Surf Radiator Replacement

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Surf Radiator Replacement

Post by Firstoneman »

Hello:
I've got a leak in top end of my Surf's radiator. On further inspection looks like there was an accident…so was lied to by seller. Anyway…I'm not crying still feel it was reasonable deal. But, I now believe I should replace the radiator and a/c cooling units. Don't want the wife stranded or suffering in the Moz heat…35C tomorrow. Now, being we are marching toward high summer I'd like to take care of it asap.
So…wonder what my options are? It's a 3RZ engine. Is there an aftermarket solution that is superior to OEM?
Thanks much!
May You Thrive!!

David
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Surf Radiator Replacement

Post by pietpetoors »

The engine bay looks very simular to the SOuth African IFS Hilux.
Maybe try the 1999-2005 model IFS 2.7 Hilux, the 3RZ.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Post/ send me your vin number, I will take a look see if there were any similarities with other hilux models.
Image Link Broken
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

What about this one

1640075260RL RADIATOR HILUX 3RZ 2.7 (98-05) 1 X R 990.00

from this post!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37282#p443934
Image Link Broken
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Is your Surf an automatic or manual.
From the pic you posted in the battery thread it seems like it is auto.

I measured the radiator of my 2.7 Hilux yesterday and it is about 1 cm wider than that of the Surf and vertically the 2.7 Hilux's holes for the bolts are further apart, but there is enough space to make it fit.

If your Surf is auto then it might not work.
Not sure if it is standard on all Surfs, but our Surf's radiator has an oil cooler for the gearbox oil. Two think pipes run in and out of the radiator and runs to the gear box.

Just check the bottom tank of you radiator to see if it also have those two thin pipes.

Our Surf has Lexus V8 with Lexus Auto box, so I am not sure if it is the standard radiator that is in it.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

KZ Radiator just a little bit wider than the Surf's.
Here you can see where the original radiator holes sit compared to the Surf's. I used the existing holes in the Surf and drilled new holes in the radiator housing.
KZ Radiator
KZ Radiator
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Post by Firstoneman »

It's been two years since I posted to this topic. I let it fall through the cracks. Never thanked anyone for being kind enough to direct me to options. Please forgive me for that callousness. AND, I never followed up with the solution I chose.

I ended up having a guy here in Maputo build me a new radiator from scratch using a copper dual-core (which he sourced from Durban). He also built a new, all metal housing. It has done a a marvelous job and I got away from the plastic bits which separate from the metal housing - none of the crazy glue up leak problems. I did not replace the a/c cooling unit, because it was not leaking, though some of the fins are beat up pretty badly.

I am VERY pleased with the results. That said, the dual-core copper is overkill and pretty certain I'd be content with a single core. I'm not sure what conditions would make this overheat now.

Once again, thank you everyone who weighed in two years ago...if I was in a different locale with easier access to a volume of decent second-hand options, I would most likely have searched the options mentioned. At the beginning of owning this Surf, I learned quickly that I was very spoiled by the solid and reliable OME and second-hand parts supply chain I had back in the US. It's much more difficult to source parts here in Mozambique - and do it with any semblance of speed. My patience has been tested that's for sure.

Thanks again.
Cheers!
May You Thrive!!

David

Return to “The Workshop”