I Broke my tailshaft Tailshaft =(

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ktmonkey
Town: Blacktown
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

I Broke my tailshaft Tailshaft =(

Post by ktmonkey »

Hey Everyone

I'm new to the forum and had a little epic 4wding last weekend. Long story short I snagged a rock and broke the rear section of my 2 piece rear drive shaft.
So I'm having difficulty finding a second hand Drive shaft and I was wondering if the its a bad idea to go with a solid piece shaft or weather there is a shaft of another random Truck that fits it and only the most experienced and seasoned Hilux 4wders know about. I found a new part for $600 for just the rear section that ive broken but it seems a little much.

Just looking for advice really or if anyone has or knows someone willing to sell a tail shaft for my truck

1996 2.8d SFA dual cab 2 piece Tails haft.

Any input would be really helpful.

Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: I Broke my tailshaft Tailshaft =(

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Luka! :thumbup:

The solid single shaft is usually used when one does a major suspension lift so as to overcome the acute universal operating angles that result. My opinion is that it's not recommended - the centre carrier bearing takes some of the weight load off the pinion bearing at the diff and the output shaft bearing at the X-fer box which helps to save those bearings and seals. The other downside is that the single shaft is a lot more exposed, reducing the vehicles break-over angle dramatically and increasing the risk of damaging the shaft again. I wouldn't do it. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ktmonkey
Town: Blacktown
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Re: I Broke my tailshaft Tailshaft =(

Post by ktmonkey »

Thanks for a fast reply friend
I do have large lift on my truck but my universal joint angles aren't too far off straight on my rear diff. But I think I'm going to go with the 2 piece shaft.
The engineers probably made it that way for a reason and it never let me down before this trip. Anyone know any good wreckers in Sydney for Hilux parts?

Regards Luka

Return to “The Workshop”