Carb Connections 4Y Engine

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Jay6
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 1985

Carb Connections 4Y Engine

Post by Jay6 »

Good Day

Please can someone tell me what this ( attached image) connection is for at the base of the carb?

It is between the intake manifold and carb.
Attachments
IMG_20170314_110456_283.JPG
OFE007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Toyota hilux raider 1994

Re: Carb Connections 4Y Engine

Post by OFE007 »

Mine is connected with a rubber hose back to the tappet cover!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Crank-case ventilation or brake booster vacuum. Johan says his is connected to the tappet cover, which is crank-case ventilation, but I'm not sure that's how it should be. maybe one of the 4Y guys like Dawie can confirm.

What makes sense to me and what is normally the case, is that crank-case ventilation is taken off before the carb, normally somewhere between the air filter element and the carb barrels, while brake booster vacuum is taken of after the carb, either off the base of the carb or the manifold itself. (This gives fairly constant vacuum to the booster and is also not a free flow of air that interferes with the air / fuel mixture ratio.)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Andy, my 4y is an EFI now so I can not check it but as far as I can remember it was just a rubber pipe connected to the carb with some metal breather or filter on it hanging down the engine.It is open at the end and does not connect anywhere.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
batavia
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mossel Bay
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by batavia »

Presies soos Dawie sê.

Wonder nou al 10 jaar wat de hel is dit.

Return to “The Workshop”