No water in radiator what could cause this?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
bryanhart
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: 2002 raider dc 4x4

No water in radiator what could cause this?

Post by bryanhart »

Hi guys. I have a 2002 2.7i 4x4.she has 240000km.Today I noticed my temp gauge climbed above half way not normal....I checked radiator and it was empty but the plastic sump was full? I can't see any leaks ? Are there any checks I can do? I did notice water coming out of exhaust this evening when I started her? Checked oil no white bubbles? Any tips on what to check? I added water and it seems to be holding so the water mustbe a slow leak?
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Re: No water in radiator what could cause this?

Post by Dadz Toy »

At 240k you are in head gasket territory.
I have to God it's not but don't be surprised if it is your HG.

Rich :cooldude:
Rich :cooldude:
bryanhart
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by bryanhart »

Eshh. In term of replacing a head gasket ... If the engine is running fine surely it is no big job just to change the gasket ? I had the head gasket test done 2 months ago at Toyota and it was a negative ...
bryanhart
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by bryanhart »

is it possible to have a new head gasket changed even if it turns out nothing is wrong with the existing gasket?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You can do another carbon monoxide test on the radiator, a radiator pressure test and even a compression test. These can come back as negative and you could still have an intermittent overheating problem.

Was it a hot day when this happened? Were you towing with the vehicle or making it work harder than usual?

It could be that the HG has failed but then you would have a problem all the time and perhaps even notice air bubbles rising in the radiator from cold start with the radiator cap off. It could also be that the thermostat is playing up, or that the water pump is not as effective as it should be, or that the visco cooling fan is not providing enough airflow. It could also be that the radiator is clogged internally or even that the radiator fins are choked and restricting airflow. The radiator itself could be tired and no longer able to cool sufficiently, or a simple item such as a faulty radiator cap could be responsible.

A failed head gasket will force gasses from a cylinder into the water jacket even though the motor continues to appear to run normally. Any gasses in the cooling system will displace the coolant and overheating will occur. Such gasses are not only possible from a failed HG but can also occur if the system cannot hold enough pressure to prevent boiling of the coolant (coolant temps typically rise significantly above normal boiling point) - or there isn't effective enough cooling taking place to prevent boiling even if the HG is good and there are no leaks in the system.

If you aren't technically minded I would take it to a reputable radiator repair shop like Silverton.

Hope you come right. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

As to your initial question - why is the make up tank full and yet low water in the radiator :

The make-up tank works on a vacuum principle - engine heats up, a bit of water is pushed into the make-up tank. The radiator cap limits the amount of water by regulating the system pressure.

When the engine cools down the water contracts and cause a low pressure zone, sucking some water from the make-up tank.

In an ideal world water level in the make-up tank will go and down with the engine temp (see the hot and cold marks on the tank).

A faulty radiator cap can mess with this cycle ... first and cheapest item to replace.

I have seen instances where the little hose to the makeup tank got blocked by rust, and all was right after cleaning out, replacing, the hose.

A blown head gasket would cause MORE water to be pushed out of the engine to the make up tank, thus a water bottle that has water above the high mark may be the first sign of a blown HG ...

so there are a few options ,,, but a HG is the most common of these. Just check the others before going for the most expensive item first
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Bryan. If I were you, I would flush the radiator first. Buy something from Midas to flush your engine, it is the cheapest way to start do fault finding. If the problem persist then I will go for the thermostat. If the car lack power since the problem start, then go for head gasket replacement.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dowe Koos wrote:Hi Bryan. If I were you, I would flush the radiator first. Buy something from Midas to flush your engine, it is the cheapest way to start do fault finding. If the problem persist then I will go for the thermostat. If the car lack power since the problem start, then go for head gasket replacement.
If I may add, when you drain the radiator after flushing it - see if or how much rust comes out of the system ... :shock2: :o:

if it is bad - then chances are you only got some out, and some more are about to come loose - and cause havoc in the radiator .....

Insert more flushing chemicals, and go through this process until you are sure the inside if the engine is properly clean.

As soon as you know if the HG is okay, add some antifreeze - this is crucial to stop more rust from forming !!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Water coming from the exhaust is normal, you should see that each time you start your vehicle when the engine is cold. It is not to say that it indicates a problem.

Fill the radiator and see if it gets empty again. Because we now have expansion tanks we all tend to only look at the expansion tank and nether at the radiator. Is always good to once in a while also check the water level in the radiator not only the expansion tank.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

Unless you have no cat! Then ya wont see water out your exhaust.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Hydrogen is a base component in all fuels.

H2O is a standard byproduct of combustion.

Thus there is ALWAYS water coming out the exhaust pipe. But at operating temperature the water leaves as steam.

For the first few minutes the exhaust is cold enough that some of this water condenses in the exhaust pipe and is seen as droplets in the exhaust gas.

This is perfectly normal
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

ChrisF wrote:Hydrogen is a base component in all fuels.

H2O is a standard byproduct of combustion.

Thus there is ALWAYS water coming out the exhaust pipe. But at operating temperature the water leaves as steam.

For the first few minutes the exhaust is cold enough that some of this water condenses in the exhaust pipe and is seen as droplets in the exhaust gas.

This is perfectly normal
The reason why mild exhauxes rust so easily when drive short distance only.The water stays in the exhaust.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I would check the following before concluding that the head gasket has blown. Replace the thermostat, replace the radiator cap, check that the overflow hose to the surge tank is not blocked. Flush the radiator and then check if it is still losing water. If you always made sure that the concentration of anti-freeze is correct then it is unlikely that there could be corrosion to the water pump impeller but if not I would also check the water pump first. I have seen instances where the water pump impeller vanes were corroding away due to no anti-freeze that obviously results in the pump losing efficiency and the engine running hotter. The 2.7 engine is not prone to cracking cylinder heads like the KZTE and if the engine did not overheat and there is no corrosion issues there is no reason for the head gasket to go, regardless of the kilometres.
Last edited by Mars on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

:thumbup:
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Also check the heat exchanger in the cab. Its a absolute female dog to replace. My heat exchanger on the KZ burst and emptied my radiator. Easy way is just to bypass it and connect the inlet and outlet pipes going through the firewall.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Easy way to check that is after you drove somewhere, feel if the passenger carpet is wet, under the carpet. You will also get an antifreeze smell in the cab. Mine also started to leek and I just blocked it off 3 years ago.
bryanhart
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by bryanhart »

Hey guys thank you for all the advice! The cap was old and was faulty. The pipe to the sump was blocked with rust. The guys at Silverton said there was rust in the system..so I am gonna just get a new radiator and thermostat. Quite interesting is that the guys are saying I should not use the Toyota coolant fluid?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

The Toyota coolant is the Caltex product.

Just in a different bottle.

More important to make sure you use the correct type for your engine. One type for the older cast iron heads, different product for the newer aluminium heads
Cinco
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Marloth Park
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Club VHF Licence: HC243

Post by Cinco »

These days it is almost a pointless exercise to flush a radiator as the tubes in the radiator core are are so thin (very small internal volume) that they block up extrEmely easily. No flushing will get the particles out and replacement is the best option.
Wishing my life away till the next trip!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Cinco wrote:These days it is almost a pointless exercise to flush a radiator as the tubes in the radiator core are are so thin (very small internal volume) that they block up extrEmely easily. No flushing will get the particles out and replacement is the best option.
correct, but also only half the story ... :crazy:

YES, these new radiators do get blocked easily.

BUT, the flush is as much to clean the engine block of rust deposits as to clean the radiator. Which further increase the rate at which the radiator blocks up ....

BUT, you really SHOULD use a good flush IF there are clear signs of "rust". Both to clean the radiator AND the engine. KNOWING that the released particles WILL block the radiator. Remove the hose at the top and bottom from the radiator. Wash it with your hose pipe, first from the one side, then the other, again and again and again ... This does wash out most of the loose particles.

Then another engine flush, again wash out the radiator - IF you still get significant rust, well a third cycle is on the cards ....

We bought a car with 100 000km on the clock - and clear signs of rust in the radiator. Took 5 cycles to get the system properly clean. more than 4 years later and no further issues - we DID add a correct dose of anitfreeze after the last flush cycle.

Sadly cleaning a system with rust is a slow process .... do note that the radiator does NOT rust, the rust you see comes from the engine block. So when you do see rust in the radiator you really need to clean the engine before thinking of adding anti-freeze.
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Great advice from Chris. It is a schlep but you don't want your new radiator to clog again. People often neglect to check and make sure that there is sufficient anti-freeze in the engine. As I have stated before it also serves as a rust inhibitor.

Did they tell you why you shouldn't use the Toyota Anti-freeze? Personally I think it is over priced but other than that seems to do it's job.
bryanhart
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by bryanhart »

Ok once again thanks for the tips. All noted. Car is going in next week!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Mars wrote:Great advice from Chris. It is a schlep but you don't want your new radiator to clog again. People often neglect to check and make sure that there is sufficient anti-freeze in the engine. As I have stated before it also serves as a rust inhibitor.

Did they tell you why you shouldn't use the Toyota Anti-freeze? Personally I think it is over priced but other than that seems to do it's job.
1988 my mom's car had a major engine overall. As part of the process the block was properly cleaned. :thumbup:

The mechanic did not add any anti-freeze .... :o:

6 months later I serviced the car .. imagine my shock and horror when I saw a LOT of rust in the radiator water. :thumbdown: :crazy:

Flushed the system twice, and added anti-freeze. My mom had that car for a good few years after that, never had any issues with the radiator water again.

Somehow people hear "anti-freeze" and think they live at the coast and wont ever need something against "freezing" .... fact is that anti-freeze is as much about anti-corrosion as about the temperature.
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

Just a bit offtopic... but how do you dispose of the antifreeze?

Would not want this situation but chucking it down the toilet...
Capture.PNG
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Cobra
Vehicle: 2.7i Toyota Hilux

Post by Cobra »

Soek raad asb.
My 2.7i 2001 bakkie doen die volgende.
Water stoot uit by die radiator overflow na die plastiek container ( stoom ). Dus verloor ek water.
My bakkkie word NIE warm nie. Het nog nooit ge "overheat" nie. Ek top die water op kort kort.
Het die termostaat vervang maar nog dieselfde.....
Kan dit 'n foutiewe water pomp wees? Hoe weet ek dit?
Ek kry nie ander water lekke op my engine nie.
Geen water in die olie nie.
Help asb!
Last edited by Cobra on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

Try a new radiator cap
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

MCHILUX wrote:Try a new radiator cap
Why would you recommend that?
Just trying to understand the logic behind it. I am not an expert.
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by MCHILUX »

On the cap there must be a non return valve they tend to break off or doesnt seal properly this will cause water to be pushed into the resivoir
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by MCHILUX »

As daar lug in die sisteem is gaan die temp. meter normaal wys
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

MCHILUX wrote:As daar lug in die sisteem is gaan die temp. meter normaal wys
Dankie. Ek sal 'n nuwe cap gaan koop.
Sal feedback gee....
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

MCHILUX wrote:As daar lug in die sisteem is gaan die temp. meter normaal wys
R40 vir die cap betaal.
Probleem opgelos!
Baie dankie vir die raad. Ek waardeer.

Gerhard
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by MCHILUX »

Plesier

Return to “The Workshop”