Advice on OEM wire gauge

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
mldave
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Angels Camp
Vehicle: 1986 Toyoyta Hilux 4x4

Advice on OEM wire gauge

Post by mldave »

On my 1986 Toyota truck 4x4 2.4 motor,does anyone know the original from the factory wire size of the wire from the positive battery post to the 80 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box? I was planning on using a 14 gauge(AWG) fusible link wire at the positive battery post that is butt connected(spliced) to a 10 gauge (AWG) at the fuse and then wrapped with electrical tape.Would this work?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Advice on OEM wire gauge

Post by Mud Dog »

Open to correction here, but I think it's 16 or 18 sqmm. (The core diameter would then be in the region of 7 or 8 mm).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mldave
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mldave »

Thanks for the reply Mud Dog,but I can't figure out how to convert that to AWG(American Wire Gauge)?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Increasing gauge numbers denote decreasing wire diameters ..... so by my guess you would need AWG 1/0

guageofwire.JPG
awg.gif
awg.gif (12.12 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Also read here ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mldave
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mldave »

Thanks Mud Dog..

Return to “The Workshop”