Vigo Handbrake

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Cinco
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Marloth Park
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Club VHF Licence: HC243

Vigo Handbrake

Post by Cinco »

Is it just me but I think the Hilux handbrake is dismal!
Every time I send the bakkie in for a service and even in between I always have to ask to have the handbrake adjusted. Within a few weeks of the service the handbrake is pointing up at the roof of the bakkie again.

Going on a trail or an overland trip means that in a very short space of time I have a very weak handbrake if anything at all. (Handbrake lever is pointing at the roof and does not hold the bakkie in position ).This is when you really need a strong and reliable handbrake. Instead I usually end up having to pack rocks behind wheels so that I can perform a maneuver to get me up or out safely. :naah:

Is it safe to just wind up the turn buckle under the handbrake lever as a short term measure? I have done this before but am concerned that I may cause the brakes to bind.

Is there a technical bulletin out there on how to adjust the handbrake properly?
Wishing my life away till the next trip!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Vigo Handbrake

Post by ChrisF »

Ian YES the handbrake is certainly not the best in the world.

My bakkie actually started running backward once !!!! With me in the back .... bystander jumped in and stopped it. I use the handbrake, but now leave it in gear when parking.

Then something to think about - load sensor - this little device is supposed to measure the drop at the back as you load the vehicle, thereby adjusting the brake balance front to rear. Then we add a stiffer suspension, and this little sensor thinks we are running a light load and shifts the braking to the front to prevent the "light rear wheels" from locking up ..... very few of the installers actually adjust this bracket. I DONT know for a fact if this impacts on the handbrake opperation .....
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

You are not alone! My vigo did this and now my fortuner too. It is very frustrating when you want to park on an slight incline or decline
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I regularly adjust the turnbuckle to up to ensure that the handbrake stays tight, without any issues. Just remember to release the turnbuckle again when the brake shoes need replacing.
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

yes have the same problem with my handbrake. have to get it re adjusted on every service. got used to leave it in gear now when I park. i'm not sure what or where they adjust it on the service.
Bilall
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Legend 45 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by Bilall »

Hi Gents.....My Vigo went in for its 1st service today and guess what hand brakes needed adjustment....for now just 3 clicks, dont think its going to remain like that.
Where the road ends, the fun begins :celebrate:
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil
Club VHF Licence: X225

Post by stumps »

Put your Vigo in reverse and slowly go back while pumping your handbrake up and down. Rumours have it that helps with auto setting

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
2008 Hilux 4.0L 4x4 (Mufasa)
Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil suspesion, Long Range tank, Kilber snorkel

1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

http://www.sandriver.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.travelconsortium.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stephan_V
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 07 Hilux D4D

Post by Stephan_V »

Chris, quick question.. the load sensor you mention do you know if this get impacted by extensed shakels as well..

On the original question, a quick tutorial on adjusting it at home would be great
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stephan the load sensor works on the height of the vehicle, thus any suspension changes that makes it stand taller with a load is fooling this sensor .....

I dont have a photo handy of this sensor ....

It is behind and above the rear diff.

Hopefully HOPPY can help us to better understand this sensor and how to adjust it for the loads we carry, with the raised suspensions ....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/brakes/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

And here is a new spin on the handbrake saga

Same symptoms as mentioned ie set and in no time flat the hand brake points to the roof, here is the catch i have every so often my handbrake engages like it should a couple of clicks above horizontal. almost as if the load sensor works intermittently. any ideas?
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Cinco
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Marloth Park
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Club VHF Licence: HC243

Post by Cinco »

Obelix and Dogmatix wrote:And here is a new spin on the handbrake saga

Same symptoms as mentioned ie set and in no time flat the hand brake points to the roof, here is the catch i have every so often my handbrake engages like it should a couple of clicks above horizontal. almost as if the load sensor works intermittently. any ideas?
I have the same but this would not be the load sensing valve. The load sensing valve does not influence the handbrake but proportions the brake force when applying the foot brake, dependent on the load.
Wishing my life away till the next trip!
Mars

Post by Mars »

I must say I have never experienced a situation where the handbrake is high one day and low the next. I have noticed over the past 275 000 ks and 10 years driving the bakkie that the handbrake tends to become less efficient over time requiring some adjustment on the turnbuckle. This happens as the lining on the brake shoes wear down. Even when the brake shoes are worn to their limit there is enough play on the turnbuckle to adjust the handbrake to a point where it is working well. I have replaced the brake shoes on two occasions over 275000 ks and the linkages actuating the handbrake aren't rusted or stuck.

The lux has adjusters inside the brake drums which are supposed to keep the handbrake sufficiently tight by adjusting the linkages every time you pull up the handbrake and there is sufficient play, but they do not seem to work that well. This is not only true for the Hilux as I find a similar thing on the Isuzu KB. It can do no harm simply adjusting the turnbuckle up a little every so often. It is easily accessible and all you need is a 10mm spanner. I will do it this weekend and take some pics.
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

My handbrake becomes so bad after 2000km of the service I am not even able to do a handbrake turn on gravel (without load)! I can simply also just drive off and only the dash light warns me that the hanbrake is still engaged. I know it is two very different systems but would have loved to have the Corrolla's handbrake capability on the Tuna.
Stephan_V
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 07 Hilux D4D

Post by Stephan_V »

Thanks Chris, :thumbup:
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

My cable often unclips itself from the pulley at the back
Mars

Post by Mars »

As valuable as the article is that Chris posted this is actually a handbrake issue and not a load proportioning valve issue. All Vigo and Fortuners seem to have a design where the hanbrake seems to become less firm rather quickly after adjusting. Like Cinco said this does not involve the load proportioning valve. Even if you raise your suspension the relative pulling length of the handbrake cables do not change. I simply think that the length of pull on the handbrake lever (i.e. the radius around which the cable pulls) relative to the links (handbrake actuation lever inside the brake drum) is such that a little wear on the brake lining translates into a lot of extra movement required to actuate the handbrake. Like I said in an earlier post there are adjusters which are supposed to compensate for this wear but they do not seem to work all that well. It is therefore a simple matter of adjusting the turnbuckle when you feel that the handbrake is not quite firm enough.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Mars wrote:As valuable as the article is that Chris posted this is actually a handbrake issue and not a load proportioning valve issue. All Vigo and Fortuners seem to have a design where the hanbrake seems to become less firm rather quickly after adjusting. Like Cinco said this does not involve the load proportioning valve. Even if you raise your suspension the relative pulling length of the handbrake cables do not change. I simply think that the length of pull on the handbrake lever (i.e. the radius around which the cable pulls) relative to the links (handbrake actuation lever inside the brake drum) is such that a little wear on the brake lining translates into a lot of extra movement required to actuate the handbrake. Like I said in an earlier post there are adjusters which are supposed to compensate for this wear but they do not seem to work all that well. It is therefore a simple matter of adjusting the turnbuckle when you feel that the handbrake is not quite firm enough.
but most vehicles do have auto adjusters on the rear drums for this reason - as the brakes wear out the unit is supposed to self adjust to take up this wear.

the members that are having a particularly bad experience with the handbrake may want to check the auto-adjusters.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Agreed

Return to “The Workshop”