Headlight Help Needed :)

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Hayden2868
Town: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota Hilux 4x4

Headlight Help Needed :)

Post by Hayden2868 »

Hey guys, so i bought some replacement bulbs this afternoon thinking i would be able to just plug them in to the back of the light as was the case in my other cars, but on the hilux it seems the bulb is fixed into the housing?, i haven't pulled the whole light out yet to have a look but im just wondering to i need to replace the whole thing? or is there a way to convert this one to take a replacement bulb?Because i was hoping to upgrade to something brighter.
Cheers Hayden
1995 single cab 4 cyl petrol 4x4
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Re: Headlight Help Needed :)

Post by jacques kotze »

If I remember correctly, you basically just pull the plug out at the back, and then there should be a black round rubber you will have to pull off, then I think there should be a metal clip that you have to depress and then you pull it open, think it has a hinge effect on the side of the clip.

Then your globe should be able to come out.
Hayden2868

Post by Hayden2868 »

that is what i was expecting to find but this is what im looking at.
Attachments
headlight.jpg
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Seems you have a sealed beam - didn't know they still made those. You might have to try the after-market spares shops, but be wary of some of the Chinese stuff, some of it is good, some of it is of dubious quality.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, sealed beam .... you can still get them. I just wonder why that has been fitted and if it was done ex-factory or after market. The H4 fitting allows for a number of different bulb technologies to be used.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hayden2868

Post by Hayden2868 »

Ahaa, i thought it looks abit retro haha i found these though so i think ill have to replace them.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-HILUX ... 35be359d2c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks for the help guys
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Careful with those, I seem to recall some guys here fitted those and were not overly impressed with them. Perhaps if anybody here still has these, they can chime in, I might be wrong.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Clear lenses are prohibited in some countries because the beam pattern is uncontrolled and can affect oncoming traffic (too bright on dip), so check on that.

The ones you show there have that beam pattern 'controlled' in the reflector as opposed to the lens, but remember that 90% of a lamp's effectiveness lies in the reflector - i.e. it's reflective quality and beam focus. There might well be a reason why the major manufacturers choose to have the beam pattern in the lens rather than the reflector - could be that you loose more light through dispersal on high-beam with it in the reflector. :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hayden2868

Post by Hayden2868 »

so what is the best option would i be better to ask a wreckers if they have something that will fit or is there a better aftermarket option? Normally i wouldn't be too fussed on headlight brightness but these things are like glow worms in a jar.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I replaced mine with clear lenses and the light is better than the original lights. You get good quality and poor quality clear lens units. Seen some that is really crappy and some that is good. Mine is in my bakkie for about 5 years now and I am happy with them.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hayden, give those a try if they're legal over there - or otherwise just go along to any of your local automotive spares outlets and get a standard set of H4 lamp units. :winkx:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

question from the peanut gallery - is it an option to replace the "light unit" with a non-sealed unit ?

Get the pain out the way once, and the next bulb replacement is just that - just a bulb.
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

hella does a replacement and they seem to last and you can choose your own replacement bulbs.
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

I replaced my old ones with clear "Autopa" units about 5 or 6 years ago.
They are still sparkling clean and corrosion free as the day I got them.
You'll see that there's a shrowd over the globe so there's no worries about legalities Mr Brandstetter.
Most new vehicles are going this route and there's little doubt that they are more effective than a textured lens.
I put a HID Kit in a while back, the lights are now super bright.

Rich :cooldude:
Attachments
H4 headlamp.jpg
Last edited by Dadz Toy on Thu May 26, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich :cooldude:
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

I bought a Hella set years ago from Midas. They where not to expensive...
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

My Chev also had sealed beams and I had to replace them with "semi sealed beams" because that is all that is available. Like Chris said, makes it much easier and cheaper next time it blows, you then only replace the globe. When you look for semi sealed beams, check out for one with a park globe in the head lights. I know some guys wire this extra park light globe to be always on when ignition is on, it then works like a DRL
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “The Workshop”