Oil Leak

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Oil Leak

Post by SuidWes »

Need some advice. I've noticed my Hilux acting a bit like a LR the last couple of weeks :( Everyday one or two drops of oil on the garage floor and it is coming from the engine and dripping from the bell housing. I've checked and it does not seem to be coming from the oil pan and I also checked the back of the motor which is dry so I suppose it can only be the rear main seal...? :|

Questions:

1. How long can I drive it like this as I would like to replace the clutch when I replace the seal but I've got a 1200km trip coming up and don't have the money at the moment to do both the trip and the clutch :|

2. Does anybody know of a temporary fix maybe? Apparently there's an oil additive on the market that softens rubber seals. :?

I could just replace the seal and do the clutch at a later stage but it's a lot work just to replace a seal....
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Oil Leak

Post by Scooter »

SuidWes, are you sure it is engine oil? Give it a smell just to check. It could also be gearbox oil leaking. :(
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi SuidWes

I have a similar problem at the moment and like you I will do the clutch at the same time and like you money is also a problem I dont think you are going to have to much problem as long as it is not excessive and it is indeed engine oil and that you keep a eye on the level :)
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Thanks

Yip, sure it is engine oil.

The trip will invlove some sand driving and the area is a bit remote, Hondeklipbaai to Skaapvlei.... I just hope the clutch doesn't get any oil on it :|
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I know this post will probably get lot of flack but here goes anyway.
Have you thought about adding that Prolong stuff. I have used it in a golf gearbox but I can't really tell you if it made a difference.
It's just that they say in the event of you having no oil it will still run, you've seen the ads I'm sure.
It might be worth adding to your engine and gearbox before you go i.e if you dont fix the seal.

As for oil getting on the clutch, that could happen but generally it wont.
I heard a story years ago of a guy who had a clutch slip due to oil, he poured a can of coke (yes you heard me, COCA COLA) on it and the sugar created a sticky suface which allowed him to get the vehicle to a garage. True or not, who knows but it keep a can at reach in case. :lol:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Thanks Scooter,

I have heard about Prolong but I'm not a big fan. Have you heard of Stop Leak from Wynns? Apparently this will soften the seal and possibly fix the problem.... :?

Helped a friend in the pits at Killarney for about two years and the coke thing really works. One of the guys had a problem with a slipping clutch in the first race and a can of coke allowed him to complete the second race :)
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Can't say I've ever tried Wynns, never needed to but I have read a few reports that say it will stop the leak. I would have my vehicle steam cleaned and then add the "stop leak" and see what happens. It's definately the cheapest and quickest option and then at clutch change, change the seal..

Let us know what happens! :D
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Suidwes if it is a normal wearing rear oil seal you should be able to run it for another couple of thousand kilometers. Normally that is not something that just goes all of the sudden. It can take months before it becomes a problem. One of the previous vehicles I owned I used like that for 8 months before the clutch went and I was forced to fix it.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

As for oil getting on the clutch, that could happen but generally it wont.
I heard a story years ago of a guy who had a clutch slip due to oil, he poured a can of coke (yes you heard me, COCA COLA) on it and the sugar created a sticky surface which allowed him to get the vehicle to a garage. True or not, who knows but it keep a can at reach in case. :lol:
Well, we all know that "Things go better with Coke!" :P

I agree with Piet, those oil leaks are relatively minor and I doubt you will have any problems during the trip. But carry a spare can (of oil as well as Coke ) for the trip.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

What bothers me about products like the Stop Leak thingy. If that softens the seal what else in the engine will it soften or change the physical properties of? Those stuff do not just go to the default part, it also goes to the other parts. I would rather wait until I can fix the seal and then fix the seal. Otherwise you might end up changing the physical properties of other parts which might not like to be changed.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Scooter wrote:I know this post will probably get lot of flack but here goes anyway.
Have you seen this?

http://scams.orator.co.nz/
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Thanks everyone, will take a can of coke and oil along. 8)
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Yip, had a look this morning. Thanks again to F_D for the link.
It was a very interesting read and I definately wont be adding anything to my lux.
My golf was old and tired and as I only used the stuff once I reckon it didnt do any harm.

We live and learn.

Return to “The Workshop”