Swap Hilux 2.8L diesel for 3.4 L 5VZ-FE 24-valve DOHC V6?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Honduras
Town: Valle de Angeles
Vehicle: Hilux

Swap Hilux 2.8L diesel for 3.4 L 5VZ-FE 24-valve DOHC V6?

Post by Honduras »

Is it possible to swap the Hilux 2.8L diesel for a 3.4 L 5VZ-FE 24-valve DOHC V6 gas motor in the 1998-2004 Hilux? It's not that I don't like the 2.8L diesel, it's just that here in Honduras, all the Hilux with 2.8L have extremely high mileage and overhaul cost is quite high. I'm looking to buy a 2000 to 2004 and they all have the 2.8L diesel engine, and so I'm just curious before I buy if this swap is possible? And what's involved? I would probably only make this swap if the diesel quite running - but just wanted to find out if it's even doeable. Thanks.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Swap Hilux 2.8L diesel for 3.4 L 5VZ-FE 24-valve DOHC V6?

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes it's been done and quite possible - not too popular because the 5VZ-FE is quite thirsty, but it's a real hardy motor. There is also a fair bit of modification and work involved - engine mountings to be changed and moved, bell housing and clutch, after market ECU, high pressure fuel pump and surge tank, cooling fan mod and so on.

Personally, as much as I like that old V6, I think you would be better off fitting a Lexus V8, but that's just my opinion. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Honduras
Town: Valle de Angeles
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Honduras »

Thanks for the great information. Which Lexus V8 is it? Does it require less modification?
Sounds like the 5VZ is too complicated.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

It has been done, have a look here:

viewtopic.php?t=22479

viewtopic.php?t=15916

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Lexus 1UZ or 3UZ ..... no less complicated, but the Lexus motors can be sourced cheaper and easier. Also, fuel economy between the two will be much the same but with the V8 possibly fairing a fraction better and delivering a bit more horses.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”