Auto transmission stuck in gear

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
auquhollie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: stonehaven
Vehicle: hilux invincable 3.0 2006

Auto transmission stuck in gear

Post by auquhollie »

Evening Gents, i hope the good people of the forum can shed some light.

I have a 2006 Hilux invincable 3.0 D4D AUTO. I am having a major headache with the Automatic transmission at the minute. It started with the vehicle not changing up a gear (periodically), when i dropped off the revs it would switch up and away i went. I decided to change the ATF however before i could do this it progressed to being stuck in what i suspect first gear. Now the transmission is stuck in first and no matter what gear i select, neutral, reverse etc..... it stays in first gear.

What ive done so far, i drained the sump and replaced the ATF, i then drained the ATF and removed the sump. I then removed the filter and cleaned it out. I found a small amount of metal shavings and some sludge. I then removed the three electrical solenoids and flushed and tested them with a 12 volt battery. The two solenoids that are situated together worked away fine. The third solenoid (the one on its own) was very sticky, if i tapped it hard it would open then with 12v it would close. I replaced it with an original from Toyota. I then reinstalled everything and filled up with new ATF. Getting the oil upto temprature i moved the gearbox through all the gears waiting several seconds in between. I checked the ATF level and it is on the upper line on HOT.

None of this has made a bit of difference. I have removed all of the electrical connectors and they all seem to be ok.

When the gearbox stuck in gear the engine light came on, i plugged in the MAXISCAN and there was two faults,

P0741 Torque converter clutch circuit performance / stuck off

P0751 Shift solenoid A performance / stuck off

If anyone has seen this before or has any advise please jump in, im about done :surrender:

Adam
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Re: Auto transmission stuck in gear

Post by Dirka »

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum.
You have done everything I would've done, and you have done it well.
Unfortunately one can only go so far.
I personally think it is now time for the professionals to take over.
..and it is going to cost you.

But, you have options.

The P0751 code you can disregard. It is only a result of the P0741.
There are many causes. Mechanical, electrical to dirt stuck somewhere.

The 0741 is given when the TC is turning ot of spec in relation with the transmission input shaft. (Greater than 200 RPM)

I say send it to the know how.
They have a specific table of elimination to sort out a difficult one like this.

You most probably going to have to pay for a 'strip and quote',
or you might option for a recon unit.
You just have to wheigh up your options.

Let us know how it went. Would really like to know the cause.
Thanx for posting.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
auquhollie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by auquhollie »

Dirka,
Thanks for the reply. I must be honest im getting to this stage right about now.

I am 99% sure that there is some crap stuck some place thats stopping oil flow. The sludge in the sump was bad and the oil burnt. Going by the gasket sealer on the sump ide say its original, making the filter 10 year old !!!

One other symptom was it lost power a few hours previously, it would go into gear but wouldn't move up a small incline, i guess it was slipping ?

Ads
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes, it was probably slipping and I agree with Dirk, you've gone further than most would in trying to find the cause but it's time to get professional help. Good luck, hope it's not serious and just a blockage.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
auquhollie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by auquhollie »

Thanks for the reply's lad's. I have called a few breakers and im thinking just to replace the box. What with finding metal shavings in the sump and filter even if i got the box working i suspect ive done damage that would require an overhaul. I think it would be cheaper and quicker just to replace the box and be done with it. Especialy when the shift solenoid cost me £280 :shock2:

Ads
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Makes sense! :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
auquhollie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by auquhollie »

Well dropped the box in preparation of the new one arriving, the bell housing had approx 1L of ATF inside it so looks like the Shaft seal had gone. I am pretty sure it would have been loosing pressure and likely causing it to stick in gear.

Ads

Return to “The Workshop”