NL charger vs NL battery box

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

NL charger vs NL battery box

Post by ChrisF »

Gents need your help please .....

With the NL Charger, which is just a solenoid on steroids, it IS possible to connect a dc-2-dc charger between the NL Charger and the battery.

also see - http://www.nationalluna.com/Datasheets/ ... manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The trick is that the OUTPUT from the second battery is via a separate electrical circuit.

Now the fun starts .... With the NL Battery Box there is ONE red wire that connects the charger circuit to the battery, AND this same wire connects the battery back to the output circuit ..... now you CANT fit a dc-2-dc charger on this dual purpose wire .... well you can, but now your circuit will only charge, and there will be zero volts on your output circuit as the dc-2-dc charger is a one way device .... http://www.nationalluna.com/Datasheets/ ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

QUESTION - anybody have photos of the inside of that electrical box of the NL Battery Box ?? Surely it should be possible to split the "charge" and "discharge circuits. Then connect the dc-2-dc charger in the charge line, with the discharge line going straight from the battery to the discharge circuit.

Gents we have a fellow Hilux member in need of this info ... and an upcoming trip .... please post them photos. :thumbup:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: NL charger vs NL battery box

Post by ChrisF »

en nou :mocking:

kom aan manne. Dis mos ons natuur om die goed beter te maak. Paar fotos van die NL box se binnegoed sal baie waardeer word.

Daar IS n charging circuit.

Daar MOET n discharge circuit wees ....

nou om uit te vind waar daai twee circuits split, en hoe maklik/moeilik dit sal wees om TWEE rooi drade na die battery te vat ..... dc-2-dc word gekoppel in die charging lyn se rooi draad .... teorie is maklik, nou om te sien waar daai circuits split. (hoop net dit is nie soos die ander produk waar als een circuit bord is nie)
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

ChrisF wrote:Gents need your help please .....

With the NL Charger, which is just a solenoid on steroids, it IS possible to connect a dc-2-dc charger between the NL Charger and the battery.
Chris have you checked this, somewhere on the data sheet I read if it dont see a battery , or no battery, it will not switch on. Thats why I modified mine to work of the wiper motor. Never checked , maybe I should reinstate it then.

The plan is also to have a removable battery at the back, with the option of a dc to dc charger, when required.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Johan this why I am asking help on this one. I dont have this unit, thus cant check or test ...

Please tell more of how you made it work on your system.

Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Chris, I dont have the NL box, just the NL solenoid under the hood. But because they say it will not switch if a battery is not connected I disconnected the computer part of the NL solenoid and take that wire to the wiper motor. Thats the thin wire that energize the solenoid form the computer. As said I did check what will happen if you connect a Dc2dc charger in between the NL and the aux battery. Just thought they may not talk to each other.

With the NL box fat the back you would need another place to energize the solenoid in the box. .

The plan is to use a 'empty' battery box (not from NL or snomaster) and mount a dc2dc charger to it, as a portable setup.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Eh het my Ctek 250s dual dc to dc laaier op my National Luna portable dual system boks gemonteer.My Cteck is direk op die battery in die boks gekoppel.

Die twee laai stelsels werk apart van mekaar. Ek het n rooi brad harrison konnektor op die input drade van die ctek gekoppel. Ek gebruik dus die selfde drade vanaf die starter battery wat ek inplug op die N/L op die ctek.Ek besluit dus watter laaier ek wil gebruik en plug dan die rooi brad harrison plug daarin.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

The Legend wrote:Eh het my Ctek 250s dual dc to dc laaier op my National Luna portable dual system boks gemonteer.My Cteck is direk op die battery in die boks gekoppel.

Die twee laai stelsels werk apart van mekaar. Ek het n rooi brad harrison konnektor op die input drade van die ctek gekoppel. Ek gebruik dus die selfde drade vanaf die starter battery wat ek inplug op die N/L op die ctek.Ek besluit dus watter laaier ek wil gebruik en plug dan die rooi brad harrison plug daarin.
Dus basies n Ctek LAAI stelsel, met n NL battery box vir die krag uitset.

BAIE DANKIE vir die terugvoer.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

ChrisF wrote:
The Legend wrote:Eh het my Ctek 250s dual dc to dc laaier op my National Luna portable dual system boks gemonteer.My Cteck is direk op die battery in die boks gekoppel.

Dus basies n Ctek LAAI stelsel, met n NL battery box vir die krag uitset.

BAIE DANKIE vir die terugvoer.
Jip -Plus ek het n back up laai stelsel sou een van die twee probleme gee .
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks to Dawie for sorting this out. See more over here - posting.php?mode=quote&f=41&p=486423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “The Workshop”