Engines to avoid

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Engines to avoid

Post by pietpetoors »

I found this very interesting, maybe can help somebody who are thinking about conversion choices.

Quoted from http://www.wheels.ca/news/here-are-8-en ... uld-avoid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toyota 3.0 L V6

Toyota’s 3.0 L V-6 is prone to clotting with oil sludge and seizing up in 1997-2002 models with this engine, although Toyota is apt to blame owners for not changing the oil often enough or for using the wrong oil.

Many experts disagree, suggesting a defect in the breathing or circulation system is the likely culprit.

The affected models include V6 models of the 1997-2002 Toyota Camry, Avalon, Sienna, Highlander and Solara. The Lexus ES300 and RX300 used the same ill-fated 3.0 L V6. After 2002, Toyota made some improvements that appeared to solve the problem.

Toyota settled a class-action lawsuit in 2007 that covered an estimated 2.5 million Toyota and Lexus models made between 1997 and 2002 susceptible to engine sludge. The automaker agreed to repair sludged engines for up to eight years after leaving the factory.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Re: Engines to avoid

Post by pietpetoors »

Also found this one interesting , the comment on the VW 1.8 Turbo.
On my Auris 2.0 D4D the guy at Toyota said I must use Synthetic oil and I did exactly as described below, decided it is a load of crap and opted for normal oil. So it seems like sometimes there is a reason, besides making more money, that manufacturers suggest synthetic oil.
Apparently, Audi/VW may not have informed owners that the engine required synthetic oil, so owners (and dealers) proceeded to use conventional oil after the break-in period. The usual coke/sludge issues appeared and engines failed in considerable numbers.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I believe the Ford Kuga 1.6 turbo engine is also best avoided... they apparently run a little hot!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I doubt that somebody will consider it an option for conversion into a Hilux
Streetracer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: 3.0 d4d 4x4 auto fortuner 2011

Post by Streetracer »

pietpetoors wrote:I doubt that somebody will consider it an option for conversion into a Hilux
Well i had the same engine in my Fiesta ST and after software it made 138kw and 349nm at the wheels. The boost came in at 1700rpm and it made peak torque at 2500rpm. That little engine will actually be an interesting transplant. The power delivery smooth with zero lag.

With a 3 inch pipe, decent induction and an upgraded turbo it can easily make 200wkw and 450+nm.

However, there will be cheaper options lol
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Wow, that is impressive.
Bullebak
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Prado VX 2008

Post by Bullebak »

:mocking:
Mr_B wrote:I believe the Ford Kuga 1.6 turbo engine is also best avoided... they apparently run a little hot!
:mocking:
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

Post by petri oosthuizen »

........Die Kuga is 'n vuurwarm kopie..........
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer

Return to “The Workshop”