4x4 sump for 4Y motor?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ds J
Town: Stella
Vehicle: Hilux

4x4 sump for 4Y motor?

Post by Ds J »

Where does one find a 4x4 sump and pickup for a 4Y motor at a reasonable price, and how does this mythical beast look?

Longer version of the short story: my dad bought this Hilux 2.0 brand new, late in 1984. The engine got damaged at 426 000km and he fitted a new 2.2l 4Y engine. I don't know whether it is a Chinese or Korean or Japanese engine.

A few weeks ago the bakkie started leaking oil and a friend offered to do the job for me in his spare time. Once they had pulled the engine hey saw that the engine had a 2-wheel sump fitted and that the front axle had beaten the sump quite a bit.

So we are looking for a 4x4 sump and pickup for our beloved old bakkie and cannot find anything. I have spoken to 4x4direct, Toyotabakkiespares, N1 4x4 etc. There are quite a few sumps at Vredefort but neither we nor they know how this famed 4x4 sump looks. Gemini Parts has one, but it is really expensive.

Please help!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 4x4 sump for 4Y motor?

Post by Family_Dog »

As far as I remember, the sump just has the oil-pump bulge on the other side so that it doesn't catch. When people do engine swap outs, they normally just swap sumps between the old 4Y and the new replacement, if it is one of the after-market engines built for a 4x2.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Ds J

Post by Ds J »

Hi Family_Dog, yes, that is how it is supposed to be done. I have contacted the guy who took over the old motor and he sold it to a taxi boss so I won't find the original one. The guys who did the transplant did not know about the different sumps and that is why I am stuck with a 2-wheel drive sump on a 4-wheel drive bakkie. From the bumping and bruising of the front axle the current sumps inner wall is within 3mm off the pickup. It is a question of time until it breaks and I drive my 50 000-km engine into serious damage.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I found out about this the same way ;) But I kept the old engine, just swapped sumps over.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

A possible alternative is to take the current sump and modify it ( cut and weld) using a similar gauge sheet metal where needed. The new sump basin should hold about 1½ litres or more of oil. The current dipstick should still be usable but might have to be trimmed, depending on your sump modification.

You would also have to modify / extend the oil pick-up and because of the added length it should have a support bracket that attaches to one of the bearing cup bolts. Without that support you run the very real risk of vibration cracking the extension pipe, which will result in the pump sucking air and no oil pressure.

Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ds J

Post by Ds J »

Evening Folks,

We found one not far from Vryburg on a farm. Now to see whether it fits.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hopefully it will! Please take the opportunity to take some photos so that we have the views of both sumps for future reference.

-F_D

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

On the 4Y the 4x4 Hilux on the SFA the bulge sits at the rear.

On any other ie like Taxis its in the front.

Other thing also after the sump come off the Taxi 4Y you have to take the Oil pickup off, swop it for the 4x4 Hilux oil pickup.
Difference is the 4x4 one is longer.
Ds J

Post by Ds J »

I have ordered a 4x4 4Y pickup from Toyota. We will mount the new sump in such a way that it resembles the bulges and bumps of the old one ;)

Return to “The Workshop”