22R Choke Idle Speed Adjustment

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

22R Choke Idle Speed Adjustment

Post by Tim86 »

Hi All

I have a 1995 22R with the Brospeed mod - upon cold starting the motor runs at rather high revs (2000-2500rpm) until it has warmed up and I have blipped the throttle. I have ploughed through the manual and am at a slight loss as to how this may be adjusted down to more driveable revs so can anyone advise on why this may be the case and if there possibly is a simple screw that adjusts the choke idle speed?

Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 22R Choke Idle Speed Adjustment

Post by Mud Dog »

First thing to look at is if all the little linkages and spring loaded lugs are free and not sticking or full of dirt / grime. A spray with WD40 can help.

Then check the choke butterfly - firstly that it isn't sticking and that it's properly adjusted. Adjusting is achieved by loosening the 3 little screws that hold the choke actuator but this should only be done if there is maladjustment. Check it first when the motor is cold (and not running) by removing the air intake from the top of the carb - there are two upper butterflies, the one on the drivers side is the choke (the other one is the 2nd stage). the choke butterfly should be almost closed (2½ to 3 mm open). Blip it with your finger to see that is is free and returns freely.

Then start the motor and as it warm up, watch if the choke butterfly opens fully when hot.

There is not much that can be adjusted on these carbs (the only other adjustments are idle speed and the idle air screw but these may also be out. What you can try if the choke butterfly checks out, is to turn down the idle and open the air-screw incrementally (note how much you turn them in case you need to revert to the old adjustment). This should bring down the cold start idle a bit .... should be in the region of 1500 - 1200 rpm.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Well Mr Mud Dog

Thank you for the info.
After the replacement of various seals, axle shift, mods, and a good deal of reading I finally got my head around this carb - worked out that it was missing the idle mixture adjustment screw. Previous owners had replaced it with an allen key bolt...??? Just took it for a spin with a new screw - what a dream:) Timing chain tomorrow :thumbup:

Congratulations on your recent purchase by the way, I'm envious!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear that you got it sorted Tim! :thumbup:

Thanks, yes, the "crawler" Lux is very capable and has been put through some less than 'totally wild' paces and so far I am pleased with it. Before it can be fully unleashed it has to get some body protection - the steel for the sliders arrived today, so for the next week or three I will have my spare time cut out for me.
I was contemplating shortening the load bin to reduce the rear over-hang (the single worst drawback of our Hilux's) - the departure angle is simply crap. But then I wouldn't be able to fit a canopy unless I made a custom unit and the mind is not quite there on that score yet. I will definitely be remodelling the front bumper / bull bar a bit to improve the approach angle, but first things first. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Oh please bob Sifu Lux!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You're not helping right now! :laugh2:

But seriously, I have been giving it a lot of unhealthy thought. Some of the stuff we do here is quite rough and one of the main reasons why I bought Sifu Lux was to save the LTD. He (or she) has been built up for that kind of thing and the guys here like to push the boundaries. My rear overhang on the LTD is a real plough and I've still got grass stuck between the double pipes of the rear bumper from 3 or 4 weeks ago. :blink:

Bobbing the tail will take away the off road disadvantage, but there's a lot to be considered and worked around - the physical alterations / bodywork to shorten the load bin, the canopy issue, repositioning the spare (probably a swing-arm) shortening the chassis rails and modifying the rear bumper. Like I said, my mind is not quite there yet. :scratch:

Besides all that, Andrew would probably come back from the US to punish me for desecrating his baby. :D:

Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

I've also had the aluminium canopy in the back of my mind for a while, although that means an extra 10k or so for a MIG, which I don't have - the 10k nor the MIG:)

Motor is running smoothly now although the choke does not work. There appears to be no current delivered to the choke thermal spring through the red wire just after start up (I measured the voltage to ground). I assume there is meant to be a constant current to the spring??
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes, a constant current. Try trace the wire back, maybe it is damaged or even cut.

Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Traced it all the way back to alternator problems, no current to the choke as the alt wasn't putting out voltage through the charging light wire.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Whew! What a saga, but at least now you have it sorted and understand the workings better than most. :thumbup:

Rudolfes
Town: Trompsburg
Vehicle: 4Y Telcoline conversion

4Y Telcoline convertion.

Post by Rudolfes »

It is not a Tata anymore, it is now a Tayota. This forum is of great support, thank you!

Return to “The Workshop”