Need Some Feedback On The Golf Carb Mod

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Need Some Feedback On The Golf Carb Mod

Post by pampoen »

Hi guys, so I have come to own my third old hilux so far in my life. I will post pics of this one, It is a 2.4 carb with what looks like an aftermarket header. When I bought the bakkie the choke was permanently stuck on so the bakkie idled at 1200rpm. Immediately I pulled the carb off and took a crash course in cleaning and resembling it. So far it seems to be running well except for the electric choke which does not operate at all(to be repaired). Anyway, off topic....

I would like to know if there are any members running the golf 1800 carb conversion that Lindsay originally posted all those years ago. What is your experience and do you think it does save fuel? Obviously any fuel saving would be a winner. Does this come at a loss in power? Is Lindsay still around? I heard he sold his Hilux.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Need Some Feedback On The Golf Carb Mod

Post by Family_Dog »

I do recall that Lyndsay did state use the original OEM Golf Carb, not the aftermarket generic ones. He seemed pretty happy with it at the time.

If you can get the parts, then EFI is really the way to go.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It's my understanding that the Golf carb doesn't do too well on the steeper inclines and side angles whereas the OEM carb is designed to be more accommodating in that department, so I would rather stick with it - just get the choke sorted.

As Eric said, EFI is the other option, but sourcing parts can be tricky and you may well encounter some teething issues. However, once sorted it will give you better driveability, a little more power and a slightly better fuel economy. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Here is a post from Lindsay

"The vw carb does suprisingly well on inclines and declines and todate have never had a problem, I have seen you at some of the 4x4 challenges and was told about the conversion by Johan Fourie who also takes part. evidently there are some of the guys in the club who have done the conversio(4y) and they have put it to far more extreme use than I have. I have actually found that it performs far better on the steep bits as the original carb always had a flat spot as the second barrel opens. that has gone completely"

I have driven an EFI 2.2 and It feels pretty good. Unfortunately not all of us are the same and I love the idea of no computer boxes or dropped maps or dyno's.

Anyone still using this carby conversion?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmmm ..... and what about side slopes? I cannot comment first hand, only what I recall having heard or read. I'm also not too fond of the idea of introducing more electronics, but these things have come a long way and dropping of maps is now almost unheard of. The EFI route does still offer some real advantages and I would still keep it as a serious consideration.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Mud dog, I agree 100% with you. Actually if I had the cash I would prob have a Lexus v8 vvti fitted and get better economy. But I thought it might be worth checking on any of the guys who had done this conversion if any are still around. It has been a few years since then.
Ogre
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux SFA

Post by Ogre »

I also want to go the Golf carb route, I wanted to do EFI, but couldn't find anyone here in Joburg to do it, so i went and bought a caravan instead and now all my hard earned loot is depleted, so Golf carb it will have to be.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Hi Ockert,

What engine are you running in your Lux? I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “The Workshop”