Hilux v6 4.0 low on power (another fuel pump?)

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
koos990
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: Hilux 07 V6

Hilux v6 4.0 low on power (another fuel pump?)

Post by koos990 »

Hi all
My 07 Hilux feels a bit down on power (less than 100 k km).
I am thinking fuel pump, fuel filter or cats blocked.

I know the v6 is known for fuel pump problems especially if long range tank fitted. but I do not have long range tank. Also it seems others notice a shudder/hesitation under load, which mine does not do, it is however very dead and I have to shift down a gear to overtake. I can feel the bakkie is fast, but it feels almost like I am towing a boat, it accelerates very slowly. Should be noted I have stnd small 255/70/15 on. Bakkie is especially dead with uphills, 4 or 5th gear. I know the bakkie is heavy and all, but it just does not feel normal.

I am thinking either F.pump or cats.
The bakkie is not that bad on fuel. I get 6.9km/l in town, and 7.9 km/l on the open road. Driving very slowly and conservative.

Question:
1) how difficult is the fuel pump to remove and replace. I hear something about a special tool?
2) Is a pump problem always noticed by hesitation / shudder.
3) Does anyone know of an aftermarket pump.
4) any signs for a blocked exhaust pipe (cats) would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing this first, then I can hear the motor better - bonus.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Koos
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Re: Hilux v6 4.0 low on power (another fuel pump?)

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

koos990 wrote:Hi all
My 07 Hilux feels a bit down on power (less than 100 k km).
I am thinking fuel pump, fuel filter or cats blocked.

I know the v6 is known for fuel pump problems especially if long range tank fitted. but I do not have long range tank. Also it seems others notice a shudder/hesitation under load, which mine does not do, it is however very dead and I have to shift down a gear to overtake. I can feel the bakkie is fast, but it feels almost like I am towing a boat, it accelerates very slowly. Should be noted I have stnd small 255/70/15 on. Bakkie is especially dead with uphills, 4 or 5th gear. I know the bakkie is heavy and all, but it just does not feel normal.

I am thinking either F.pump or cats.
The bakkie is not that bad on fuel. I get 6.9km/l in town, and 7.9 km/l on the open road. Driving very slowly and conservative.

Question:
1) how difficult is the fuel pump to remove and replace. I hear something about a special tool?speak to OOSIE 101 he replaced his not to long ago
2) Is a pump problem always noticed by hesitation / shudder.
3) Does anyone know of an aftermarket pump.
4) any signs for a blocked exhaust pipe (cats) would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing this first, then I can hear the motor better - bonus. Just do the cats but remember that you may have to fit mini cats which could be expensive

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Koos
Good luck
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 AT
Club VHF Licence: X298

Post by Oosie101 »

Fuel pump removal is a massive job!!! Without that special tool it takes plenty of patience and lots of swearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Koos, B4 trying the big things, Start with the small & easily manageable ones...
Start Fuel filter (small & cheap)...
Next the exhaust if there are CATS that can get blocked...
Thirdly see Alan (Hoppy) on the Forum, who probably knows more about Toyota's than the rest of us put together...
Good Luck and keep us updated...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

When buying a fuelpump order the whole tank unit it's nearly half the price of the pump only
koos990

Post by koos990 »

Thanks for all the help.
I will try the small things first.
If a new tank comes with the pump then that option sure does make sense. And I save time on labour. ( either my own time or the agent's,(normally I try things on my own first).

Koos
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

The tank unit is the whole fuelpump assembly not the tank
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Oosie101 »

The part numbers are different but as far as I know the pump you get when buying the whole tank unit is an inferior pump and not an actual Denso pump... So I hear...

justaguy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: hilux 4.0 4x4

Post by justaguy »

the fuel pump normally only kaks when a long range tank was fitted and metal dust and particals were left in the tank after drilling , i replaced my pump at 110,000 , the filter was full of metal pices , i do not think it is your pump if you just have the std tank , also if it is your fuel pump you will feel surging when accelerating , im going to do my cats now , im on 130,000km now and i can feel a little power loss and a strong smell when starting the bakkie in the morning , its like a strong exhaust gas smell , this is usually a sign that the cats are blocking.........
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Oosie101 »

justaguy wrote:the fuel pump normally only kaks when a long range tank was fitted and metal dust and particals were left in the tank after drilling , i replaced my pump at 110,000 , the filter was full of metal pices , i do not think it is your pump if you just have the std tank , also if it is your fuel pump you will feel surging when accelerating , im going to do my cats now , im on 130,000km now and i can feel a little power loss and a strong smell when starting the bakkie in the morning , its like a strong exhaust gas smell , this is usually a sign that the cats are blocking.........
you are correct yes, I also did not have any issues before fitting the LR tank... it started about 3 months or so after the tank was fitted... LOTS and LOTS of metal shavings in the filter when I replaced it.
hend
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Prado
Club VHF Licence: hend

Post by hend »

My Prado was down on power and I thought it was the fuel pump. Installed a new pump and it made no difference. Used a obd bluetooth dongle and TorquePro app and saw the air/fuel ratio wad running up to 18 instead of 14. Turned out to be a bad air flow sensor. Easy to replace but quite pricey.
Check your MAF before changing the pump. Have the fuel pressure tested, it will tell you if the pump is good or bad.
Danie

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

How much does Toyota charge to plug in that diagnostic goody? They should be able to give you a report that will point out if one of the sensor(like the MAF) is klaar.

Many of the other decent service centres like Diesel Electric should also be able to give you a diagnostic report!
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Oosie101 »

When I had a similar issue I took mine to Monument Toyota in Roodepoort and they did the diagnostic report for free... did not find anything on it though, and the next logical problem was the fuel pump.... Have you tried cleaning your MAF with electrical contact cleaner? I have read that that sometimes sorts out the issue as well.
koos990

Post by koos990 »

No, have not yet checked or cleaned the MAF. Cleaning is easy and maybe I will start with this first

Then ill start with the CATS and fuel filter. the exhaust is dead quiet and a noiser tone is welcome.

Regarding fuel pump. Since I dont have a long range tank. I will leave this for the last solution.
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Oosie101 »

Good idea! That sounds like the right chain of thought. Hoping for your sake that it does not go all the way to the fuel pump. Keep us posted!

sir shrek
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: '09 Hilux D/C 4.0 V6 AKA 'BULLET' Hilux D/C 7M-GE aka SIR SHREK(SOLD) Jetta MK5 2.0TFSI

Post by sir shrek »

I want to follow this one
3" suspension lift 31" bfg muds dual fuel tanks custom bushbar 7M-GE
Rear Diff Lock Custom made snorkel
UGLY LIKE SHREK,STRONG LIKE RUSSIA
koos990

Post by koos990 »

Just some feedback
Finally got around to de-cat my Hilux a week ago. They cleaned out the front cats and removed the rear ones. Mine is a 07 thus do not require mini cats. No warning lights on.

Conclusion:
So far very happy. I can feel the bakkie has more grunt between 2-300 revs. This is also the rev range at +-120kmh. Have not yet took the bakkie on a long trip nor have I done a fuel full up. Thus cant comment yet on fuel consumption. I experience a slight resonating sound but nothing to bother me, also only when I accelerate, not under constant throttle.

Will give feedback later on fuel consumption.
sir shrek
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: '09 Hilux D/C 4.0 V6 AKA 'BULLET' Hilux D/C 7M-GE aka SIR SHREK(SOLD) Jetta MK5 2.0TFSI

Post by sir shrek »

Kobus I also heard the slight resonating sound especially in town. don't hear a thing on the freeway. Maybe I should have a free flow box fitted to clear the resonating sound. But I do not want a noise when driving at 120
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

My v6 bakkie also had the resonance noise after the decat. I took it back and Roddy fitted 2 small silencers, one on each bank of the engine. Resonance gone, and she still sounds great!
TSchutte
Town: Rosh Pinah Namibia
Vehicle: 4.0 v6

Post by TSchutte »

Morning Guys

my bakkie also have the same problem,no power and was heavy on fuel.The pressure of the fuel pump must be 3.2 kpa.The workshop foreman unplug the denso plug and bridge it with a paperclip the pressure goes up to 3.2 and the bakkie is also given me 7.2 know

Next to the battery is a grey box ,big as n cigarette box ,it is mounted on the wheel arce.unplug the wire and brigde out the wire not the box.test it it works.also Toyota ask me N$ 5894.23 for a knew pump i bought mine for N$ 337.99 at diesel electric
sir shrek
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by sir shrek »

Tokkie so jy kan daai boks heeltemal bypass.?
Ry jy permanent in Bridged mode of is dit net om te toets?
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

TSchutte wrote:Morning Guys

my bakkie also have the same problem,no power and was heavy on fuel.The pressure of the fuel pump must be 3.2 kpa.The workshop foreman unplug the denso plug and bridge it with a paperclip the pressure goes up to 3.2 and the bakkie is also given me 7.2 know

Next to the battery is a grey box ,big as n cigarette box ,it is mounted on the wheel arce.unplug the wire and brigde out the wire not the box.test it it works.also Toyota ask me N$ 5894.23 for a knew pump i bought mine for N$ 337.99 at diesel electric
Is it possible to give us a photo of this bridge?
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!

Return to “The Workshop”