4.0 V6 Auto shudder

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Jurgen10
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC239

4.0 V6 Auto shudder

Post by Jurgen10 »

I recently obtained a 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6 Auto Raider 4x4, and so far I'm still smiling every time I hear that V6, but...there seems to be a gremlin of sorts in the drive train.

It feels like a shudder , or more like the gearbox is engaging in and out of 1st with a once-off thud, but it is only noticeable once all fluids have reached operating temperatures and only when pulling away from a standstill or when coming to a standstill or complete stop and I'm not hearing any strange noises and vibrations.

There is no noticeable shudder/thud when changing through the gears when driving.

So far browsing the internet has come up with a list of possible causes, some are : Worn U-Joints on the prop shaft, Worn out Centre bearing, Auto Box / Wrong ATF or insufficient ATF, Worn or broken engine or gearbox mounts....

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Any other suggestions?
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Re: 4.0 V6 Auto shudder

Post by Dirka »

Jurgen10 wrote:I recently obtained a 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6 Auto Raider 4x4, and so far I'm still smiling every time I hear that V6, but...there seems to be a gremlin of sorts in the drive train.

It feels like a shudder , or more like the gearbox is engaging in and out of 1st with a once-off thud, but it is only noticeable once all fluids have reached operating temperatures and only when pulling away from a standstill or when coming to a standstill or complete stop and I'm not hearing any strange noises and vibrations.

There is no noticeable shudder/thud when changing through the gears when driving.

So far browsing the internet has come up with a list of possible causes, some are : Worn U-Joints on the prop shaft, Worn out Centre bearing, Auto Box / Wrong ATF or insufficient ATF, Worn or broken engine or gearbox mounts....

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Any other suggestions?
Hi Jurgen. Wel..daar's al die moontlike oorsake. Gaan deur hulle, een vir een.
Meer as 100K op die odo? Vervang hulle ongeag. Om so te ry veroorsaak net nog meer skade.
Dis ook nie so vrek duur nie...dan weet jy hy's reg vir nog 'n 100K Km.
Merk die universals met 'n vyl of kraspen..om seker te maak dit word wel vervang.
Vervang met die genuine Toyota C/bearing.
Kyk mooi na die rubber mounts. Dis somtyds moeilik om die skeure en krake te sien.
Geen speling op die diff nie.
Laat doen 'n ATF flush op die auto box. By 'n goeie plek wat die regte masjiene het
om 'n 'complete' flush te doen. Vervang ook sommer die ATF filter.
Bly by die Toy WS ATF! :thumbup:
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: HILLCREST
Vehicle: 12 4.0 V6 4x4.

Post by ROOKIE »

Hi Jurgen.

I have the same issue with my 09 v6. It seems to be a common problem on the v6, affecting the FJ as well as the Prado and discussed pretty widely on various forums. I attach a TSB relating to the problem referring to the FJ When I got my v6, Toyota replaced my prop shaft and it was fine for about 10k km, then the problem came back and they were resistant to replacing it again.

People on the Aus forums report that they are solving the problem by lubing the propshaft themselves.

While irritating, it doesn't seem to be causing any harm to my vehicle.
Attachments
Toyota Thunk.pdf
(121.44 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.
Jurgen10
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Jurgen10 »

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback.

I crawled under the car last night and could not find any play on the U-Joints or centre bearing.

This morning I could also not feel the "thunk" as I did yesterday, so it seems to come and go.
I'm still in the first 1000km 30 day warrantee period offered by the dealer, so I'll pay them a visit and see if they can find anything, but I certainly want to do a ATF flush with the Toyota ATF as required.

The lux has 171 000 odd kilometres on the clock, and although it has been serviced by a Toyota dealer at 170 000km no one can tell for sure what has been done and what not.

I always change all oils asap, at least then you know it has been done. :)
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

That thunk i have found in brand new vehicles.
Drive forward, stop
Put it in reverse and accelerate hard. :shock2:
Image Link Broken
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Dirka »

Aah..the Toy T-SB-0046-12 bulletin.
I've seen this before. Interesting one indeed.
I always wondered what is diamond /graphite on the upgraded 37110-35B00 propshaft?
I just went and bought a good 500 cc grease gun and just do the lube on the suspension and props and all
other stuff myself regularly. That is mos not something Toy does for a R4K service.
No way..for that u just get an oil drain and an oil filter and a stamp in the book. :(
..en dan moet jy nog self nog die bakkie by die huis gaan was ook.. :blink:
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
” ― J. Kintz
Jurgen10
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Jurgen10 »

Ja-nee, As jy goed ge-grease wil hê moet mens dit spesifiseer, of maar self doen.

Deesdae is daar maar min regte mechanics oor in die bedryf, almal is mos nou tegnikuste en prop net laptops in en druk knoppies... :)

Gelukkig gee ek nie om om my hande vuil te maak nie, sal bietjie daai grease-gun gryp en laat waai.

Dankie
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

Post by Mornes »

I have your solution - guaranteed. I had this problem for many years and it irretated me so badly that i was willing to sell the car. Toyota got so fed up with me that they ended up replacing the auto box with no improvement. After reading up on it on a cruiser forum I found that all say its the spline slide coupling just behind the center bearing that needs to be greased with moly grease. Doesnt make sense at all but i did it. There is no grease nipple so you have to split the two parts to get the grease in. Did it myself and the problem is gone 100% it used to feel like backlash when stopping or pulling off. No nothing wrong.
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Dirka »

Great tip! Thanx Morne. :thumbup:
I have not removed the prop on mine yet, but will be doing so when I reseal the chassis.
” ― J. Kintz
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

Post by Mornes »

Let us know how it goes..
Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
leonlotter
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Burgersfort
Vehicle: None

Post by leonlotter »

I have the exact same problem on my 2007 v6 190 000km on the clock and i'ts my only problem on the bakkie. So the thud will be gone when I grease the splines?
2018 Toyota hilux double cab 2.8GD-6 auto 4x4
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Dirka wrote:Aah..the Toy T-SB-0046-12 bulletin.
I've seen this before. Interesting one indeed.
I always wondered what is diamond /graphite on the upgraded 37110-35B00 propshaft?
I just went and bought a good 500 cc grease gun and just do the lube on the suspension and props and all
other stuff myself regularly. That is mos not something Toy does for a R4K service.
No way..for that u just get an oil drain and an oil filter and a stamp in the book. :(
..en dan moet jy nog self nog die bakkie by die huis gaan was ook.. :blink:
lekker lag ek nou .... :mocking:

WETTERS !!! :banned: :thumbdown:

klink of jou wa ook deur my plaaslike Toy handelaar gediens is .....

as die wa reeds op n lift is, dan vat dit letterlik n paar sekondes per punt om dit te grease. GEEN verskoning vir hul patetiese diens vlakke nie. Toe ek na die 40 000km diens self onder die wa inklim en als deurgaan sien ek daar was nog nooit n grease gun naby my voertuig nie ....
Gemsbok
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 AT
Club VHF Licence: HC186

Post by Gemsbok »

So 18 maande gelede het my bakkie se ratkas (outo) begin "gly". Die handelaar het die ratkas geflash en 'n nuwe filter ingesit. Van toe af het die ratkas 'n shudder as ek wegtrek. Nie baie erg nie maar genoeg om my te irriteer. As ek vinnig vet gee hoor ek ook 'n geluid soos plate wat op mekaar skuur en dan is dit weg. Ek het die bakkie toe na "ratkasspesialiste" toe gevat (dit was ongelukkig op die eerste werksdag na Nuwejaar). Hulle hoor en voel nie wat ek hoor en voel nie. Was vandag na die handelaars toe vir die 190000km diens. Nou my probleem by die handelaars is dit: Jou voertuig word ingeneem deur 'n persoon wat nie 'n werktuigkundige is nie. (Party van hulle is nogal mooi.) Mens kan nie aan so persoon beskryf wat se geraas waar is of nie is nie. Die ander probleem hiermee is dat die persoon dra dit oor op papier vir iemand wat aan jou kar moet werk en dit is gewoonlik hier waar die pap vir 'n tweede keer op die vloer val. Mens het net nie meer kontak met 'n werktuigkundige wat saam met jou kan gaan ry om te luister nie. Die mense by die handelaar is regtig vriendelik, maar ek wil met die ou praat wat aan my voertuig gaan werk. Hulle cuppuccino's is ook baie lekker......... Weet julle nie van iemand in Pretoria aan 'n Toyota kan werk nie asseblief?
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Dirka »

Gemsbok wrote:So 18 maande gelede het my bakkie se ratkas (outo) begin "gly". Diehandelaar het die ratkas geflash en 'n nuwe filter ingesit. Van toe af het die ratkas 'n shudder as ek wegtrek. Nie baie erg nie maar genoeg om my te irriteer. As ek vinnig vet gee hoor ek ook 'n geluid soos plate wat op mekaar skuur en dan is dit weg. Ek het die bakkie toe na "ratkasspesialiste" toe gevat (dit was ongelukkig op die eerste werksdag na Nuwejaar). Hulle hoor en voel nie wat ek hoor en voel nie. Was vandag na die handelaars toe vir die 190000km diens. Nou my probleem by die handelaars is dit: Jou voertuig word ingeneem deur 'n persoon wat nie 'n werktuigkundige is nie. (Party van hulle is nogal mooi.) Mens kan nie aan so persoon beskryf wat se geraas waar is of nie is nie. Die ander probleem hiermee is dat die persoon dra dit oor op papier vir iemand wat aan jou kar moet werk en dit is gewoonlik hier waar die pap vir 'n tweede keer op die vloer val. Mens het net nie meer kontak met 'n werktuigkundige wat saam met jou kan gaan ry om te luister nie. Die mense by die handelaar is regtig vriendelik, maar ek wil met die ou praat wat aan my voertuig gaan werk. Hulle cuppuccino's is ook baie lekker......... Weet julle nie van iemand in Pretoria aan 'n Toyota kan werk nie asseblief?
Die handelaar??
Die selle handelaar wat my bakkie gediens het Lappies?
Die 'new part fitters'
Die selle handelaar wat nie eens hulle se eie se duif st.... strepe van my bakkie kon
afwas nie?
..en toe ek die bakkie gaan haal en ek sit die ignition aan..
toe bler die hele pretoria op die beat van radio Gugulethu.
Daai selle handelaars?
Ek het net daar 'n enema op die sitplek gehad.
Nee wat my vriend..mooi of te not..met 'n cuppuccino of daarsonder...praat met die regte mense.
Hierso:
http://www.autobox.co.za/contact.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gesels met Raymond. Hulle is Toy accrdt.
Klink vir my baie na 'n probleem met die TC bands
..of die verkeerde ATF levels. (Soos gedoen deur die purgasie brigade)
” ― J. Kintz
Gemsbok
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 AT
Club VHF Licence: HC186

Post by Gemsbok »

Dankie Dirk. Ek gaan 'n draai by hulle maak.

Return to “The Workshop”