Front suspension squeak when turning

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
rooikar
Town: Modimolle
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 3.02000

Front suspension squeak when turning

Post by rooikar »

Hi All, brand new to this very informative site. Found lots of help before I registered thanks. I have a 200 2x4 KZTE and have just repaired my power steering pumps leakage. I now have a squeak when turning the wheels either left or right just off dead ahead. It sounds to be coming from the suspension and I have greased all available nippleswith no joy. Please can someone advise me what to check next. She has now done 396852 Kms any assitance willbe appreciated.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Front suspension squeak when turning

Post by ChrisF »

Welkom Daan.

Die manne speel oor die naweek. Seker iemand sal later hier wees om raad te gee.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It may be time to have the upper and lower ball joints replaced (both sides). Control arm bushes also develop squeaks but then it will happen with up - down suspension movement, even when travelling in a straight line.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
rooikar

Post by rooikar »

Thanks Andy, the squeak only happens when turning the steering slightly of dead center to either side and seems to come from the left hand wheel. Will buy a stetoscope today to check.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Does it make the sound when driving or when standing still?
Are you sure it is a squeak and not the sound of the power steering pump. I think sometimes a valve or something make such a funny noise.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
rooikar

Post by rooikar »

Hi Piet,no definetly a squeak when turning the wheels just off dead center The lower ball joints have no grease nipples and this is where the sound comes from on the left side. Driving or standing still
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Like I said, have them replaced. Pricey job but if they fail it can be disastrous and you cannot buy back life or limb. They normally don't just fail without warning, and the squeaking is your first warning sign - you might (or might not) still get another 50k km's with them but why take the chance. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Kan ook die stuurstang wees wat onder jou dashboard sit. Myne maak ook so al vir paar maande en het nog nie kans gehad om daarby uit te kom nie. Dit het begin na ek "wheel alignment" op my bakkie gedoen het. Hy maak meer geraas in die winter as in die somer. Weet nie of die koue 'n rol speel daar nie. Het ook deur alles gegaan en kon niks kry nie tot my broer vir my gesê het ek moet onder die dashboard kyk.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.

Return to “The Workshop”