2700 i Vibration on Pullaway - What is it??

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

2700 i Vibration on Pullaway - What is it??

Post by petri oosthuizen »

I bought a 2700 a while back.
The vehicle has a slight vibration on pullaway. It's not clutch, and not propshaft (I had those checked).
What else can this be?? Mounting?? It's just at pullaway, no other issues then, the car runs perfectly.

" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2700 i Vibration on Pullaway - What is it??

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like a clutch shudder. I know you say you had it checked but even a brand new clutch can shudder,specially if it has not been properly aligned with an alignment dowel when fitting the pressure plate. Shudders can also be caused by a burnt clutch plate or pressure plate.
Check al the mountings first to eliminate that as a possibility, if it's not that, then replace the clutch plate, pressure plate and have the flywheel surface skimmed lightly. Replace the release bearing & spigot shaft pilot bearing at the same time.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thanks Mud

I've been thinking about tyres today - it literally feels like a tyre with a knob in it (but just slightly so). It's not a shudder - feels like you're pulling away over some small klippies.
Maybe I'm full of crap, and no-one else feels it. But I do.
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

I dont want to make you worry, but when I stripped my truck to do the overhaul now, I had a slight shudder on the clutch. When I removed the motor I found that the pilot bearing was not in place, it was wedged in the clutch plate so it could not have fallen out when I removed the motor. :shock2: :shock2:
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Forgot to mention - it also had a noise at around 100, I delivered an Echo 3 in Pretoria last week and sommer took the Lux. I then sent it to Propshaft place, they fitted a "sleeve and ??", and balanced the whole lot.
That shudder on pullaway was a bit better since then - but still there.
It's not a clutch I think. If you pull away at idle, it's 100%. Or if you pull away briskly, it's also 100%.

Again, this is VERY feint guys. I've felt it on previous Luxes before, but on others not.

Mileage is on 263 000, if that helps.......??
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

How old is the new clutch. Had similar issue after 1000km it went away but I also found a cracked mounting on the bellhousing which I replaced.problem went away. So my problem was really 2 fold but an easy fix
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Flywheel skimmed?

If not its a guaranteed shudder.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Guys - no, this is not a clutch shudder. The (really slight, but there) vibration is when you "already pulled away"..........meaining, if you let it coast in first at idle and floor it, the vibration is there.
I thought propshaft, had the thing balanced and new whatchamakolits fitted - it's slightly better, but still there.

Not a trainsmash - some may not even notice it. Bit is IS there. I'm finnicky with cars.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I've once before experienced something similar and not sure if yours might be the same problem. It was indeed the clutch plate .... the small radial coil springs in the plate that help to cushion any jerk, sudden acceleration etc were a bit weak and resulted in a sort of jerky "shudder" at times (not necessarily under pull-off - would even do it up to 3rd gear, especially under load).

If it's bothersome enough, I would do the clutch and be done with it.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

If the Hilux has a raised suspension setup it could the propshaft angles thats causing the vibration only on pull away
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Mud - thanx

MC - You're right, I actually forgot about this. It has OME suspension.

Not a deal breaker, but will be nice if it's sorted. Thanks again, will look into all possible causes.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

LouisZ wrote:Flywheel skimmed?

If not its a guaranteed shudder.
I do not agree.
Image Link Broken
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

MCHILUX wrote:If the Hilux has a raised suspension setup it could the propshaft angles thats causing the vibration only on pull away

Very likely.
Image Link Broken
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Every time I left a flywheel not schemed with a new clutch replacement it shuddered. Do not matter if its a Hilux, Corolla, golf, Jetta. These was my own vehicles. Not fun to take everything apart to get the flywheel out to get the work done properly. After no shudder.

So its my norm now to insist on the flywheel to schemed with a new clutch replacement.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

If there are no high spots or grooves from the rivets on the flywheel it is best left alone. Everytime you skim the flywheel you bugger up the balance. May lead to vibrations and bearing damage.
Image Link Broken
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

LouisZ wrote:Every time I left a flywheel not schemed with a new clutch replacement it shuddered. Do not matter if its a Hilux, Corolla, golf, Jetta. These was my own vehicles. Not fun to take everything apart to get the flywheel out to get the work done properly. After no shudder.

So its my norm now to insist on the flywheel to schemed with a new clutch replacement.
maak mens SUPER gatvol, Louis - halwe werk. Gaan HELSE job wees om dit uit te sort, as dit die flyweheel is. Klomp ure se arbeid. :crazy:
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Knuppel »

Petri, met al jou jare onderving weet jy mos teen die tyd of dit n clutch shudder is of nie.
Image Link Broken
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Beslis nie clutch shudder nie, Marius. Ek en die laaities het die naweek bass gevang, en die Hilux trek die bootjie uit teen 'n steil helling - GEEN shudder nie.
Ons het een aand gaan jakkalse soek, in 4x4 deur los sand (ou lande) voel dit vir my of die vibrasie weg is - maar kan my verbeelding wees. Sal later vandag weer kyk.
Voel soos 'n ge "wopte" propshaft teen lae spoed - asof iets nie lekker in lyn is nie. Maar het klaar daarna laat kyk. Bietjie beter, Klannie het nuwe goete ingesit en propshaft gebalanseer, ens ens (hy het getril op so 100km/h). Nou doodstil - dis net daai good vibrations.
Kan oon nie 'n mag wees nie, hy maak so op die los grond ook.
BAIE min, maar hys daar. Hy word amper "beter:, maar dis dalk omdat ek hom gewoond raak.
Mornes
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 DC 4x4 AT

Post by Mornes »

Petri, het jy toe jou pul away vibration probleem kon oplos?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Morne' Smuts

Toyota Hilux 2007 - 4.0 DC 4x4 A/T: TRD Supercharger, OME Suspension, Outback Canopy, 29Mhz Radio, 32 BFGR Tyres, Unichip, Echo 4 Trailer, Duel Battery System, Snorkel, ARB Bumper
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mornes wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 am Petri, het jy toe jou pul away vibration probleem kon oplos?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Hy het daai bakkie laaaaaaaaannnnnkal weer verkoop - hy is 'n kar smous van beroep.

'n Moontlikheid wat nie genoem word nie is die centre bearing. Ek het my Kz lank genoeg gery om deur elke moontlike vibrasie te werk.

Een keer was die centre bearing self onderstebo ingesit....deur die uwe!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Een keer was die centre bearing self onderstebo ingesit....deur die uwe!
Ha Ha, ek het gistrer dieselle met my trokkie gedoen. Gelukkig was Hoppy daar om my reg te help en te verduidelik dat die een gaatjie altyd moet ondertoe wys en die twee gaatjies boontoe.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Post by GTO »

My 2700i also has developed a shudder clutch has 140000km on it(330000km on vehicle), clutch was changed when Input shaft bearing packed up at 190000km.
Mine shudders on pull away and also in reverse but if I increase the revs to a bit higher than I would normally pull away at its much better.
Also noticed it even changing to 2nd but its not as pronounced.
I am pretty sure its the clutch.
Its been like this for a few months now, just reluctant to spend money on clutch that probably has a lot of life left on it, on my 2.4 SRX I got 290000km out of the original clutch.
2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It does sound like a clutch shudder. Unfortunately it doesn't go away.

JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

If you're satisfied that's it's not the clutch, I would suggest that you carefully recheck the u-joints. My truck had a vibration at startup and at around 86 kph. Turned out there was a single needle bearing missing from one of the rear u-joint caps. Replaced the joint and now 100%.

- JAMES

Return to “The Workshop”