1999-2005 IFS Hilux Rust Warning

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

1999-2005 IFS Hilux Rust Warning

Post by pietpetoors »

Today I wanted to fit roof rack rails to my Hilux.
First step was to remove those strips on the roof. They have been glued to the roof so one must just pull them off.

With a shock I found lots of rust under them strips.

It is one of those brilliant designs where water and dust can go in but not out.

The rear corners were the worst. On both sides they already rusted a hole through the roof. The second worst was the front corners. On both sides there were severe rust just above the windscreen rubber.

It hurts to pull those strips off, but it hurts even more to see all the rust below it. If you own one of these Hiluxes you might consider doing it.

I think the vehicle is better off without those strips so water can run away and the roof can dry.

To fix you can either remove them completely, clean very well and have the whole roof repainted. If you do not want to repaint the whole roof, since those strips are a charcoal colour, just have the gutters painted in a charcoal colour and leave the strips off. If you like the strips then fix the rust and put the strips back.
Or you can clean and fix the rust with a good rust inhibitor paint and fit roof rack rails. That is what I am going to do. The ends of the roof rack rail will be open, thus water and dust will easily escape in future.

For paint I used Hammerite Direct To Rust. The paint acts as a rust inhibitor, primer and top coat, all in one. If the promise on the can is something to believe, it should solve the problem for the next 8 years.

For now I cleaner it and painted 2x coats of Hammerrite. Want to leave it for 2 or 3 days and then I will fit the roof rails.
Hilux-rust-problem-(1).jpg
Hilux Rust
(113.06 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Hilux-rust-problem-(2).jpg
Rust
(79.88 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Check all the crap under the rear corner piece.
Hilux-rust-problem-(3).jpg
IFS Hilux Rust
(126.73 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
After I cleaned it:
Hilux-Rust.jpg
Erg Roes
(100.92 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Hilux-rust-problem-(7).jpg
Hilux Rust
(74.33 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Re: 1999-2005 IFS Hilux Rust Warning

Post by louis fourie »

Ek hou dop. Gelukkig bly ek nie by die see nie.
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

Louis daai kom nie net van as jy by die see bly nie dit gebeur net vinniger as in vergelyking met ons bakkies wat binnelands is dit is soos pieter sê die water het nie erens heen om te gaan nie ,,,voordat ek die roofrack op my bakkie se rails verander het het ek ook gesien daar is roes plekkies en het dadelik geskrik en gedink die bakkie was geherstel gewees,,,net soos pieter gemaak rust primer opgesit en die rubbers teruggesit met die kante oop gelos dat die water kan uitvloei,,,,so ek het nou nie meer die bakkie nie hy is Namibie toe en daar is dit nog warmer :thumbup:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Ek hou dop. Gelukkig bly ek nie by die see nie.
My bakkie was van 1999 - 2007 'n Gauteng bakkie.

Die res van die bakkie het feitlik geen roes, so hier en daar 'n kolletjie wat vorm waar verf gechip is, verder niks nie.
Ek het dus nie eers gedink my bakkie het 'n roes probleem nie.

Toe ek die goed oopmaak was die stof onder die rubbers nog papnat, maar ek het 2 dae voor dit die bakkie gewas en my bakkie staan altyd in 'n garage.

Ek dink dit is dus raadsaam om die bakkie vir 'n dag in die son te laat staan nadat mens dit gewas het en nie sommer dadelik in die garage in te trek nie.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Pieter, I wouldn't trust the promise on the can entirely - it all depends on how well the surface has been prepared. I would mask off both sides of the channel to protect the exposed paint and get in there with something like a Dremel to get all the flaking and caked rust off, then treat with a rust converter before painting with Hammerite or even a black bituminous paint like "Bituprime" or "Ravenol". ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Cheetah Drakie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7i

Post by Cheetah Drakie »

:shock2: Bugger.... I never thought of checking that.... thanks for the heads up.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Ai. Nou maak jy werk vir my ook :thumbdown: Sal myne ook strip die naweek.Ek hoop jy kom help
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
grobbepj
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

Na my onderonsie by moegatle moes my dak oorgespray word (onder andere [UNAMUSED FACE])
Toe daai rubbers afkom was daar by myne ok roes en dis n2005 model wat net die see sien elke 3de jaar of so met vakansies....

Return to “The Workshop”