Hilux 3.0d4d clutch replacement

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 96' Hilux Raider 2.4 4x4 SC, 12' Mitsubishi PJS 3.2 4x4

Hilux 3.0d4d clutch replacement

Post by raider »

I complained to Toyota about my clutch at 39500km(warranty on clutch is till 40000km). They were at first hesitant to change it but I explained to them that the clutch is faulty as I have driven two 3.0 D4D's in the past and know how it should feel.

They removed the clutch and sent TSA pictures requesting the go ahead. Approval was given. But while I was in the workshop I saw a bulletin instructing dealers to change the clutch if a customer complains. There is a whole list of parts that need to be replaced.

So just a heads-up if you having clutch issues don't let dealers mess you around.
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: Hilux 3.0d4d clutch replacement

Post by raider »

Photo of bulletin removed.
Last edited by raider on Wed May 20, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

Hi Raider posting pics of Toyota service bulletins on an open forum can lead to the dismissal of staff and/or legal action against poster. So please be careful these bulletins are there to help Toyota staff to perform the repairs to the highest standards.
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by raider »

MCHILUX wrote:Hi Raider posting pics of Toyota service bulletins on an open forum can lead to the dismissal of staff and/or legal action against poster. So please be careful these bulletins are there to help Toyota staff to perform the repairs to the highest standards.
I'm not sure how it leads to dismissal of staff. My intention was to help those who have clutch issues and to prove that Toyota did have a batch of faulty clutches.

But to keep the peace I removed the picture.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Finally there is confirmation of my theory!
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Bester »

Mine was replaced on 45000km - now on 60000km and worse that before. Is the replacement clutch "better" or are there other options?
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
Riaan99
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredendal
Vehicle: Hilux 3l 4x4 dc

Post by Riaan99 »

..weet iemand dalk watter jaar model hier ter sprake is?
..die kalmste is om belangrik te bly...
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Bester »

Nie seker watter spesifieke jaarmodel, maar beide my 2009 en 2013 se clutch onder waarnorg vervang
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
raider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by raider »

According to people who pulled at the original clutch its stamped LUK. I thick Toyota SA decided to use LUK clutches on the production line.

Now according to someone who purchased a SACHS clutch it had AISIN stamped on it which leads me to believe SACHS is the OEM producer for Toyota. Another friend who purchased a SACHS cluch for his Toyota RSI 20V had EXEDY stamped on it who produce performance clutches.

My point being SACHS produce very good clutches and for some of the biggest names in the industry.

Not sure what Toyota installed now but let see how it holds up.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Not the 1st time Toyota do that. Some cases its a LUK sometimes its a Sachs. But the REAL OE make for Toyota will be Aisan.
Mars

Post by Mars »

I have now pulled two clutches from two D4Ds which were both the clutches the bakkies came out with and both were LUK units. I bought 2 Sachs kits from Goldwagen, both in sealed boxes and both the clutch and pressure plates were etched "Aisin".
Markdil
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux dc

Post by Markdil »

Hi, looking for some assistance, I have a 2007 hilux doc d4d 4x4 which at 99 000 had an issue where the clutch pedal went to the ground and when I took it in, they said it was something to do with one of the items around the clutch and recommended that while the gearbox was out, the clutch be done, which I did. Recently at 128 000 the clutch started slipping in 3rd and when I took it in, they stripped and found that the housing, clutch and what ever else is inside there was rusted. TSA and the dealer conclusion was that I had been in deep water/submersed and this is how the whole inside is rusted, thus they are not responsible. I am as far away from being a 4x4 pro as you get along with the fact that this is my second car which sits in my driveway and only is used when I MTB, coupled with the only water it has seen is rainy roads.

Anyone else actually looked inside the housing when they had clutch issues?
Mars

Post by Mars »

I think they are taking a chance or perhaps they damaged the rubber boot which is fitted to the clutch release fork, and keeps dust and moisture (most of it) out of the gearbox, when they replaced the clutch the first time.
Markdil
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Markdil »

Thanks Mars and agreed, is there any way of proving this?
Mars

Post by Mars »

Where is the bakkie now? Is it still at the dealers? Take some pictures of the inside of the bell housing etc to see if it is actually rusted. The rubber boot will be clearly visible and any tears or damage to it will be visible also.

Hope you come right?
Markdil
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Markdil »

thanks for this, have some pics, but cant really see, but then again, wouldn't know what im looking for!
Markdil
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Markdil »

anyone on the legal side which could assist me with this?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

MCHILUX wrote:Hi Raider posting pics of Toyota service bulletins on an open forum can lead to the dismissal of staff and/or legal action against poster. So please be careful these bulletins are there to help Toyota staff to perform the repairs to the highest standards.

Very strange post .... :naah: :o:

I have had a number of recalls over the years, on different brands.

Each time I was handed a print out of the recall.

Minor irritation to take the vehicle in and have some "fix" done to it. Not so minor when it is the brakes on my new Toyota, and I have to take it back days after it was there for a routine service, especially when they KNEW there was a recall, but just leave it until the client complains .... magtag man, mens speel mos nie met brieke nie !! :banned:

If I was to comment there IS a recall on certain Ford FIGO models for the replacement of rear suspension components ... would that make me liable, OR would that help owners understand why their rear tires are shot in 30 000km and that the replacement rear suspension is waiting for them at Ford .... but then again, Ford contacted the owner and asked the owner to bring the car in .... not a re-active approach after the client complains.

Nope, when I talk about recalls, it is NOT to bad-mouth a brand - as ALL brands suffer recalls at some time or another. It is purely so my friends can learn from my school fees. And so I do appreciate to hear from others, for the same reason.
Bugsy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kloof
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by Bugsy »

Refer to your post about the problems with your clutch and the Bulletin list you saw at the dealership stating the clutch to be a problem. Do you know what else was on the Bulletin?

I have a 2014 Hilux D/C 4x4 3.0 D4D which had to have the entire clutch replaced 2 days ago at 38 400 kms.
The dealership told me immediately that this problem was on the Toyota Bulletin and would be done at no cost to me.

I have had a few problems with the Traction control activating on a sharp bend if going around 100/120km but never had this problem with my previous Toyota Fortuner. Wondered if this was on the Bulletin?

Thanks
Bugsy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kloof
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by Bugsy »

Refer to your post about the problems with your clutch and the Bulletin list you saw at the dealership stating the clutch to be a problem. Do you know what else was on the Bulletin?

I have a 2014 Hilux D/C 4x4 3.0 D4D which had to have the entire clutch replaced 2 days ago at 38 400 kms.
The dealership told me immediately that this problem was on the Toyota Bulletin and would be done at no cost to me.

I have had a few problems with the Traction control activating on a sharp bend if going around 100/120km but never had this problem with my previous Toyota Fortuner. Wondered if this was on the Bulletin?

Thanks
Markdil
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Markdil »

HI Bugsy, hope you came right, not sure what a bulletin is, but on the bell housing that covers the clutch and pressure plate, there is a small breather at the bottom which Toyota recons should be there, i cant see how with being submersed in water? not that i have ever driven in water with the vehicle.

Return to “The Workshop”