Any clever guys out there!

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7 4x4

Any clever guys out there!

Post by Big Z »

Hi
I am getting a fault on diagnostics?
Hilux 2005 v6 4x4 ..decatted and chipped
Fault: P0606
Problem: ECM - Engine (electronic) control module

What is it,?? think its do with the emissions control?
Anybody had this problem and can i just replace the sensor ?

Thanks
Trevor
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Any clever guys out there!

Post by Thabogrobler »

Google?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Big Z »

ya..been googling for a few hours now.
I think the ecm and ecu are the same just different abbreviations.
Google doesn't know ECM only ECU...
want some first hand experience with this...
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Hi Big Z are you the penguin from Surf's up? :lol:

Seriously, have you tried downloading the workshop manuals from the clubs pages? these are the actual Toyota manuals and you should be able to find the error code description plus ways to rectify it there.

It is a lot of down loading but once you have saved to your pc all twelve or so sections then just open the Index 2 HTML and just go to the relevant section, just make sure you are looking at your engine type.

Good Luck
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0606

PCM / ECM Processor Fault What does that mean? This code is a fairly simple one. It basically means that the PCM/ECM (powertrain/engine control module) has detected an internal integrity fault in the PCM. When this code is activated it should store freeze-frame data that helps someone with an advanced code scanning tool to get information on exactly what was going on with the vehicle when the P0606 code was triggered. Symptoms Most likely the only symptom of a P0606 DTC code is the illumination of the "Check Engine Light" a.k.a. MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp). Causes In all likelyhood the PCM / ECM has failed. Possible Solutions As a vehicle owner there is little you can do to fix this code. The most common fix for a P0606 code is to replace the PCM, although in some cases re-flashing the PCM with updated software could possibly fix this. Be sure to check for TSB's on your vehicle (Technical Service Bulletins). In all likelyhood the fix is to replace the PCM. This is generally not a "do-it-yourself" task, although in some cases it may be. We strongly recommend you have a qualified repair shop / technician do the work, one that has the capability to reprogram the new PCM. Installing the new PCM may involve using special tools to program the vehicle's VIN (vehicle identification number) and/or anti-theft information (PATS, etc.).

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

Hope that helps...
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Big Z »

Perfect...thanks guys.
Thanks Quentin, I have the manual and the code but the P0606 just gave me a broad spectrum fault report. Maybe im reading it wrong. It is the 1GRFE engine.
Thanks Wayne - appreciate the in depth report. Looks like I am going to have to visit Toyota for this one...Maybe. Or maybe pull the chip out as it could be causing the problem.

thanks guys, will keep you updated.
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Big Z »

FYI...for the other guys with V6 4.0

Some 2005 – 2007 model year Tacoma vehicles equipped with a 1GR–FE engine may
exhibit an intermittent “no start” condition. Improvements have been made to the Engine
Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration to reduce
the possibility of this condition occurring. Please use the following procedure to update
the calibration.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

If you have to go to the dealers - Toyota Kuilsrivier is certainly one of the better ones out there.

have you spoken to Francois at 4xLux ?
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Big Z »

thanks, Haven't chatted to Frankie yet, will give him a shout tomorrow.
But probably something to do with the mini cats and O2 sensors.
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

Had a couple of them already and almost all the time it was the unichip that was the problem. Go to the installer and ask them to check the chip out
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Big Z »

Thanks Jan..will do.
Not sure who chipped it as i bought the car chipped and the previous owner didn't even know it was chipped :)
Want to put it on the dyno to see what the KW are anyway and see if the chip is even worth having as I was told the chipped v6 don't gain much power only 5-6kw so if thats all i probably remove it to save any problems later. Engine light is off now but the mac said its probably one of three sensors which is odd as i was hoping the code with tell me exactly what sensor but according to them the one code is a diagnostic for 3 sensors, o2 and two others i can't quiet recall.

But I have also heard the same thing with regards to chips they seem to mess with the ECU and screw up the signals
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

For the chip - speak to the guys at Dynotech in Brackenfell - http://www.dynotech.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LeonSp
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2007 V6 4x4

Post by LeonSp »

Big Z, how was your problem eventually resolved?

Having a similar problem on my 2007 V6 (un-chipped). P0606 error comes up intermittently for the past few years ever since cats were removed and petrol pump replaced. Does not seem to impact the performance of the car and clears again by itself. Really like to have I sorted out but only advice Toyota can give is to have the ECU replaced. Will leave that as last resort as I am not convinced that it is the ECU.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Can't you just flash the ECU with the latest firmware?
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Big Z »

HI Guys...still not resolved...it went away for ages and now the last few days the engine light is back with codeP0606 again but is coming on more frequent. Took it to toyota to check that i was getting the same code and they too got the P0606. I am still convinced its the O2 sensor which is either faulty or getting faulty readings. Cab still runs well, no limp mode or loss of power- as far as I can tell- lots of info out there as it is listed as a faulty ECU but so many ppl replaced the ECU and still the fault code popped up and it was in fact another much simpler issue..so don't just replace the ECU do some testing with O2 sensors
Ranger
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 manual

Post by Ranger »

After I removed the cats and installed branches and exhaust on my 2006 4.0 V6, I also have the engine light that comes on when I drive long distance on the highway.Shorter distances on the highway and in town it never comes on.
It resets after the ignition was off.Have not checked the actual fault code.
I am sure it is one of the four sensors in the exhaust pipes that might be faulty.
I also had a Unichip installed after I did the exhaust-the light came on before the chip was installed.
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

Totally different vehicle I know but a commodore I owned years ago had exactly the same issue. Exhaust sensor, jam some new ones in.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Obelix and Dogmatix
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

:irate: Did toyota not tell you which sensor? And be carefull when you order the sensor as the front and back ones are different. Cost me R1600 to find that out :frustrated:
if it is the front one (sensor 1) then tell toyota that it is the air/fuel sensor and if it is the rear one then it is the o2 sensor.

Must say thou that those are not the codes that i got regarding the o2 sensors.
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Obelix and Dogmatix

Just another thought unplug one of the o2 - air/fuel sensors and then run a diagnostic again and see if a new code appears, you might have to do all four one at a time to see if all the sensors are okay. if you get new fault codes then you will know that your sensors are okay. to clear the faults from the ECU unit you need to disconnect the negative from the battery for at least 90 seconds.

Goodluck
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Big Z »

Hey Obelix..no Toyota only gave me the code, I was with the tech we he plugged it in, I just wanted to see if my OB2 was working and my program was same as Toyota...they can "try" find the problem and give you a rough idea of what needs to be fixed but that cost R900 for the quote and analysis granted ts there time and effort. My concern is that the P0606 is stated as the ECU is faulty and needs replacing..but lots of hours of research says that this is a highly common code spat out for a a few other problems like O2 sensors...
Woodyzn
Town: Pietermaritzburg
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Woodyzn »

Big Z

Just a thought, if you have removed the catalyst converter the ecu wont like it and will play tricks. Those O2 sensors that were reading from the cats have been changed and "faulty" readings can cause those issues. I had an old X5 V8 and removed cats and had endless hassles with faulty readings etc. Engine management light then this code then that code but vehicle drove fine. Put the cats back and check if the problem persists or ask Toyota to advise on that...My 2c worth...

Return to “The Workshop”