IFS Lower Control Arm Bushes

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
CrzyEng
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: KZTE

IFS Lower Control Arm Bushes

Post by CrzyEng »

Hi Guys

This is just a query regarding the replacement of the Lower Control Arm bushes on IFS Hilux.

I spent most of Saturday replacing the ball joints and lower control arm bushes on my 2002 Hilux KZTE. Much better ride and was worth the exercise.

What I just want to know is can the back bushes be replaced as well as the front ones?

When I bought the parts at Toyota I was told that the front bush can be replaced, but the back bush is integral to the control arm. This was also confirmed by the mechanic I was going to use to push the bushes out for me.

However when I had the control arms out I noticed that the front and rear bushes are pretty much identical and seem to be mounted in the same way. This has now got me wondering if it would not be possible to actually change them out as well instead of getting a new control arm.

I managed to push the old front bushes out and get them in by myself without having to take them to a garage to get it done.

Has anyone changed out the rear bushes at any stage and how much more difficult was it than getting the front bushes out.

Thanks
Don
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Re: IFS Lower Control Arm Bushes

Post by JohanW »

Hi Don

I posted these on the other forum for you not too long ago. Front and back are the same. Push them out and push in the new ones. I did both without any hassles.
http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=219756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrzyEng
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: KZTE

Re: IFS Lower Control Arm Bushes

Post by CrzyEng »

Thanks Johann

I totally forgot about my previous post. I'll see how long these last for and will replace the back ones when necessary.

Return to “The Workshop”