Cracked fuel injector

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux D/C 2.2 Petrol (4Y SFA)

Cracked fuel injector

Post by Ryperd »

So I was trying to check the spray pattern on one of my injectors, but when I pressurised the fuel rail, it popped the injector out onto the floor, and it now has a crack, which I assume is not good.
injector.jpg
(29.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Is it necessary to replace it, and if so, can anyone recommend where to get one in Pta/Jhb (part # 23250-54011)? I've tried Diesel Electric, who don't have, and the stealers want R3,600 and would need to import. I can get a 23250-75090 for R1,000 from Toyota Bakkie Spares, but that looks different to what I have.
Tom Cruiser: 2001 Land Cruiser 79 1HZ
Ryperd: 1994 Hilux D/C 4Y SFA - sold
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: Cracked fuel injector

Post by Ryperd »

Could it work to just fix it with some pratley putty?
Hilux.e.cape
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: 1989 Hilux dc 4x4 lexus

Post by Hilux.e.cape »

I wouldnt use prayleys. Will come off and hurt your valves etc.
Have u phoned some scrapyards. Sure they might help for a fraction of the price....

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

That's exactly the problem, If anything comes adrift it will be sucked into the motor and do damage. How is the spray pattern without the broken piece?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Speak to Northern Diesel. They are in Propshaft Road in Waltloo. At least they should be able to advise you. I seriously doubt that you would be able to glue/stick that.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

That's just the plastic cap that is cracked. If the needle in the front still sticks out and it give a good cone if its energized its fine.

Those caps if your patient Toyota can order. Use part number 23291-73010(called a injector isolator). The Landcruiser 80 3F motor share the same cap. :thumbup:
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

Thanks for the advice! I pulled the loose piece off and it still seems to be giving a good cone. Also nothing loose that might come off later. Will see if there's anything noticeable in the performance, but otherwise sounds like I should be okay. Thanks for the part number Louis, it's good to know where it comes from!

When I looked closely, a couple of other injectors also had hairline cracks in the isolators, so it seems it's nothing unusual.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

whilst on the topic, I'd like to check the injectors on mine. Should I rather take it somewhere to have it checked, or can Isafely DIY it and what do I look for i.e. how do I know if it must be reconditioned/replaced?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I think you can check them out yourself, just don't drop them. :D: Lay them out so that you can look at the conical spray pattern ( a black / dark background will help). They won't pulse individually, probably two and two, so that helps a bit with the visual comparison. Cones should be uniformly formed and of the same density (equal fuel volume).

Here's the important thing to remember .... disconnect the coil before cranking, especially if you pull the plugs for easier cranking! Also make sure that there are no other possible ignition sources about.

Otherwise, if there is no specific reason / performance problem why you would want to do this, a lot less hassle is to throw a cup or two of diesel into your tank every 10,000 km's ... it cleans the injectors. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Does 2350 70028 make any sense.
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

Mud Dog wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:49 am I think you can check them out yourself, just don't drop them. :D: Lay them out so that you can look at the conical spray pattern ( a black / dark background will help). They won't pulse individually, probably two and two, so that helps a bit with the visual comparison. Cones should be uniformly formed and of the same density (equal fuel volume).
They are only held in the fuel rail by o-rings, so when the fuel rail is loose from the manifold, they can pop out like corks when the system is pressurised. You might need to hold them in place while someone else cranks the engine.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes, I understand that Rudi, one has to remove them from the manifold and connect the harness again when testing. Someone has to crank for you while you inspect.

Return to “The Workshop”