Toyota missing carb?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
turbo6906
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 1989 2.2 4y

Toyota missing carb?

Post by turbo6906 »

Hi guys frustration has the best of me.

I have been in scotland for 8months now. Since then my bakkie has been standing idle.

I'm home now and tried to start it. After changing plugs the car started and I noticed that the oil was full of petrol. I have a 2.2 4y with a "China carb" on it.

When it finally turned over, it was missing horribly and died. Now it starts but slugs out and is missing horribly.

I think it is the carb that's maybe gummed up?

We tried spraying clean directly into the carb with no improvement.

Could it be that the carb is dirty or something is stuck in there causing it to over fuel? I have no real mech experience.

If this might be the case, could someone explain how to clean and redo the carb without un tuning it? Need help guys. I'm gatvol.

Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Toyota missing carb?

Post by Mud Dog »

It sounds like the needle valve which controls the fuel level in the float chamber is either stuck or leaking. Either way, the air / fuel ratio will be very rich, prohibiting the motor from running while dumping fuel into the motor. This excess fuel runs down past the pistons into the crankcase, mixing with the engine oil.

Carefully strip back the top of the carb (the float and needle valve are attached to the top cover). Check if the needle moves freely and that it shuts off when the float is gently pushed upwards while blowing into the fuel feed pipe on the cover.

If faulty, replace the needle valve. Try not to alter the float level setting by bending the tab on the float arm. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
turbo6906
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 1989 2.2 4y

Post by turbo6906 »

Thank you. Appreciate👍🏻 Must I get a kit in order to do this? Gaskets ect?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

A gasket shouldn't be necessary if you take the cover off carefully - just use the old one. Very often it will remain attached to one of the surfaces, and that's fine - don't try remove altogether unless it's been damaged and requires replacement. You might well need a replacement needle and seat. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”