overheating problem 2.4 surf

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
banditpete
Town: Bridport
Vehicle: ssr 2.4 td

overheating problem 2.4 surf

Post by banditpete »

Hi guy's. Have a overheating problem with my 2.4 surf. Have replaced the head, has new radiator waterpump viscous fan. Round town runs perfect but any load on the engine cause's the temp up. Have even taken the thermostat out so should run cold. Only thing I have not re connected is the air con pump. Can anyone help or think of something I have missed.
Pete
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: overheating problem 2.4 surf

Post by The Legend »

Peter
Did you clean you radiator properly,did you use Toyota antifreeze and last thing did you replace your radiator cab with original Toyota one?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You've looked at all the obvious stuff that covers cooling, so now you have to look at excessive heat generating factors like incorrect fuelling. Have you cleaned the MAF sensor, checked diesel pump, filters (fuel and air) and injectors? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
banditpete

Post by banditpete »

Yes correct fuel and changed the rad cap. Will have a look at the maf sensor and diesel pump. coolant and rad cap are otp's
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Might be, and I sure hope its not the case, that you have a crack in the head you have put on.

Even though it might have been pressure tested, the head need to be heated to operating temperature and only then tested.

This happened to me previously, and believe you me we struggled to find the crack.. It tested perfectly when cold. My car would drive with the heat gauge almost stuck at a certain level, and then all of a sudden the temperature would climb fast and very high when going up a hill.

Hope you get to the bottom of this...
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

How sure are you that its really overheating, may just be the gauge having a problem or does it start spewing steam?
Image Link Broken
banditpete

Post by banditpete »

Bosfebok wrote:Might be, and I sure hope its not the case, that you have a crack in the head you have put on.

Even though it might have been pressure tested, the head need to be heated to operating temperature and only then tested.

This happened to me previously, and believe you me we struggled to find the crack.. It tested perfectly when cold. My car would drive with the heat gauge almost stuck at a certain level, and then all of a sudden the temperature would climb fast and very high when going up a hill.

Hope you get to the bottom of this...
Know nothing is guaranteed but it is a brand new head
banditpete

Post by banditpete »

Knuppel wrote:How sure are you that its really overheating, may just be the gauge having a problem or does it start spewing steam?
bypassed the original temp gauge with a dash mounted one. Doesn't spew steam. Only overheats when going up hill when the engine's under load. Will happily sit at just below halfway whilst pottering round town or on the flat
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Here is another wild thought for you.

Is the radiator new or refurbished?

Had a case once when a cruiser kept overheating after it broke the fan belt. No matter what you did it started to get hot when it saw a hill. Eventually we removed the radiator again, after it was sent for cleaning and checking, and saw that the tubes inside had expanded to such an extent that they block the airflow through part of the radiator. We re-cored the radiator and then problem solved.

What happened was when the v-belt snapped the engine overheated and the release on the radiator cap could not vent the steam fast enough and it then popped the normally oval tubes into round tubes. Not very obvious unless you do a personal inspection looking for that specific problem!
Image Link Broken
banditpete

Post by banditpete »

Brand new rad as were all the parts I have replaced

Return to “The Workshop”