Air Con - Works for 5min then off?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
tecsol
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: 2007 Prado 120 V6

Air Con - Works for 5min then off?

Post by tecsol »

The AC in 06 Hilux 4.0 V6 cools for 5min then blows normal air. The light on the switch stays green the whole time.

The only way to get AC working again is to switch off AC button, wait another few minutes, then switch on again. It will work for 5 min more before I have to repeat.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Air Con - Works for 5min then off?

Post by Mars »

It could be a number of problems. Sometimes surprising ones such as if airflow through the heat exchanger is too low it freezes up causing the system to lose efficiency. First thing is to check that the airflow in the system is open and clean. i.e. leaves blocking the inlet etc. My 2006 does not have a pollen filter but if yours has I would check that too to make sure that it is not clogged. Has the aircon ever been serviced? It may be time to replace the dryer bottle (it also acts as a filter in the closed loop aircon system.)

One can also check if the clutch on the aircon pump does not perhaps disengage which could point to a relay that is on it's way out.

An aircon place should be able to troubleshoot it very quickly if you do not come right.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Air Con - Works for 5min then off?

Post by ChrisF »

first guess - slight gas leak.

just enough gas pressure to start up. But as soon as it starts to work the pressure drops that little bit extra and the clutch kicks out .... the restart, or lack thereoff does not fit this diagnoses though ....

second guess - what is your current ambient conditions ?

Under high load conditions the high pressure goes up, and the condensor fan is supposed to kick in .. often this fan does not kick in and the pressure keeps going up untill the unit shuts down on HP. Would not expect to see this in normal winter temperatures ....

only way to get a better feel for the actual cause - get a techie to put a set of guages on it and SEE what happens before it shuts down

Return to “The Workshop”