Advice needed

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Shimano
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC125

Advice needed

Post by Shimano »

I have a vibration on my Lux when I reach about 100 kph. Below 95 and above 120 kph it does not vibrate. I had Goodyear Wrangler MTR's 32" on and since the beginning had problems in getting them balanced properly. I have now fitted BFG's A/T 32" and the vibration is still there but not as bad as before. What else can I look at to try and solve this issue?
Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Advice needed

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

A very common problem mate :o:

Only answer:

Wheel Alignment (after ever Trail) :shock: :P
Shimano
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC125

Post by Shimano »

Thanks Rich. I will have it checked.
Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Werner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D 4x4

Post by Werner »

Hi Wynand,

Had the same problem on my Hilux.

Suggestions that I got:
1. Check that your rims aren't buckled
2. Check the shocks
3. I replaced my steering damper and it was gone completely until I sold it.
Werner Goosen

'94 80 Series Land Cruiser

I don't know.....I don't care.....I just don't
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Wheel Alignment (after ever Trail) :shock: :P
We'll make the wheel alignment guys rich when we do the alignment after every trail. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Should the prop shaft balance not be checked?
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Harold is right check the prop shaft it is is not coming from the wheels. Had a similar issue on my lux once. Had to get the prop balanced center bearing and on universal changed :cry:

The Plasticjero also has a slight vibration between 120 and 130 on the speedo. It does not have Universal Joints though as the rear suspension is also independent. The prop is one of those expensive jobbies with the rubber couplings at the ends so I was made to believe that you need to replace the entire prop. In my case since it is only very slightly and no further harm could really be done as it is normally not the propshaft that causes the vibrations but the rubber couplings itself I just avoid driving in that region. But on an SFA it could wear out a few more things so have it checked urgently.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

The intermittant vibro is a classic sign of front wheel alignment. :Geek:

Mine runs beautifully "hands free" right up to 150km/h after having an alignment, however as soon as I do a Trail the intermittant vibro returns, firstly at 80+ then dissapates at 120km/h. :x

Fortunately I have a mate with a SupaQuik Dealership so I pop in frequently to check my tyres for balance and alignment. I rekon R200 is a small price to pay when you consider how quickly a badly balanced and aligned R2000 tyre can run off. :wink:

Would you belief that you can even throw your tires off balance when you deflate them for sand and spin the wheels a bit. :shock:

Sand has a terrible habit of getting between the bead and tyre which breaks the air-seal and causes the tyre to rotate on the rim, John's Prado tyre that kept going soft had moved more than 30mm after doing the Dunes. :o:
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Rich, it may seem as though the wheel alignment is what is making it better after a trail but it is in fact the wheel balancing that is causing most of your problems. When you drop your tyre pressure to do a trail the tyre is almost instantaneously out of balance and when you pump it up again after the trail it stays out of balance.

Unless you have hit a few major rocks etc, your wheel alignment should stay right and generally doesn't cause the vibrations you are taking about.

Next time you do a trail and experience them, try balancing only. Im not saying all vehicles are the same but in my experience it is the balancing that causes vibrations between 80-100 km/h.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Scooter wrote:Rich, it may seem as though the wheel alignment is what is making it better after a trail but it is in fact the wheel balancing that is causing most of your problems. When you drop your tyre pressure to do a trail the tyre is almost instantaneously out of balance and when you pump it up again after the trail it stays out of balance.

Unless you have hit a few major rocks etc, your wheel alignment should stay right and generally doesn't cause the vibrations you are taking about.

Next time you do a trail and experience them, try balancing only. Im not saying all vehicles are the same but in my experience it is the balancing that causes vibrations between 80-100 km/h.
Will try that after doing Boegoeberg and then I'll report back mate :wink:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

But guys you are missing the point of the 1st post. He said the vibration was experienced on more than one set of tyres already so I am sure it has been balanced already. If you look beyond the tyres the prop is the next likely origin of vibration. If you are sure the prop is OK then look at the tyres and maybe rims again.
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 89 2.2 Hilux DC

Post by freeflyd »

I agree with Bennie,

I've had similar problems before. Once it ended up being the universal joint on the prop shaft, the second time it was actually the prop shaft itself.

Unless they did not balance the wheels when he got he new tyres....
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

I dont think we are issing the point at all. Wynand reckons he had problems balancing the MTRs from the start so what stops the BFGs from having the same problem.

I am not saying that there isn't a problem with the prop and it should be checked as well.

Wynand, do you have any one close to you with a lux that you could swop wheels (something completely different) for a test? If it still vibrates, check the prop and sundries.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I'll put Bennie's Corporate Pension Fund Balance on Wheel Alignment :o: :wink:
ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: cape town
Vehicle: volkswagen tdi

Post by ecotech »

everybody is stuck on wheel balancing and allignment. i had the same problem with hiler and mine was n worn out ball joint on the left lower wishbone. i was so slightly worn that the wheel allignment did not pick it up but after it was chanced hitler ran like a true deutche panzer. straight and true with no vibes even after having done 2 trails without a hint of wheel alignment
loop maar met my voete!!!!!!!!!!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Just a very stupid suggestion, but it did catch me out on Bulldog when I got him back from the Spray Painters. Make sure your front hubs are not locked. Someone did this on BD when he was being resprayed and I never realised it, but it certainly vibrated at that same speed. I thought my prop shaft had gone and then noticed the front hubs were locked "ON". Unlocking them cured the problem.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Family_BullDog wrote:Just a very stupid suggestion, but it did catch me out on Bulldog when I got him back from the Spray Painters. Make sure your front hubs are not locked. Someone did this on BD when he was being resprayed and I never realised it, but it certainly vibrated at that same speed. I thought my prop shaft had gone and then noticed the front hubs were locked "ON". Unlocking them cured the problem.

-F_D
Not a stupid suggestion at all hey :P , some mischievous youths have done it to my Toy whilst parked up too :x
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hey has anyone thought of wheel alignment or wheel balancing? :twisted: - for Bennie :twisted:

One one of my previous vehicles a had a similar vibration issue, turned out to be a buckled/warped rim(think the wife clipped a curb :shock: )!

B
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

snipes wrote:
One one of my previous vehicles a had a similar vibration issue, turned out to be a buckled/warped rim(think the wife clipped a curb :shock: )!

B
The Wife? :mrgreen: :twisted: :D:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Shimano,
Did you find out the reason for the vibration?
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “The Workshop”