New Tyres for my Hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
NJVermaak
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: 2009 3D4D
Club VHF Licence: MG08

New Tyres for my Hilux

Post by NJVermaak »

Afternoon Gents,

My first post on the forum here, I recently purchased a 3.0 D4D and I'm looking to change the tyres.

Currently I have 265/70-17 BF Goodrich AT tyres on my 3.0 D4D Hilux, I'm looking to put some new tyres on, what would you suggest or what do you have on your Hilux that does the job well.

I have full OME suspension, but could still do with a little extra ground clearance. When travelling with my family I also tow a Bush Lapa Miskruier.

Any advice from the experts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
NJ Vermaak

'09 Hilux D4D

Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I will have another beer.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: New Tyres for my Hilux

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard Nicolas! :thumbup:

The Hilux Vigo owners will be able to better advise on what tyre size you will be able to fit without them fouling against the bodywork under articulation. I'm under the impression that the standard rim size was 16" but I see that you have 17" fitted. This will reduce the profile height that you will be able to fit - higher profiles are generally better for off-road conditions as well as ride comfort. I'm guessing that with the OME suspension lift you should be able to get as much as a 32" overall tyre diameter to fit, but the Vigo guys will confirm. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Hi there Nicolas

17" rims came out with the 2012 facelift. Before that it was 16" and in 2005 till 2009 it was 15". So a whole range of rim sizes. The 16" rims came in to compensate for the bigger front (Fortuner) brake calipers, that were fitted on the 2009/2010 facelift. The 17" rims were just for show.

I think you are already one size up on the profile there Nicolas, if I am not mistaken the std size is 265/65x17?. Without some lifting you are going to get problems if you go any bigger.

I'll leave tyre brands to the guys who read the magazines... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Welkom Nicolaas

All valid points above. Also bear in mind the "tow-ability", or lack there off as you put bigger tires on.

The rule of thumb is to stay in 3% of the original tire diameter. This would be even more applicable with towing.

some tough decisions to make. best of luck.
NJVermaak

Post by NJVermaak »

Thanks guys.

I've decided to go with Cooper ST Max, same size. Busy getting quotes for the best prices.

Doing a river trip in two weeks and need the new shoes fitted by then.
NJ Vermaak

'09 Hilux D4D

NJVermaak

Post by NJVermaak »

So yesterday I had the new tyres fitted to my Hilux. I ordered Cooper ST Maxx 265/70-17, the same size as my previous BF's.

When I got home I noticed that the new tyres are touching somewhere when making sharp turns (left and right). I thought it was scraping on the mudflaps, not the case - the new tyres are touching on the steering mechanism next to the wheels.

In the below photos you can see how close they are. On the left hand side with wheels turned straight I can't fit my hand between the steering mechanism and the tire, but I can on the right....

Now, my Hilux came standard with 16" rims, which were replaced with Dakar rims, 17" by the previous owner. He had 17" BF's and did not have a problem with these.

Now the guy at the fitment centre reckons it's the knobs on the side walls that come out further from the tyre, which is not the case on the BF's and the Coopers have a thicker sidewall, which is why it's touching they way it is. On the one photo you can see that where the mechanism will touch is "between" knobs.

I'm of the opinion that a 265/70-17 tyre is exactly that, a 265/70-17 tyre. Yes the Coopers are a more extreme/bulkier looking tyre, but can the thicker sidewall and knobs on the side make such a big difference?

Am I missing something here? I am by no means a tyre expert, I know VERY little! How do I resolve this? Fit smaller 17" tyres, new mags, maybe change to 245? Spacers are also an option but not something I'm really keen on doing. Any advice would be appreciated.

LEFT

RIGHT

NJ Vermaak

'09 Hilux D4D

lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

What offset are ya wheels? Will need a minimum of +30 to fit 265s.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
NJVermaak

Post by NJVermaak »

lukestoyzx wrote:What offset are ya wheels? Will need a minimum of +30 to fit 265s.

How do I check the offset?
NJ Vermaak

'09 Hilux D4D

lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

Pull a wheel off and measure from the outside of the rim to the mounting surface on each side and work out the difference [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016072 ... 6fedab.jpg[/img]

Return to “The Workshop”