E10 fuel in 4y engine Boofhead award too me

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brisbane Australia
Vehicle: 1985 4 runner sr5 3y engine

E10 fuel in 4y engine Boofhead award too me

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hey Guys , Well I've kicked myself enough ok .But need your advice :beg: . Have put a few tanks of e10 e85 when fuel prices raised . At times when going around corners . Or inversed upwards long hills car wants too cut out or runs on like 3 cylinders . have been back on unleaded . Will fill with premium fuel next time . Fuel filter not old , but but yes start again . Suggestions fuel tank other issues I have likely too have caused . :frustrated:
No one has ever made it out alive yet .
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: E10 fuel in 4y engine Boofhead award too me

Post by Mud Dog »

Russel, if it was only a couple of tanks you should be OK. My concerns would be that an '85 model was probably not compatible with unleaded fuel and thus the valves and valve seats may have taken a bit of strain. The other thing is that if you're running on a fuel octane rating that is too low, you also run the risk of burning valves. Pull the plugs and examine them, they will give you a clue as well if the electrodes have been excessively 'eroded'. I would replace with new plugs at the same time and see if that makes a difference.

(With my older model I used to keep a couple little bottles of lead substitute additive behind the seat in case I had a situation where leaded fuel was not available and I had to fill unleaded.)

If your problem persists after you have looked at all the possible alternative causes (fuelling, ignition etc.) then you might have to pull the head off and have the valves checked. If it's not too bad they can be re-ground, but it would be in your interests to replace them with valves and seats that are compatible with unleaded fuel which will save a lot of aggravation down the line. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hi Andy ,
Thanks for reply
Unleaded fuel is fine to use in my car . Its the Ethanol blend fuels that aren't good for it . Will run a few tanks of normal unleaded and premium through engine . Have December off will start with new sparkplugs / filters oil etc . Still chugging along just hoping no long term damage . Me thinking could be wrong but fuel system contaminated also . :slap:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Ahh .... if it's ethanol, then there could be damage to some rubber items like seals, hoses etc. Not all rubber can handle ethanol, even if it's formulated for petrol. It's a bit of a long shot, but if that has been the case then you could have some tiny bits of rubber that may be partially blocking a jet, but since you talk about it missing on inclines, I would suspect the float level. Maybe the needle & seat seal has been affected - easy enough to check if it's an original Aisin or Nikki carb, they have a sight-glass on the float chamber (facing forward) and the level should be exactly on the ½ way mark when the vehicle stands level.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Thanks Andy will have a look at level .

Return to “The Workshop”