don't like low pressure on their intakes, cause cavitation and eventual failure.
Oh okay awesome well I have got a low pressure pump already! (4-7psi rated) that be okay for the 'pre' pump? Also im guessing that the surge tank goes between the low and high pump?
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Done the last 22 4Y Efi's all the same way. This was Lolly's.
Attachments
Fishish&Klaar.jpg
(133.68 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Injector wiring begin.jpg
Injector wiring begin.jpg (95.63 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
Fuel pump setup.jpg
Fuel pump setup.jpg (86.08 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
Fuel 10mm outlet.jpg
Fuel 10mm outlet.jpg (67.91 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
Fuel 6mm outlet.jpg
Fuel 6mm outlet.jpg (93.51 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
Dicktator Ecu.jpg
Dicktator Ecu.jpg (82.33 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:The Fuel pump I use is the Bosch 3 bar. How ever all of all the Efi's I done so far I had to change the piping inside the tank from 6mm to 10mm. This eliminates the fuel cavitation that Chris mentioned.

To add I put a normal inline fuel filter in the low pressure side (feed), this protects the pump from any ingress from the tank side. Near to the high pressure side(delivery) a decent inline high pressure filter.

The Pricing on the Ecu(Dicktator std), Igniter and mag adaptor for the dizzy is R3300 here in Sa.
Its a nice system and anyone can learn it if you like to do things like that. Always save a map before you start playing, if you don't your ute wont even start. :lol:

Well the dizzy will be the most important setup that you do on the whole conversion, get it half wrong and the Whole conversion wont perform.

Other things you saw in the Diagram is the Idle control valve and airsensor, it is not a must but especially with starting the Idle control valve it make it a bit easier to start on a cold day. Airsensor a add if you really want to fine tune the system but can do without.

Then the 2nd watertemp must be used. it is a std Toyota part.

I post a bit pics later.
Do you think it's a must to change the tank output size? Or a surge tank a good compromise?

That's a pretty good price that would be everything I need minus the shipping? Is that including loom, tuning software and a computer hookup to the ecu?

Very excited to have a go at trying to tune my own car, all new to me! I'll post a picture of inside my dizzy so that all the blokes helping me can help me get on track with their advise on how to modify my particular dizzy.

So will the dictator ecu use the genuine cold start injector, map sensor, temperature, exhaust sensor etc? And will I have to re wire the whole engine bay loom? Or will it be more of a chop off my plugs to the current ecu and crimp and soldier away into a new plug configuration?
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Internals of my dizzy.
Attachments
image.jpg
(88.9 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Done the last 22 4Y Efi's all the same way. This was Lolly's.
i

looking good mate, so it requires re wiring? Is it possible at all to get replica plugs to make the job #1:easy & #2: makenit more stream line
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

The problem wires are in hand!
Attachments
image.jpg
(68.45 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Lets start what you have. Take pics and but it on here, reduce the size to 640 x480 before you post or upload. But lets answer some of your questions here.

Do you think it's a must to change the tank output size? Or a surge tank a good compromise? I just do the output, works. Your choice if you want to have the surge tank.

That's a pretty good price that would be everything I need minus the shipping? Is that including loom, tuning software and a computer hookup to the ecu?Inludes loom, software but you need to get a very decent usb to serial cable. Or for R300 more there is a update Ecu with normal printer usb cable.

Very excited to have a go at trying to tune my own car, all new to me! I'll post a picture of inside my dizzy so that all the blokes helping me can help me get on track with their advise on how to modify my particular dizzy.

So will the dictator ecu use the genuine cold start injector, map sensor, temperature, exhaust sensor etc? And will I have to re wire the whole engine bay loom? Or will it be more of a chop off my plugs to the current ecu and crimp and soldier away into a new plug configuration?Cold start not used, you set ecu fuel mixture richer to make starting easier. Or use a VW idle control valve with the ecu function. OE map sensor not used. Ecu have it built in. 2nd temp sensor needed for ecu. Exhaust sensor not used.

Wiring new to existing you have get +, -, ignition + and the revcounter pickup that connect to the Ecu.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

You don't use those wiring. Just the new loom wiring.

The dizzy you have turn the rotor to no1 spark. take a pic of the insides then. One might use that dizzy.
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Louis,

I've just got the pictures sorted thanks, have just got a new phone to take lovely hilux photos!

both swirl and 10mm!.. Ha Mabey I should just get the ecu to run.

Oh okay is the updated ecu my different/ better other then common outlet cable?

Well that's fairly simple then really! Not too much involved at all
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

The ecu is the same except that computer connection is simpler.

Awaits the pics of your dizzy.
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

My efi (electronic advance only) dizzy at tdc
Attachments
image.jpg
(76.13 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:The ecu is the same except that computer connection is simpler.

Hey Louis judging by the photo above will that dizzy be suitable? And what modifications specifically need to be done to that dizzy to use it with the dictator ecu?

Have ordered dictator ecu and biting my fingernails here waiting for it!

Thanks mate

David.
Yupiman663
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Yupiman663 »

Subject: 4y to 4ye conversion help!
4x4megaworldpta wrote:The ecu is the same except that computer connection is simpler.

Hey Louis sorry to bother you again mate but this post sees to have died off?

But I still need a question or two answered, if you would mind helping me?

#1. will the distributor I have be appropriate for the conversion? (Picture attached)

#2. a specific dictator question where does this Small circuit board exactly go? Is this to clean up the signal as I've seen other members talk about? Where would I wire it into my distributor? (Picture attached)
Attachments
Igniter assembly . Just for reference..
Igniter assembly . Just for reference..
image.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 7263 times
Top of my distributor
Top of my distributor
image.jpg (53.51 KiB) Viewed 7263 times
image.jpg
My distributor will it be okay with dictator ecu system?
(76.13 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Dictator circuit board provided in kit?
Dictator circuit board provided in kit?
image.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 7263 times
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Yupiman663 wrote:Subject: 4y to 4ye conversion help!

Hey Louis sorry to bother you again mate but this post sees to have died off?

But I still need a question or two answered, if you would mind helping me?

#1. will the distributor I have be appropriate for the conversion? (Picture attached)

#2. a specific dictator question where does this Small circuit board exactly go? Is this to clean up the signal as I've seen other members talk about? Where would I wire it into my distributor? (Picture attached)
Yes David,

I think Louis is a bit busy, he'll probably reply later but in the mean time I'll try to help.

I'm not the expert on that dissy, but it should work with a modification or 2. Remember that the ECU will now do the timing advance, it will not be done by vacuum/weights/stepper motor any more, so the 2 shafts of the dissy must be locked (welded) together, and all advance mechanisms disconnected. What is important is that the rotor must now be in a fixed position w.r.t. the crank/cam shaft, there must be no relative movement. It is important that the rotor is at the right position in the dissy as well (in line with the high tension terminals). If you turn the crank shaft to TDC, the rotor's trailing edge of the terminal must just be in line with the no 1 HT lead terminal. This gives the ECU the space to advance the timing, i.e. the more advanced the timing, the sooner it will fire and the rotor terminal will then still be in line with the HT terminal. I attach a pic. (Hope it makes sense!!)

It seems your dissy is a 2-coil dissy. The 2 coils are usually connected in series, which gives you a bigger voltage which the ECU can read. This voltage is only used as a trigger for the ECU. The raw signal from the coil is not a nice square wave (which the ECU needs for accuracy), but something like a saw tooth signal. The magnetic adapter converts the saw tooth in a square wave. On the mag adaptor there is a "IN", "OUT" and 2 "GND" holes. The "IN" is connected to the YELLOW wire from the dissy coil. The "RED" wire goes to "GND". The "OUT" on the adaptor is connected to the "GREEN" wire from the ECU, the "GND" on that side is connected to a "BLACK" wire from the ECu (Terminal 9 according to the drawing). I've soldered some wires into mine, then I put it in a small box on top of the engine. It should be as close as posssible to the dissy IIRC.

Connecting only 1 coil should work, but the gap between the magnet and the coil should be as small as possible. If you use 2 coils in series, the gap can be bigger, but it is important that the 2 magnets are lined up correctly to the respective coils, because they must work together. Polarity is important, otherwise they will cancel each other out. I spun mine with an electric drill, measured the coil output, it was about 2.8 v AC on a DMM.

The trigger should accur about 40 - 45 degrees before TDC, to give the ECU enough time to do the calculations and the firing. There is a setting in the software where this trigger can be adjusted as well so that 0 degrees on the software map will correspond to 0 degrees on the crank timing marks (TDC).

Have a look at the drawing, you should get the idea of how the rotor and the trigger should be set up. If you get it going, the timing will probably be out a bit, then you can fine tune it with a timing light.

Good luck,

C
Dissy.jpg
Dissy.jpg (27.02 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
Kev.marquand
Town: Ballarat
Vehicle: Suzuki vitara with 2.2 4y

Post by Kev.marquand »

Hello I'm sorry but this is way off topic but I'm also doing the same conversion but trying to use all the original efi gear. Just wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for the stock 4yec ecu as I'm having serious trouble finding one.
Thanks kelvin
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Here in the RSA we never had the 4Ye available, only 4Y with carb. The guys here then use an after market ECU that's probably wired quire differently. Have you tried Google ?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Kev.marquand
Town: Ballarat
Vehicle: Suzuki vitara with 2.2 4y

Post by Kev.marquand »

Ok thankyou I'm obviously trying to do it the hard way. Yeah I have tried google. Ur their seams to be nothing that's of any use. Everything else except what I want

Return to “The Workshop”