Trouble Bleeding LN65 (2L) 1985 Hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ShadrachLH
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1985 Hilux LN65

Trouble Bleeding LN65 (2L) 1985 Hilux

Post by ShadrachLH »

Hey gurus,

Having trouble bleeding air from my LN65. I replaced the fuel filter last week and I haven't been able to bleed the air from the system.
The person who installed the last filter tightened it down so much I had to remove the entire assemble just to remove the filter.
While I had the assemble out I took it apart and cleaned everything up and painted the holding bracket before putting it back together.
The problem I'm having now is that I can get the truck to run smoothly for about a minute before the fuel level in the filter drops and the engine starts to starve.
If I take off the out line and top up the filter and restart the engine it runs smoothly again until the level drops.
Could it be a blockage in the lines from the tank? or am I just doing something wrong?
I've tried using the hand pump to prime the system and cracking the injector nuts to let the air out and that has helped to get the engine started after it starves.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
(Filter I put in was a Ryco Z169A)

Cheers,
Shadrach
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Trouble Bleeding LN65 (2L) 1985 Hilux

Post by Mud Dog »

This is obviously a diesel that you're talking about and I'm no diesel fundi but I'll give it a try.

With the filter filled the motor rubs so I don't suspect the injector pump, but id there a lift pump?
You can blow the line back to the tank (filler cap off) to satisfy yourself that the line isn't blocked but I am more inclined to suspect that it's sucking air at the filter connections. This could be the reason why it was so tight before or perhaps even the cause of it sucking air now (connection seals damaged).

I'm not sure what the connections look like, if there is a seal washer in there or if it's just metal to metal. Metal to metal are normally flared type connections and it could be that there is a crack in the pipe end on the flare or that the mating surfaces are compromised. If there was some way, even temporarily like with PTFE tape, to ensure a seal on the filter connections, you could confirm or eliminate that as the problem.

Hopefully one of the diesel-heads on the forum can provide more authoritative advice. Hope you get it sorted.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Re: Trouble Bleeding LN65 (2L) 1985 Hilux

Post by Froll »

Hi Shadrach, I have also had a problem on a Ford bakkie at work. I later found that the suction pipe in the fuel tank had a crack where the pipe goes through the plate. I replaced the part and the problem was solved. We have a lot of dirt roads where I live with bad corrigations and I think this cracked the pipe over time. We have a lot of tank problems due to the vibration. :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”